Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can Sydney and Melbourne really become huge cities?

Can Sydney and Melbourne really become huge cities?

Old Jul 17th 2010, 6:38 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Sydney and Melbourne really become huge cities?

I'm just looking at the population-projections which forecast that both Sydney and Melbourne will become cities of over 7m inhabitants by the year 2040.

It is one thing to make predictions and another how accurate they turn out to be. In my opinion, the idea of both cities having more than 7m inhabitants in 30 years time, is simply unrealistic.

Why do I think it is unrealistic? Well, let me explain. The whole of Australia is even today at the very brink of how many people the land can support. The population of Australia is now about 20m people. Perhaps the land will be able to support another 10m or so but that will be the absolute limit.

The idea of two cities with 7m people in a country of 30m people just is not feasible.

I'm all open to differing opinions on the subject. Let them come if you disagree with me!

Last edited by THR; Jul 17th 2010 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can Sydney and Melbourne really become huge cities?

Originally Posted by THR
I'm just looking at the population-projections which forecast that both Sydney and Melbourne will become cities of over 7m inhabitants by the year 2040.

It is one thing to make predictions and another how accurate they turn out to be. In my opinion, the idea of both cities having more than 7m inhabitants in 30 years time, is simply unrealistic.

Why do I think it is unrealistic? Well, let me explain. The whole of Australia is even today at the very brink of how many people the land can support. The population of Australia is now about 20m people. Perhaps the land will be able to support another 10m or so but that will be the absolute limit.

The idea of two cities with 7m people in a country of 30m people just is not feasible.

I'm all open to differing opinions on the subject. Let them come if you disagree with me!
What's going to stop them? You cite that the land can't support more people and that's just nonsense.... and a lack of infrastructure or resources hasn't done much to slow down the likes of Mexico City, Dehli, Mumbai, Cairo etc anyway
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:47 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
What's going to stop them? You cite that the land can't support more people and that's just nonsense.... and a lack of infrastructure or resources hasn't done much to slow down the likes of Mexico City, Dehli, Mumbai, Cairo etc anyway
yeah but people don,t Live in those cities , they exist..........MM
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Why do you think the land can only support 30m people?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Water still remains a big issue. There has been a lot of rainfall this year over a big part of the continent and Melbourne along with most of Victoria has done pretty well out of that too, the fact remains that over the last 13 years, in general, there has been a record deficiency of rainfall over southern Australia in particular and an increase in temps. Now that we are starting to see 48C temperatures in some Melbourne suburbs, like in Feb 2009, this is becoming a huge issue also, how can people survive in cities on days that hot?

The dams are at very low levels and will take years of average to above average rainfall to fill again thanks to the overall dryness that has built up over the years. The desal plant is going to help heaps but it is not necessarily a perfect solution to the problem.

The state government, here in Victoria anyway, is pretty much useless at building and maintaining infrastructure for a growing population. The public transport system in Melbourne is pretty much a joke, not because it is inadequate in itself but because of the incompetent way it is run thanks mostly to the state government's lack of action.

Melbourne is at a very real risk of dropping massively down the livability rankings in the near future if we just chuck in a huge number of people into massive ad hoc housing estates on the city fringe without any consideration given to infrastructure and essential services. Australians tend to value their space to the point that most won't stand to live in high density inner city apartment living like in Europe and so you get the housing estates sprawling ever further into the rural areas. The country is far too urbanised, a few major cities and a handful of small rural cities and the rest are just small towns (2000-10000 people) and hamlets.

I would imagine the damage to the environment here from a large increase in population is pretty massive compared to the similar impact in Europe where there is a more reliable supply of water and housing is much higher density as a whole with less urban footprint sprawling into the countryside.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mr mover
yeah but people don,t Live in those cities , they exist..........MM
So what? You think a declining quality of life will stop Melb and Syd growing because I'm pretty sure it won't.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Water still remains a big issue. There has been a lot of rainfall this year over a big part of the continent and Melbourne along with most of Victoria has done pretty well out of that too, the fact remains that over the last 13 years, in general, there has been a record deficiency of rainfall over southern Australia in particular and an increase in temps. Now that we are starting to see 48C temperatures in some Melbourne suburbs, like in Feb 2009, this is becoming a huge issue also, how can people survive in cities on days that hot?

The dams are at very low levels and will take years of average to above average rainfall to fill again thanks to the overall dryness that has built up over the years. The desal plant is going to help heaps but it is not necessarily a perfect solution to the problem.

