Reload this Page >

Can we get benefits on 457 visa

Can we get benefits on 457 visa

Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Gina73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we get benefits on 457 visa

Hi
Does anyone know if we are entitled to child benefit(or any assistance!) if we are over here on a 457 visa. OH is working but I am not. Have 2 kids 4 and 2 who are not in childcare. Is it just permenant residents who get help?
Without my wage and no tax credits we are about $2500 down on what we had coming in back home a month Don't know if we can afford to stay here!
Thanks Gina
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can we get benefits on 457 visa

I'm pretty sure that you don't qualify for any of those benefits on a 457. Just for PR, and possibly certain types of temp visas like spouse, etc.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Have you looked at the Centrelink website, it does clearly state it on there.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Gina73
Hi
Does anyone know if we are entitled to child benefit(or any assistance!) if we are over here on a 457 visa. OH is working but I am not. Have 2 kids 4 and 2 who are not in childcare. Is it just permenant residents who get help?
Without my wage and no tax credits we are about $2500 down on what we had coming in back home a month Don't know if we can afford to stay here!
Thanks Gina
No child benefit on a 457 visa, or any other temp visa, although have you had a look at the LAFHA benefits ? That can be worth a bit if the employer does that.

Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:31 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

My understadning is no benefits - did you have discussion on LAFHA with your employer is this a direct tax benefit you have sorted out before starting work?

Cheers Sandra

PS edited as saying same thing as ABC - you really need to look at this quickly as it should have been agreed as part of the employment conditions before you started working or came to Aus.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks Gina
Hi we came over on a 457 and you do not get Family assistance,Sorry.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

No, you are not entitled to anything. We too are on a 457.
Cant wait until we are PR as we will be better off financially, also entitled to first time buyers grant.

Gems
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about

I thought I read that you may be entitled to Medicare if you are on a 457 but have applied for PR.

Has anyone ever heard of that?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a 457 and get medicare. I've been to a doc who charges and then went to medicare office and got a refund having shown them my reciprocal only card which they issued for the 457 visa. I also now go to a dr who bulk bills and I've paid nothing. Also had the PBS discount on medicines frome that same reciprocal medicare card. That said full and comprehensive medical ins was a condition of employment so we're covered by that too.

We get no other benefits - family benefit A or B, childcare tax, Rent allowance, 1st home owners grant etc

Lafha helps a lot though
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lambuel N Ruby
I thought I read that you may be entitled to Medicare if you are on a 457 but have applied for PR.

Medicare isnt a benefit - you get covered by it because there is a reciprocal agreement between UK and Aus for "necessary" medical treatment. If a temporary resident gets very sick but is stable, they can ask for you to be repatriated (happened to a friend of ours who was seriously injured in a car accident).

Any Pom coming to Aus is entitled to cover under that arrangement I believe - my parents came as tourists for 6 months every year and got a medicare card to cover their time here.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:23 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lambuel N Ruby

Yes that's true. That's why it's particularly important for people who don't have reciprocal health care like the UK does.

Originally Posted by quoll
Medicare isnt a benefit - you get covered by it because there is a reciprocal agreement between UK and Aus for "necessary" medical treatment. If a temporary resident gets very sick but is stable, they can ask for you to be repatriated (happened to a friend of ours who was seriously injured in a car accident).

Any Pom coming to Aus is entitled to cover under that arrangement I believe - my parents came as tourists for 6 months every year and got a medicare card to cover their time here.
You're right, but not everyone who comes over is from the UK. If a Canadian were to come over on a 457 they would not have the reciprocal agreement so no access at all to Medicare. However if they applied for PR they would then be eligible for Medicare. So for some of us that could be important. We came on PR though so it didn't make a difference to us, although it was definitely a factor.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Gina73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. Guess we will have to start doing the Lotto then!
We already have our Medicare in place. As for LAFHA-blank faces from OH employers
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. Guess we will have to start doing the Lotto then!
We already have our Medicare in place. As for LAFHA-blank faces from OH employers
some employers will give it and some dont - we dont but we didn;t ask to be honest - as our employers pd for everything getting us here and for the first 2 months and hubby is on a good wage.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

It can make a HUGE difference though especially if you have kids. Theres the rent and a decent food allowance to be considered.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I won't go into detail as there are many threads on LAFHA, but I think some employers refuse to "give" it as they think it costs them money.

Do your homework, give them the facts, and ask them if they can set it up for you.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes that's true. That's why it's particularly important for people who don't have reciprocal health care like the UK does.

You're right, but not everyone who comes over is from the UK. If a Canadian were to come over on a 457 they would not have the reciprocal agreement so no access at all to Medicare. However if they applied for PR they would then be eligible for Medicare. So for some of us that could be important. We came on PR though so it didn't make a difference to us, although it was definitely a factor.
Full Medicare (which 457 holders can claim as soon as they have most kinds of PR application) is better than the reciprocal scheme, in any case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.