Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

LucyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Last edited by LucyQ; Nov 12th 2010 at 4:59 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Originally Posted by LucyQ
Just moved back. It is a lovely place but I missed UK way too much and couldn't see myself living there forever. Plenty of my mates are there and happy as larry.

Weather just before summer and just going into winter is absolutely beautiful, free play for kids is lovely (beach, parks and places to ride bikes etc),

For me it was / is one of those places that for every positive there would be a negative just as with the UK. People move to benefit the children but it depends what you value as to whether it is actually better.

One thing I learnt from my whole experience is that you can not second guess your feelings. You just don't know how you will feel. We've just moved to an area which I thought I was going to hate and would want to work to move back to the South but right now I'm thinking I am really happy to be here and lucky. I really didn't think I would feel like that.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure someone in Australia will be along in the morning
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Yes. I'll sell you Australia for a million dollars and throw Perth in for free.

BB
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome

Have you been to Oz before? I guess you are thinking of emigrating asking that question? IMO you really need to judge for yourself what it's like and what your thoughts are of it rather than someone sell it to you as what other people like you may not and vice-versa.

We had thoughts of emigrating before we had even visited but saying that I know we wouldn't have made the decision to emigrate without having visited Oz. Happy to give you our views though - we went over for a reccie in March/April this year and loved it, hence the visa application. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Not unless you make a bit of effort to explain your circumstances and what you'd like to know.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No. If you need selling on something it's probably not the right thing for you.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Great 1st post - not.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I read the original post before it was edited. Obv edited for a reason.

But all I can say is no one can sell it to you. If it doesn't feel right to you then don't do it.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Hi I have been here for 8 weeks now when I first arrived was pretty amaze by the weather the friendliness the gala parrots , the great v8 cars I have been to oz before not Perth why we chose perth I do not know , everyone kept selling it to us , we are from Bournemouth Dorset is busy place with a beautiful beach however wanted a new start and weather , and hopefully better life style,

when we came ON HOLIDAY 4 years ago we went to Queensland , Adelaide , Cairns , and Sydney , I would say sydney is busier nice expensive for property near the city ,

Brisbane is a lovely set out city great lagoon in the middle great shops, beaches are north or south i felt north was dated apart from noosa which is $$$ , south tacky(sufers typical of a benidorm beach with skyscrapers , byron great .

then my view of Adelaide very much like England in the city , great beaches , Pretty much dead , not great job prospects , booooooooooooooorrrrrrrring ,

Cairns We loved the great tropical feel lagoon , so much for kids along the front , kurunda typical hippy markets new age stuff quirky .......I liked the old railway that goes around the mountain , and barron water falls stunning, the drive to port douglas is stunning .........................then we come on to perth , we took a gamble and moved somewhere we have never been ,some may say brave some may say daft.........well so far I can honestly say to live here near civilisation up near the city or fremantle which is a great place small but great , costs alot of wonga , near the city you have the quirky old style houses with jarra floors , build to english standards in the 30's yeh these are near shops , life and cafes and restaurants pubs in mt lawley mt hawthorn subiaco ...................talking mega money some little houses up in the 1/2 MILLION mark , some are 700,000 dollars if your lucky , rentals typical 4 bed 650 a week plus......................we want to move nearer the city as currently we live in bogansville , and slate me if you want , rockingham may be 36 minutes drive from the city but it is the most boring place ever ....south if your not sure where , schools here are full of feral kids , and by the way if you have kids , if you move to any suburb not around the city send your kids to private catholic or lutheran schools they average about £50 a week schools are amazing compared to state run schools,my eldest boy despite him having a tattoo at 16 and a tounge piercing a typical tall justin bieber lookalike , he could not stand one day at the state high school here in rockingham..... unless your in a suburb like applecross rossmoyne willeton subiaco (perth modern ) all these have good reputations , suburbs closer to the city are more $$ ........but in life you get what you pay for ,

