Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you help get rid of Cane Toads?

Can you help get rid of Cane Toads?

Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Can you help get rid of Cane Toads?

Just read on the BBC News site that:

'Cane toads have overwhelmed the local wildlife in Queensland. Authorities in northern Australia have launched a competition to find the most successful way of slowing the devastating spread of cane toads'.

See news story 'Australia hunts down toxic toads' at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4242107.stm

But seriously, has anyone here got any good ideas about how they could do it? My idea (playing repeats of reaility TV programmes such as Big Brother House, to drive them away) might be a tad too drastic...

Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can you help get rid of Cane Toads?

I quiet like running them over in my car. Or kicking them. Pouring salt on the buggers does bugger all in my experience.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Golf tournaments??
Cricket matches??
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Golf tournaments??
Cricket matches??
Had my first experience of cane toads on my recent visit.
I had a round of golf with a couple of guys from Sydney on the Sunshine Coast and was amazed to see them bashing the critters with their clubs as we went round.

By around the 9th hole I was getting more success with bashing the toads than I was with hitting the golf ball.

I didn't realise they were such a pest.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:48 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Apparently putting them in the freezer or pouring dettol on them :scared:

Either does the trick

Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:58 am
wombat42

NAPALM! Roast em' all.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

There could as many as 100 million cane toads in Australia today.
Yeah & 99 million of them are in our front yard .

Golf club are the weapon of choice in this house .
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

I've heard that if you hit them with a bat of golf club they can spray into your eyes, and it feels like you've been smashed in the face by a bigger bat or club!

always wear safety goggles on the golf course
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

You should open the world's first toad driving range!

Now there's an idea!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Helium Kid
Had my first experience of cane toads on my recent visit.
I had a round of golf with a couple of guys from Sydney on the Sunshine Coast and was amazed to see them bashing the critters with their clubs as we went round.

By around the 9th hole I was getting more success with bashing the toads than I was with hitting the golf ball.

I didn't realise they were such a pest.
It's so reassuring to see that the Brits (and their Colonial cousins) are just as soppy about animals as ever they were

Just joking: I know they are a pest (the toads that is, not the Brits )

So having beaten, frozen or poisoned the b*ggers, can we be really green and recycle them? Could one make high quality shoes/handbags etc out of their skin? Could their flesh be used as a new eco-friendly fuel in power stations? Or might their venom be useful for injecting into vain women's faces in order to get rid of those troublesome wrinkles?

I think we should be told....

Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:07 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

if you feed your cats/dogs outdoors, make sure it's out of reach of the toads.. cat won't touch the food if a toad has been helping itself from the dish.. same with pet drinking water - toads will have a bath in it, hence making water undrinkable... so again out of toad reach!!

I haaaate toads.. revolting things - but watch crows eat the flat-pack road kill toads - they flip them over onto their backs and proceed to extract bits from the underbelly - crows are noisy, but very very clever...
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:09 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
It's so reassuring to see that the Brits (and their Colonial cousins) are just as soppy about animals as ever they were

Just joking: I know they are a pest (the toads that is, not the Brits )

So having beaten, frozen or poisoned the b*ggers, can we be really green and recycle them? Could one make high quality shoes/handbags etc out of their skin? Could their flesh be used as a new eco-friendly fuel in power stations? Or might their venom be useful for injecting into vain women's faces in order to get rid of those troublesome wrinkles?

I think we should be told....

Anya.

Export them to the French !!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

now there's a money maker!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:09 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by leedslad
Or to Japan.

Hmm I should talk to the exporter soon

Badri
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:09 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by leedslad
The French would die a painful death if they tried eating these frogs considering they are poisoness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.