The state government, here in Victoria anyway, is pretty much useless at building and maintaining infrastructure for a growing population. The public transport system in Melbourne is pretty much a joke, not because it is inadequate in itself but because of the incompetent way it is run thanks mostly to the state government's lack of action.

Melbourne is at a very real risk of dropping massively down the livability rankings in the near future if we just chuck in a huge number of people into massive ad hoc housing estates on the city fringe without any consideration given to infrastructure and essential services. Australians tend to value their space to the point that most won't stand to live in high density inner city apartment living like in Europe and so you get the housing estates sprawling ever further into the rural areas. The country is far too urbanised, a few major cities and a handful of small rural cities and the rest are just small towns (2000-10000 people) and hamlets.

I would imagine the damage to the environment here from a large increase in population is pretty massive compared to the similar impact in Europe where there is a more reliable supply of water and housing is much higher density as a whole with less urban footprint sprawling into the countryside.
Absolutely none of which will put a stop to the growth of Melb or Syd. Taking Mexico City as an example... it is in a FAR worse position than Melb... but its still growing.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Water still remains a big issue.
There is no water shortage...only a shortage of infrastructure, as you pointed out. Build the infrastructure and the people can be supported.

I don't really understand your point about the Feb 2009 heatwave. It wasn't people in Melbourne suburbs who had a problem surviving it was people outside the city.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh my favourite subject re Australia.

The water infrastructure issue is the only thing holding this Country back from being a massive world player. I feel very strongly that it's the State Govenment system that has caused the lack of very necessary investment in a Eastern Seaboard Water Grid. The water is here, the Dams and supply chain aren't. it's that simple.

I also feel we wont get the infrastructure needed until Aus is literally creaking at the seams with people, which will also provide the necessary funds to pay for the massive and overdue investment that is needed.

As for the lesser Yellow whatever habitat being destroyed because of their land being used for the infrastructure..... He/She/It can go jump along with the rest of the Swampies as far as I'm concerned

It has to happen one day, why not start now.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahh my favourite subject re Australia.

The water infrastructure issue is the only thing holding this Country back from being a massive world player. I feel very strongly that it's the State Govenment system that has caused the lack of very necessary investment in a Eastern Seaboard Water Grid. The water is here, the Dams and supply chain aren't. it's that simple.

I also feel we wont get the infrastructure needed until Aus is literally creaking at the seams with people, which will also provide the necessary funds to pay for the massive and overdue investment that is needed.

As for the lesser Yellow whatever habitat being destroyed because of their land being used for the infrastructure..... He/She/It can go jump along with the rest of the Swampies as far as I'm concerned

It has to happen one day, why not start now.
Plenty of water up the top end. Darwin gets two thirds of London's annual rainfall in January alone !
Parts of Queensland gets even more than that.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Plenty of water up the top end. Darwin gets two thirds of London's annual rainfall in January alone !
Parts of Queensland gets even more than that.
Not just the tropics....Sydney & Brisbane get twice as much as London, Melbourne about the same (as London) on average...only Adelaide is (slightly) less I think. And a fraction of the number of people to support. It's pure & simple lack of infrastructure.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not just the tropics....Sydney & Brisbane get twice as much as London, Melbourne about the same (as London) on average...only Adelaide is (slightly) less I think. And a fraction of the number of people to support. It's pure & simple lack of infrastructure.
Brisbane has full dams AND the infrastructure now...well some of it anyway....desal, recycle plant and new water grid so Brisbane can steal water from gold coast and other dams when levels low....now we are paying for it in water rates even though we don't need it yet...oh well both ways have there advantages...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Some Australians have been saying for 30 years or more that we can support no more people but the people have continued to come....I would guess things will carry on just as they always have....infrastructure built when each crisis appears....

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 2:42 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by fish.01
Brisbane has full dams AND the infrastructure now...well some of it anyway....desal, recycle plant and new water grid so Brisbane can steal water from gold coast and other dams when levels low....now we are paying for it in water rates even though we don't need it yet...oh well both ways have there advantages...
All of that stuff HAD to be built though, there was no other choice at the time...anyone who moans about it now in retrospect is quite a numpty!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
All of that stuff HAD to be built though, there was no other choice at the time...anyone who moans about it now in retrospect is quite a numpty!
The drought made the right environment for the money to be spent. The point is most was not even turned on before the dams were full so we are paying now and the cities that didn't build it aren't. So you could argue the cities that didn't build it have the best result at the moment, lower rates, or that we will be better prepared for growth. Both true, though if it was me deciding I would have had it built.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 2:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.