Rockingham is for old people who want to sit by their pool read a book feed ducks in the many surrounding lakes..also it is full of bogans well i will define the ozzy slang for you , full of feral kids, funny looking people I personally think they are imbreds with 6 toes so many bogans live for quantity not quality

I have a neighbour who stuck his head over the fence , saying my pool is better than your pooL And my cinema room makes your looks silly I was trying not to laugh , as I am renting my hovel for $500 a week a thrown up house yes with pool etc , but what shit TUST ME ...and for some messy haired imbred thinks he has it all , they are the type of people to when they have money keep their holden and do it up get a nice new exhaust on it instead of upgrading to a bmw lets say bogans like to live in their confort zones and like buying shit ....Rockingham well I live here as i secured a rental at the time had no idea on areas so i am trying to just give you my feelings on the experience so far .......hopefuly i will get out of my lease as so many problems with house .

...perth is not really for someone from the uk who likes shopping pubs , and a fun life UNLESS YOU LIVE NEAR FREO OR THE CITY ...........I also like to chill dont get me wrong but here where I am its hang your self or poke your eyes out boredom

I remember reading british expats before I moved seeing posts like perth is boring , I thought yeh yeh bullshit , I bet there is lots over there I read replies perth is not boring it is only boring if you are a boring person , ok i will agree perth is boring if you are in suburbia otherwise it is pretty great but pricey I did think when reading b ex pats before .moving on to other areas of perth

secret habour is stunning beautiful houses , but again miles form civilisation , stepford wives ..........mandurah beautiful foreshore pelicans great dome restaurant ................ok to visit !!! .has to be boring to live
north of the city is nice cottesloe beach is a busy beautiful beach not far from fremantle .ocean reef is ok .......well further north you go it gets to be very british rougher , we stayed in connolly for the first three weeks and i would say joondalup is as british as rockingham .especially in areas of butler , always the english who start a fightin the pubs up there !! ..all areas are suburbs like little housing estates which i detest , i used to live on a council estate a while ago , and it reminds me of a community estate , the houses nearer the city some are on stream tree lined roads just beautiful ,apple cross is just beautiful ............

All these built up new housing estates are rubbish still expensive houses thrown up not built to last , and so much building still going on , this place has the weather .....it is spread out over a large area ........beaches are stunning especially rottnest island it has to be one of the best beaches I have ever been to the sea is turquoise and see through...and I would say it is better than whitehaven beach on the whitsundays queensland..................personally all i can see australia has to offer is better weather ....food is about the same if you shop around , coles and woolworths are like tesco and asda, super iga is like sainsburys prices ..........over all about the same for food and eating out as was back in the uk ...houses to buy are more expensive for what they are may have garage pool etc but slung together .............rent is not cheap if anything i find it expensive .........depends on suburb tho .........when i get out of port kennedy rockingham i may have more of a positive view on perth but for now ...........so so ..............hubby earns alot more here so thats good .................any questions just ask as i am sat here bored on my bed looking out the window at ducks !! ....wishing I was somewhere I can go and sit like a pub garden and have a good old laugh .........

Last edited by bruce n sheila; Nov 13th 2010 at 8:56 am.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
Hi I have been here for 8 weeks now when I first arrived was pretty amaze by the weather the friendliness the gala parrots , the great v8 cars I have been to oz before not Perth why we chose perth I do not know , everyone kept selling it to us , we are from Bournemouth Dorset is busy place with a beautiful beach however wanted a new start and weather , and hopefully better life style,

when we came ON HOLIDAY 4 years ago we went to Queensland , Adelaide , Cairns , and Sydney , I would say sydney is busier nice expensive for property near the city ,

Brisbane is a lovely set out city great lagoon in the middle great shops, beaches are north or south i felt north was dated apart from noosa which is $$$ , south tacky(sufers typical of a benidorm beach with skyscrapers , byron great .

then my view of Adelaide very much like England in the city , great beaches , Pretty much dead , not great job prospects , booooooooooooooorrrrrrrring ,

