Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a 7 seater car?

Can you recommend a 7 seater car?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:27 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you recommend a 7 seater car?

Originally Posted by stevemich
* Bulletproof Toyota
isn't that 'recall' Toyota?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:34 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

we love our Kluger
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a Nissan Pathfinder and love it. Great as the rear seats fold flat to the floor so can be used to carry big stuff you buy.
My kids are various ages nearly 18 to aged 5. Fits all of us.

Also its possible for a couple to sleep in the back when the seats are folded down. So could be used for a camping trip without the tent.

We liked the Kluger but when looking found the 3rd row seating area was very cramped.

Id check out the 3rd row before I bought any 7seater, as some are very cramped.

Ive seen a few Hyundia Imax 8 seaters recently. They are new, and only around $40K. So getting more popular. Not a 4WD though.

Gems
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:52 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Hi,

We have a Toyota Prado and Mitsubishi Pajero. Both are absolutely brilliant, would highly recommend them.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:31 am
Banned

howsyourfather is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had a Mitsubishi Pajero, I think I'd pass on all of the 4x4 and SUV options . . . fine for cumbrian sheep farmers, but far too uncomfortable and thirsty for me, plus you pay a premium for them. Honda Odyssey, Mitsubishi Grandis or an estate (wagon) with the rear two rear facing seats in-built (Volvo, Merc) or with a fold down third row added (Falcon, Commodore, Magna) . . . all much more refined.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Kia Carnival. Rushed into buying it really. Know absolutely naff all about cars and just knew how many seats we needed. Have to say its lovely inside and anyone that gets in comments on how roomy/comfy it is. However, it is totally crap on any sort of hill, no power at all. And I am fast learning that its heavy on parts/tyres all of which are non standard and bloody expensive. I have also been told that where other vehicles have 1 timing belt (wtf is that!!!) our car has 4 so when it comes to replacing them its another massive bill.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:15 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RenShen
We have a Kia Carnival. Rushed into buying it really. Know absolutely naff all about cars and just knew how many seats we needed. Have to say its lovely inside and anyone that gets in comments on how roomy/comfy it is. However, it is totally crap on any sort of hill, no power at all. And I am fast learning that its heavy on parts/tyres all of which are non standard and bloody expensive. I have also been told that where other vehicles have 1 timing belt (wtf is that!!!) our car has 4 so when it comes to replacing them its another massive bill.
Yeah, this is the reason I was told to steer clear. The servicing that is required is way more than most other cars and therefore a lot more expensive.

I'm told that anything other than a basic service is upwards of $2000 because of the time involved. Additionally the engines are bad and regularly need replacing (you'll notice that several Carnivals being sold mention new engines!!).
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fisher lass
Now we are thinking of getting a 7 seater when we get to OZ but dont want a people carrier/minibus type car.
The basic questions for the OP, of course, are: do you really need 7 seats? do you really not want to drive a people carrier? and if so, are you willing to take the hit in terms of interior space (if you get a wagon) or price in fuel and cost of purchase (if you get a big SUV)? Petrol's not cheap, neither are big imported SUVs...
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
isn't that 'recall' Toyota?
They are so easy to drive they often try to do it by themselves

Oh no, that was a Lexus, which in no way is a ponced-up Toyota.

7-seater? No idea, I'd opt for the snip and a Mark 1 MX-5 before things got out of hand.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just been visiting friends abroad and they have a Volvo jeep (XC90?) and it was just ideal to move us around. There was even space for cases and/or luggage.

Now we are thinking of getting a 7 seater when we get to OZ but dont want a people carrier/minibus type car.

What would you suggest?
Do you really need one i.e. have you got 5 kids ? A good quality 7 seater here [i.e. NOT a Kia] is bloody expensive.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

Do I really need a 7 seater? NO
Do I have 5 kids? NO

But guess what - I would quite like one.

And as we have a queue of family wanting to come over as well as family already there, it seems to be what we would like. As you know, you really need to drive everywhere.
I drive a Subaru Legacy 2.5 lux AWD and I think it is great for 2 adults, 2 kids and the dog (who is coming to OZ) but would now like something different. Have always had Mazda and Subaru have never let me down.

On looking at all the suggestions made i dont really think that any are going to be dearer to run than what we alreadyhave/pay.

Thanks again
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Do I really need a 7 seater? NO
Do I have 5 kids? NO

But guess what - I would quite like one.

And as we have a queue of family wanting to come over as well as family already there, it seems to be what we would like. As you know, you really need to drive everywhere.
I drive a Subaru Legacy 2.5 lux AWD and I think it is great for 2 adults, 2 kids and the dog (who is coming to OZ) but would now like something different. Have always had Mazda and Subaru have never let me down.

On looking at all the suggestions made i dont really think that any are going to be dearer to run than what we alreadyhave/pay.

Thanks again
Same reason as us. We are just a family of 4 but without the dog (I might have bought a Kia Carnival but I am not THAT stupid!!). Just knew when family stay they would not like to have to drive so I crawl along in a bus for about 40 weeks of the year so that our visitors have a nice holiday.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:36 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

We got an 2005 XC90 2.5lt Turbo 7 seater a year ago, and got to say we love it. Despite its size it is very easy to drive and can "go" very well. Very practical for us as we 2yr twins with all the stuff we can carry for them alone. Paid about $40k for it. It can be a bit thirsty as it is mainly used locally, but about $75 to fill it up and get about 450 -500kms out of that, maybe more if we were on a longer run.
Test drove a 3.2lt Turbo Diesel as well, pulled like hell, but decided we didn't really need that much power, and it had higher kms.
May go far an XC60 next time.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:52 am
Pie Eater

we bought a 2001 7 seater santa fe with 109,000km on the clock (with full service history). Cost us $13k.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:12 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We spent this morning looking at cars!!

You need to decide what is most important to you! There are a lot of 'fake' 4x4, that would die off at the first sight of off road terrain; there are quite a few 4x4 who's main purpose is off road!

From my look about this morning (also looking for a 7 seater 4x4) . . . Nissan Patrol is ugly and basic inside, and sounds like a truck! Landcruiser is big and bulky and can pull 3.5 tonne - but how ofter do you want to tow 3.5 tonnes. The Prado can tow 2.5 tonne, but I felt it was over priced, didn't like the way the 3rd row seats were secured to the side by just a clip and piece of fabric, AND there was virtually NO room once the 3rd row was up!

We test drove a Pathfinder and it def got the thumbs up from us! The ST (base model) is a bit basic inside, but the ST-L is much nicer! It drove well on the taramac, but has hi-low gear also, so it is more than capable of good off roading!

At the end of the day, these are just my feelings! I'm a full time mum, with 2 children (2 years & 11 years) and a small dog!

Good luck with your decision!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.