Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a permanent resident get finance?

Can a permanent resident get finance?

Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

gingerlion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a permanent resident get finance?

Firstly , great forum!

Secondly my question:
Ive got a PR visa and intend to move to Melbourne from London in the coming months (not that ive ever been to aus but i thought what the hell)..

Im wondering if a PR can get finance from banks in the form of a mortgage for a house. I take it I will have no credit score in OZ so they will not lend to me until Ive lived there for a while? Maybe not until im a citizen? Is this the case?

Also I have 150,000 aussie dollars. Is this enough for me and my girlfriend to start up a cafe/bar/restaurant type establishment? We would consider moving to WA if this is not enough capital to start a busines in Melbourne.

any help greatly appretiated
GL
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can a permanent resident get finance?

Originally Posted by gingerlion
Firstly , great forum!

Secondly my question:
Ive got a PR visa and intend to move to Melbourne from London in the coming months (not that ive ever been to aus but i thought what the hell)..

Im wondering if a PR can get finance from banks in the form of a mortgage for a house. I take it I will have no credit score in OZ so they will not lend to me until Ive lived there for a while? Maybe not until im a citizen? Is this the case?

Also I have 150,000 aussie dollars. Is this enough for me and my girlfriend to start up a cafe/bar/restaurant type establishment? We would consider moving to WA if this is not enough capital to start a busines in Melbourne.

GL
Basically Yes you can get finance, however you might struggle if you are self employed and you can not produce 2 years accounts. There are some loans/lenders that if you can provide 35% deposit they do not ask for proof of income. It is also possible to get finance to help set up a business but it would depend on your individual situation.

Andy
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

gingerlion is an unknown quantity at this point

But in the UK I wouldnt be able to borrow without a credit history/credit score whether or not I had a large enough income. Would I encounter this problem if I had only been a PR for a short time?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

But in the UK I wouldnt be able to borrow without a credit history/credit score whether or not I had a large enough income. Would I encounter this problem if I had only been a PR for a short time?

No, everyone who emigrates will have no credit history on arrival. The system is set up with this in mind and as long as you meet the required criteria you can get credit/finance.

Andy
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly , great forum!

Secondly my question:

GL
Yes, as a PR you can get financing, however, most institutions will require you to have been in Aus for a while before they could offer you financing. Home financing is a lot easier to get than financing for a business.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.realestate.com.au they have a businesses for sale bit in there.

Finance was no problem once we got work. We also got a credit card asap too to start building a credit rating.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Quite a few people on here have been able to get mortgages here within a few weeks of arriving.

If anyone wants to check on their own credit history rating, look here:
http://www.mycreditfile.com.au/

and go right to the bottom of the page to see the details of the FREE service