Cairns We loved the great tropical feel lagoon , so much for kids along the front , kurunda typical hippy markets new age stuff quirky .......I liked the old railway that goes around the mountain , and barron water falls stunning, the drive to port douglas is stunning .........................then we come on to perth , we took a gamble and moved somewhere we have never been ,some may say brave some may say daft.........well so far I can honestly say to live here near civilisation up near the city or fremantle which is a great place small but great , costs alot of wonga , near the city you have the quirky old style houses with jarra floors , build to english standards in the 30's yeh these are near shops , life and cafes and restaurants pubs in mt lawley mt hawthorn subiaco ...................talking mega money some little houses up in the 1/2 MILLION mark , some are 700,000 dollars if your lucky , rentals typical 4 bed 650 a week plus......................we want to move nearer the city as currently we live in bogansville , and slate me if you want , rockingham may be 36 minutes drive from the city but it is the most boring place ever ....south if your not sure where , schools here are full of feral kids , and by the way if you have kids , if you move to any suburb not around the city send your kids to private catholic or lutheran schools they average about £50 a week schools are amazing compared to state run schools,my eldest boy despite him having a tattoo at 16 and a tounge piercing a typical tall justin bieber lookalike , he could not stand one day at the state high school here in rockingham..... unless your in a suburb like applecross rossmoyne willeton subiaco (perth modern ) all these have good reputations , suburbs closer to the city are more $$ ........but in life you get what you pay for ,

Rockingham is for old people who want to sit by their pool read a book feed ducks in the many surrounding lakes..also it is full of bogans well i will define the ozzy slang for you , full of feral kids, funny looking people I personally think they are imbreds with 6 toes so many bogans live for quantity not quality

I have a neighbour who stuck his head over the fence , saying my pool is better than your pooL And my cinema room makes your looks silly I was trying not to laugh , as I am renting my hovel for $500 a week a thrown up house yes with pool etc , but what shit TUST ME ...and for some messy haired imbred thinks he has it all , they are the type of people to when they have money keep their holden and do it up get a nice new exhaust on it instead of upgrading to a bmw lets say bogans like to live in their confort zones and like buying shit ....Rockingham well I live here as i secured a rental at the time had no idea on areas so i am trying to just give you my feelings on the experience so far .......hopefuly i will get out of my lease as so many problems with house .

...perth is not really for someone from the uk who likes shopping pubs , and a fun life UNLESS YOU LIVE NEAR FREO OR THE CITY ...........I also like to chill dont get me wrong but here where I am its hang your self or poke your eyes out boredom

I remember reading british expats before I moved seeing posts like perth is boring , I thought yeh yeh bullshit , I bet there is lots over there I read replies perth is not boring it is only boring if you are a boring person , ok i will agree perth is boring if you are in suburbia otherwise it is pretty great but pricey I did think when reading b ex pats before .moving on to other areas of perth

secret habour is stunning beautiful houses , but again miles form civilisation , stepford wives ..........mandurah beautiful foreshore pelicans great dome restaurant ................ok to visit !!! .has to be boring to live
north of the city is nice cottesloe beach is a busy beautiful beach not far from fremantle .ocean reef is ok .......well further north you go it gets to be very british rougher , we stayed in connolly for the first three weeks and i would say joondalup is as british as rockingham .especially in areas of butler , always the english who start a fightin the pubs up there !! ..all areas are suburbs like little housing estates which i detest , i used to live on a council estate a while ago , and it reminds me of a community estate , the houses nearer the city some are on stream tree lined roads just beautiful ,apple cross is just beautiful ............

