Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can we sponser when we get there??

can we sponser when we get there??

Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Question can we sponser when we get there??

we have applied under independant skilled, and was wondering if anyone knows can we sponser my brother to migrate once we are there? if so how long will we have to be residents before we can do so? any info will be much appreciated!thanks
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: can we sponser when we get there??

Originally Posted by island.girl
we have applied under independant skilled, and was wondering if anyone knows can we sponser my brother to migrate once we are there? if so how long will we have to be residents before we can do so? any info will be much appreciated!thanks
I think you need to be citizens so your looking at between two & three years.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

A Citizen or a Permanent Resident can sponsor.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/index.htm

to quote "a family migration stream, where people can be sponsored by a relative who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident;"

Not sure on residency requirements but there are income requirements for the sponsor that you will have to meet and proof may have to be provided by means of a tax return, so that may be a sticking point for how long you need to be there for.

Phil
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
A Citizen or a Permanent Resident can sponsor.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/index.htm

to quote "a family migration stream, where people can be sponsored by a relative who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident;"

Not sure on residency requirements but there are income requirements for the sponsor that you will have to meet and proof may have to be provided by means of a tax return, so that may be a sticking point for how long you need to be there for.

Phil
If u r goin on a skilled designated sponsored visa....then the family member who is sponsoring you must be a PR and must have lived in a designated area for the past 12 months, if you have a seperate assurer then they must also be a PR holder and also meet the income requirements, but u r not restricted to one assurer u can have more than one
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

thankyou very much for your help i think i will leave it to my brother to look into!! im having enough hassle with our own application!! cheers
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by island.girl
Potentially a complicated question. Best thing I can suggest is read the Skilled Migration Booklet for the information on the skilled sponsorship categories. You need to consider:

- where you live in Australia (a designated area, the Sydney region, or somewhere else)
- the requirements for an Assurance of Support (normally 2 years tax returns with eligible income levels). Someone else can do the Assurance if able and willing.
- your brother's skills/age profile

You need to understand the difference between a sponsor or an assurer.

If your brother has no other family in the UK then also look at the Remaining Relative visa. No skills issue for this, but there is a mandatory Assurance of Support and you need to have been in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor.

Jeremy
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Potentially a complicated question. Best thing I can suggest is read the Skilled Migration Booklet for the information on the skilled sponsorship categories. You need to consider:

- where you live in Australia (a designated area, the Sydney region, or somewhere else)
- the requirements for an Assurance of Support (normally 2 years tax returns with eligible income levels). Someone else can do the Assurance if able and willing.
- your brother's skills/age profile

You need to understand the difference between a sponsor or an assurer.

If your brother has no other family in the UK then also look at the Remaining Relative visa. No skills issue for this, but there is a mandatory Assurance of Support and you need to have been in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor.

Jeremy
thankyou very much!!