Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you buy property on a 475?

Can you buy property on a 475?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:08 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice
Default Can you buy property on a 475?

We're in the final stages of our 475 visa application and hoping to be out there in a few months.

Meantime I'm wondering whether - as 475ers - we can buy property in Oz?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice
Default Re: Can you buy property on a 475?

Originally Posted by stormywhether
We're in the final stages of our 475 visa application and hoping to be out there in a few months.

Hi there, I am keen to apply for the 457. Qualify in June 2009 and wondered when I need to started.. A hospital in Sunshine Coast has said they will accept me on their new grad course but I have to apply for the 457 myself.

Fingers crossed for you that it all works out well, I can't wait to get out there! Went last year and fell in love with the place, my brother lives there and my dad's moving out so at least I won't be missing them!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:36 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stormywhether

a simple answer is yes but there are restrictions. www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can (we did) but you need:

1. Minimum 20% deposit.
2. FIRB approval (which takes 10-14 days).

The FIRB approval step makes it difficult for you to buy a house at auction and also makes you slightly less preferred than local buyers.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

I think FIRB approval takes longer than that. If I'm right,they have to give you a decision within 30 days and,as they're usually v.busy it can take that long.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Got our FIRB approval inside a week!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We also got our FIRB approval very quickly. I think that it came sometime in the second week after lodging. Have to say I found them very efficient. The Case Officer phoned me up to check something and then once I'd sent him the requested documention called again to say our request was approved.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bushy
I think FIRB approval takes longer than that. If I'm right,they have to give you a decision within 30 days and,as they're usually v.busy it can take that long.

They quote a maximum of 30 days but in reality it is much quicker.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:29 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

we FIRB within a few days.

but then we became permanent residents, so it didn't matter
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:18 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

our FIRB approval on a 457 took exactly 30 days, and our settlement was 12 days later.