Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can you afford to be ill in Oz?!

can you afford to be ill in Oz?!

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default can you afford to be ill in Oz?!

We've had a bout off illness in the house and due to all the off topics on here lately i thought i'd do my info bit for the forum!!!

Leah got tonsilus and i had to pay $45 to see the doctor, then i got a cheque back from medicare for $25. I have since found out that doctors who don't bulk bill can basically charge you what they like for your visit and going by what other people have paid for seeing the doctor, i was ripped off. Still got an appointment same morning and after paying another $16 for the amoxcillin Leah was fast on the road to recovery.

SECONDLY (which is the BIGGEST shocker) my Mum, who is already an ozzie citizen and on no benifits or pension untill she turns 63, went to get her repeat prescription yesterday. She has congenital heart desease and an under active thyroid for which she has to take 5 prescribed tablets a day, just to live. Basically its going to cost her in excess of $200 per month just for the medication!!! There is a "safety net of $726.80 (!) which means that she will get her medication free when she has spent this much. Once she is able to claim her pension this amount goes down to $197.60.

Could any of you oldies let me know if these facts are correct and if theres anything that we are missing here, otherwise Mum really will have a heart attack having to fork that amount out each month!!

Lastly, i am v poorly and was shipped to the doctors kicking and screaming this am!! However we found a bulk billing one which was a lot less painfull, (apart from when she squeezed the glands in my neck!) just showed them my medicare card, signed a form, saw the doc and left! no money changed hands, Bargain!!! She also said that the medication that i needed was cheaper over the counter (and they were cheaper than in blighty)

Anyway i have to go back to bed, doctors orders, as typing this is causing further aches and pains! (summer flu type thingy, feels as though i've been hit by a road train!!)
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:09 am
Merlot

Default Re: can you afford to be ill in Oz?!

Originally posted by hevs
We've had a bout off illness in the house and due to all the off topics on here lately i thought i'd do my info bit for the forum!!!

Leah got tonsilus and i had to pay $45 to see the doctor, then i got a cheque back from medicare for $25. I have since found out that doctors who don't bulk bill can basically charge you what they like for your visit and going by what other people have paid for seeing the doctor, i was ripped off. Still got an appointment same morning and after paying another $16 for the amoxcillin Leah was fast on the road to recovery.

SECONDLY (which is the BIGGEST shocker) my Mum, who is already an ozzie citizen and on no benifits or pension untill she turns 63, went to get her repeat prescription yesterday. She has congenital heart desease and an under active thyroid for which she has to take 5 prescribed tablets a day, just to live. Basically its going to cost her in excess of $200 per month just for the medication!!! There is a "safety net of $726.80 (!) which means that she will get her medication free when she has spent this much. Once she is able to claim her pension this amount goes down to $197.60.

Could any of you oldies let me know if these facts are correct and if theres anything that we are missing here, otherwise Mum really will have a heart attack having to fork that amount out each month!!

Lastly, i am v poorly and was shipped to the doctors kicking and screaming this am!! However we found a bulk billing one which was a lot less painfull, (apart from when she squeezed the glands in my neck!) just showed them my medicare card, signed a form, saw the doc and left! no money changed hands, Bargain!!! She also said that the medication that i needed was cheaper over the counter (and they were cheaper than in blighty)

Anyway i have to go back to bed, doctors orders, as typing this is causing further aches and pains! (summer flu type thingy, feels as though i've been hit by a road train!!)
Not many things left in life for free is there?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Merlot

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get well soon!!

Regards

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

There is a "safety net of $726.80 (!) which means that she will get her medication free when she has spent this much. Once she is able to claim her pension this amount goes down to $197.60.
That $726.80 is an Annual figure, so it will only cost an average of $60.56 per month.

She may be eligible for the "pension category" earlier. Many people are on "Pension category", even at very young ages, single parents, low income earners etc. "Pension" doesn't mean the same in OZ as it does in UK.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just been to my American GP: US$130 for a 3 minute looksee (I knew that my sinuses need antibiotics) and another $60 for 6 tablets at the pharmacy in the supermarket..........
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That $726.80 is an Annual figure, so it will only cost an average of $60.56 per month.
but she needs to spend this amount BEFORE getting any for free, yes? or does she get something before that?

