Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you leave the airport in transit??

Can you leave the airport in transit??

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:53 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default Can you leave the airport in transit??

We have a 6 hour stop-over in Singapore, don't relish the idea of spending 6 hours in the transit lounge, is it possible to get out of the airport and do a bit of sight seeing or is it best to stay put ? we arrive in Singapore at 3pm and don't leave until 9pm. Any advice would be great, we have two children with us 3 & 4 so if we can get out and wear them out ready for the next flight on to Brisbane it would be fantastic!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:58 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: Can you leave the airport in transit??

Originally posted by leanda
We have a 6 hour stop-over in Singapore, don't relish the idea of spending 6 hours in the transit lounge, is it possible to get out of the airport and do a bit of sight seeing or is it best to stay put ? we arrive in Singapore at 3pm and don't leave until 9pm. Any advice would be great, we have two children with us 3 & 4 so if we can get out and wear them out ready for the next flight on to Brisbane it would be fantastic!!!
Leanda

No worries!! Singapore even puts on a free (I believe) city tour for transit passengers. I think you have to be waiting a minimum of 5 hours so you are OK. Other people have mentioned it here and I've seen it on the countless times I've been at Changi airport. As you walk from your gate you will come across a desk where you can make a booking. They are in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. You could also give the kids a Sky Train trip between terminals - they run every few minutes and only take a minute. It is a monorail type thing as they have at Gatwick.

Enjoy

TennisOz

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 1:01 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As a minor point if you are clearing immigration I think you'll also need to complete a Landing Card ...
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 1:07 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by Alan Collett
As a minor point if you are clearing immigration I think you'll also need to complete a Landing Card ...
Alan and Leanda

The way I understood it is that you go to the desk with your transit card, book the bus tour and they put you on and off the bus without going through immigration formalities - or they do the formalities at the desk. Either way no great hassle but have your transit card and passports with you. I assume you are changing flights so you will have to go through connecting flights or whatever first.

TennisOz

Old Oct 4th 2003, 3:40 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tennisoz
Alan and Leanda

The way I understood it is that you go to the desk with your transit card, book the bus tour and they put you on and off the bus without going through immigration formalities - or they do the formalities at the desk. Either way no great hassle but have your transit card and passports with you. I assume you are changing flights so you will have to go through connecting flights or whatever first.

TennisOz

Thanks for the help guys, pleased to hear that something is laid on, would not have known otherwise, Cheers!
Old Oct 4th 2003, 3:49 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Can you leave the airport in transit?

With all the luggage we'll be taking, I want to know if I can leave my transit at the airport!