All these built up new housing estates are rubbish still expensive houses thrown up not built to last , and so much building still going on , this place has the weather .....it is spread out over a large area ........beaches are stunning especially rottnest island it has to be one of the best beaches I have ever been to the sea is turquoise and see through...and I would say it is better than whitehaven beach on the whitsundays queensland..................personally all i can see australia has to offer is better weather ....food is about the same if you shop around , coles and woolworths are like tesco and asda, super iga is like sainsburys prices ..........over all about the same for food and eating out as was back in the uk ...houses to buy are more expensive for what they are may have garage pool etc but slung together .............rent is not cheap if anything i find it expensive .........depends on suburb tho .........when i get out of port kennedy rockingham i may have more of a positive view on perth but for now ...........so so ..............hubby earns alot more here so thats good .................any questions just ask as i am sat here bored on my bed looking out the window at ducks !! ....wishing I was somewhere I can go and sit like a pub garden and have a good old laugh .........
I don't mean to be funny but you seem very opinionated on the whole of Perth bearing in mind you've only been here 8 week. We live in a 'rough British' area north of Perth. Can't say we've noticed any fights or trouble with the British here. We back on to a pub & hubby & his mate drink there & as far as I'm aware they've not started any fights yet or even been dragged in to any. Yes there are a lot of British here but all that I've met so far are very pleasant & friendly & like you & I are also here for a new life & lifestyle. As for the schools our daughter goes to the local state school & she loves it. The teachers are great, the amount of activities & outings, awards for work, etc they do is brilliant. I personally (& this is just my opinion) wouldn't consider sending her to a private school. Our rent is cheaper here than it was in the UK & we have a bigger house & garden now. We're only a mile from the beach & certainly could never have afforded to rent something this size near the coast in the UK. As for the beach Quinns (our local beach) is lovely with miles of soft fluffy sand & never gets busy. Further down is Burns with the cycle track/footpath which runs all the way down the coast, again lovely with little rocky coves along the way. The supermarkets take a while to get use to & you only learn what an area has to offer by shopping around. I like Joondalup for shopping & Whitfords. I love a Sunday afternoon at Mindarie Marina having a coffee whilst hubby has a few beers, I haven't moved over here expecting to find a cosy British style pub.

We've only been here 10 weeks ourselves. May be we didn't have high expectations. May be we had just had enough in the UK & needed a change. But so far we love it. And of course this is just my view on things.

Alison x
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

To make it easier and more pleasant for people to read your posts may I suggest you use paragraphs and full stops.That will be a start.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

8 weeks is plenty to of seen alot of perth I have seen more than some that move here , I have driven from north to south when some friends have never heard of certain suburbs .My opinion is my opinion yours is yours......I was obviously fortunate to come from the south of the uk , I do not like british pubs so to speak , I just like somewhere to socialise....suburbia is boring , glad your enjoying your time here and where you live , I am very happy for you, again we are all different , yes I have my views and it is what I previously said !! ............paragraphs and full stops what am I in an english class now .

Last edited by bruce n sheila; Nov 13th 2010 at 11:02 am.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
As for the beach Quinns (our local beach) is lovely with miles of soft fluffy sand & never gets busy.
Alison x
Quinns Beach is indeed lovely. Had a great Christmas Day there last year.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Perth is boring for some expats in my opinion because they live in the new suburbs from Joondalup and further north to Rockingham and further south which are bland and boring, straight out the box identical housing and shopping malls with no character. If people researched a bit more and rented in some more established areas they'd blend in with more locals for a start and discover there's a lot more to offer, lots of cool shops and cafes, bars etc if you venture into areas like Subiaco, Leederville, Mt Lawley, South Perth, Scarborough, Fremantle etc. These areas are expensive to live in mind you, but there are quite affordable suburbs on the outskirts of them

This was copied and pasted from someone elses view .......................I guess they are just as opinionated as me however I think they are right .
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:15 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said if it needs to be sold perhaps it isn`t for you. I think you either love Perth or you hate it - personally we are very happy - good social life, very good friends, enjoying the outdoor life (fishing, kayaking, cycling, walking the dogs along the beautiful beaches). We live in Port Kennedy very happily, a car ride away from Freo & the cafe life if we want it - a couple of hours from Margaret River, some nice wineries on the doorstep. After 10 years living in the South of England I know where I`d rather be. Lifes great - maybe it`s the feral bogan in me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.