She may be eligible for the "pension category" earlier. Many people are on "Pension category", even at very young ages, single parents, low income earners etc. "Pension" doesn't mean the same in OZ as it does in UK.
She's not sure if shes entitled to any of above as she has some savings, but we will look into it, thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hevs,
know just how you feel. That road train must have been to Perth too

We've had the mumps in our house - think we are finally getting over it now though.

Hope you feel better soon

Claire
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

but she needs to spend this amount BEFORE getting any for free, yes? or does she get something before that?
Yes, I think she will need to pay it out first.

She's not sure if shes entitled to any of above as she has some savings, but we will look into it, thanks!
Tell her to spend the savings first that's what most of them do !! Check the info before talking to Centrelink though, some of them are mean buggers.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

Tell her to spend the savings first that's what most of them do !! Check the info before talking to Centrelink though, some of them are mean buggers.
NO!!! thats my inheritance she'll be sqandering!!!
thanks will get on to it
beckons, thanks for the get wells
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Know what you mean Hevs,

The system takes some getting used to.

I took young un in for an ear infection, docs were really good but I thought it was a bit strong to charge for the antibiotics.

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel that if I can afford to contribute for my health care I should but this was for a 5 year old.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
Know what you mean Hevs,

The system takes some getting used to.

I took young un in for an ear infection, docs were really good but I thought it was a bit strong to charge for the antibiotics.

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel that if I can afford to contribute for my health care I should but this was for a 5 year old.
The first Political party to bring in Free Medical care for kids will get my vote.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, the doctor can charge you what they like. Ours charges $35, medicare rebate of $25 so it costs us $10. The only suggestion is to find a cheaper doctor. Or one that bulk bills

Yes, unless she is on a health care card (agree with ABC, check out of she is eligible for a healthcare card now, she doesnt have to be over 63) she will pay full price for the medicines,once she pays the $726 she will get the prescriptions for the reduced price ($3.60 I believe, not free). Make sure she registers for the safety net & gets a card or goes to the same chemist all the time. What concerns me is the price she is paying for the medications. Assuming that they are all on the PBS (pharmacuetical benefits scheme), none should be more than about $23 (the max price for any drug included on the scheme). So even 5 scripts a month should only cost her about $100 assuming that they are all full price. Of course many drugs ARENT full price, the one that she would have to take for her thyroid, thyroxine (the same drug that I take) costs me $12 for a 3 month supply. Are you sure that the $200 is for a month? If the other drugs that she is taking arent on the PBS & arent subsidised then it might be worth asking the doctor if there is anything on the PBS that he could substitute them with to save a bit of money. Also ask him if its ok for your mothers prescriptions to be filled with a generic brand which are usually exactly the same drug (sometimes even made in exactly the same factory), but alot cheaper.

Also, check around different pharmacies & get prices. Sounds obvious, but some charge alot more than others. By shopping around we found one that did the boys medication for $12 less per script, when you have 4 or 5 scripts it adds up!! This is by far the best place I have found for medications, either prescription or over the counter, they do mail order & I have found them extremely helpful & very very efficient as well as being very cheap!

ePharmacy

Send them a quick email or give them a call (I think theres a fee call number from anywhere in Oz) & find out the cost of the scripts your Mum currently has, it might be significantly cheaper to order through them.

I know what its like paying through the nose from medications, the boys medications were costing us almost $200/month as well, but we had 3 prescriptions at $50 each plus full price PBS drugs as well. Luckily we found epharmacy & so saved quite a bit & since school started we have been trying another drug & it seems to be working ok for them & is alot cheaper & is only costing us about $50/month now.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 6th 2004 at 1:00 am.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that epharmacy run by bikies?

Boom boom.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Is that epharmacy run by bikies?

Boom boom.
Ummmmm that has to be a pommy joke, cos it went right over my head *woooooooooooosh*
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ummmmm that has to be a pommy joke, cos it went right over my head *woooooooooooosh*
Of course Aussie for e is eccy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.