Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone come round sort everything out for us and we just turn up in Oz??

Can someone come round sort everything out for us and we just turn up in Oz??

Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:38 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can someone come round sort everything out for us and we just turn up in Oz??

Just thought I would ask if anyone can come and sort out EVERYTHING for us and all we need to do is turn up at the airport, get on the plane, get off the other end and basically just start our new life in Oz??

When I say everything I mean all of this................

Dig out all your personal paperwork, including birth, adoption and marriage certificates, employment refeences, driving licences and qualifications.

Update your CV to make it suitable for the Oz/Kiwi market place.

Start job hunting.

Put your house on the market.

Get your finances in order, consolidate bank accounts and reduce debts.

Consider talking to your employer about your migration plans.

Talk to your childrens schools about your plans and ask them to prepare hand-over files.

Get quotes from removals companies and flights and get them booked.

Sell any unwanted items of furniture and clear out cupboards.

Clean and paint any garden tools and furniture you plan to take.

Give formal notice to your employer and ensure you get your P45.

Ask your doctor, dentist,optician for your hand-over files.

Open an Oz/Kiwi bank account.

Set up a trading account with a currency broker.

Request credit references from your bank,building society or any other lending agent.

Identify temporary accommodation in case your house sells sooner than expected and you have to move out

Track down temporary accommodation in Oz/NZ.

Register children in new schools.

Start having Goodbye parties now as time runs away at the end.

Organise all birthday cards and presents for the next 3 months.

Request up to date statements on any endowments, pensions and investments.

Give your change of address to your bank, passport office, DVLA, pension company, inland revenue, insurance brokers and accountants.

Bring council tax and utilities up to date and cancel accounts for TV, internet, phone and insurance.

Go to a car book sale to sell any items you don't want to take with you, or donate them to a charity shop.

Arrange all your post to be redirected to a friend or relative.

Transfer funds to Oz/NZ.

Start packing non essential items.

Collect all hand-over files from doctor, dentist, optician, schools etc.

Arrange some private health cover for Oz/NZ if required.

Pay off any outstanding debts.

Close any surplus bank accounts and destroy unwanted cards.

Shred any personal records you are not taking and dispose of.

Confirm the removalists are booked.

Ensure all your relevant paperwork is in a handy travel file.

Cancel any redundant direct debits or standing orders.

Ask for a copy of your No Claims Bonus from your insurance company.

Cancel any newspapers, milk or satellite TV subscriptions.

Sell your car, bike, van or any other transport you wont be needing.

Cancel car insurance.

Buy some currency for each destination on route to Oz/NZ.

Throw more Goodbye parties!

Ensure that yur gods are either about to leave the UK or are on their way Down Under.

Organise any presents and cards your children may want to send to their friends prior to leaving.

Make sure transport to the airport is organised and will arrive in plenty of time for the flight.

Establish who will be coming to the airport to say goodbye.

Pack activity sets and small gifts to amuse young children on the flight.

Pick up a copy of "On Arrival" magazine at the airport; it contains lots of ideas, information and helpful websites.

Contact people back home to let them know you have arrival safely.

Set up a Pay-as-you-Go mobile phone to start your off - you can buy a cheap SIM card and use it in your UK phone.

Find your nearest internet cafe for property and area research.

Take a few days to get over the journey and explore the area.

Get a tax file number (TFN) for Oz or an IRD number for New Zealand.

Explore the area or suburb you think you would like to live in and ask the locals as many questions as possible.

Meet with rental agents and start reviewing some accommodation property options.

Find a solicitor to help with rental or purchase contracts.

Consider buying a car sooner rather than later. Used cars are cheap if you don't yet qualify for credit.

Get car insurance.

Register at a local school and arrange to meet your children's new teachers.

Get a landline installed and set up internet access.

Review your financial position and transfer more funds if required.

Set up standing orders for utilities.

Register for your local doctor and dentist, and for Medicare (Oz).

Meet with mortgage brokers to understand your borrowing capacity.

Visit your children's schools to ensure that they have settled in ok.

Identify a reliable plumber, electrician and mechanic in your area.

Consider re-writing your will.

Discuss your first month with your employer and resolve any problems that may have cropped up.

Start to attend social functions or join a sports club.

Establish a routine and settle into your new life!

(List thanks to oliverandlisa, without this list I really would be suicidal!!!!)

We dont expect anyone to do this for free we are willing to pay 2p an hour!!

No we are NOT lazy just feeling a little daunted by what we need to do!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:40 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone come round sort everything out for us and we just turn up in Oz??

Forgot to say feel free to add to the list just incase I have forgotten anything!! :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:45 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can someone come round sort everything out for us and we just turn up in Oz??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Forgot to say feel free to add to the list just incase I have forgotten anything!! :scared: :scared:
You don't exactly seem to have been flooded with offers.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Tempting but NO!!
Toooooo Stressed doing it myself, this time I'll be boarding the plane Toon!
Good luck making the arrangements!

Ali x
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:27 am
I'm came with Creature

Dizzykaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hun, I did all that in April, see my thread further down the page.

It only gets slightly better but I'm sure ONE day I will be happy but don't quote me on that one.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:31 am
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
You don't exactly seem to have been flooded with offers.

LOL well there was me thinking everyone on BE were friendly helpful people!! Guess I was wrong!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

LOL well there was me thinking everyone on BE were friendly helpful people!! Guess I was wrong!!
maybe you should up the pay
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:26 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by DebraH
maybe you should up the pay

OK we are happy to go up to 5p an hour!! Hows that??
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what you want is a relocation company, which do exist.

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to sort all that for you. I charge $250 per hour, not including expenses.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

No we are NOT lazy just feeling a little daunted by what we need to do!![/QUOTE]

Hi,

You are not being lazy, that is why you have relocation companies to sort that lot out for you and take the stress away from you to enjoy you start Down Under.

Tony
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I see you're offering a smaller salary.

I have drawn up an estimate and I think that overall, it's going to takem me about 12,500 hours to complete that list of work.

I take cheques.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:21 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by iPom
Oh, I see you're offering a smaller salary.

I have drawn up an estimate and I think that overall, it's going to takem me about 12,500 hours to complete that list of work.

I take cheques.

Do you take rubber cheques!!??

Infact having worked that out you are offering a good deal!! £625 quid I make it so thanks for helping when will you start work??
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:22 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
No we are NOT lazy just feeling a little daunted by what we need to do!!

Hi,

You are not being lazy, that is why you have relocation companies to sort that lot out for you and take the stress away from you to enjoy you start Down Under.

Tony[/QUOTE]

How I would love to be able to justify and afford a relocation agent life would be so simple then!!

Maybe the premium bonds will come in this month and then I can re-consider!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:25 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are coming to the Gold Coast.... YES! WE CAN!!

Claire
Just thought I would ask if anyone can come and sort out EVERYTHING for us and all we need to do is turn up at the airport, get on the plane, get off the other end and basically just start our new life in Oz??
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a notebook and write it all down in there. Tick of the things as you complete them. Write down a/c & telephone numbers for gas etc. It makes it so much easier so you don't have to dig through files etc time looking for a number.

Then at the back of the book start a list of all the things you need to to in Oz.

Finally - good luck. You will get through it. It does look like a mountain now but try view it as manageable little hills. Give yourself a goal to achieve each day. You'll feel happy as you tick them off the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.