Reload this Page >

can my dad get a visa to stay

Wikiposts

can my dad get a visa to stay

Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough
Default can my dad get a visa to stay

please can anyone help us, we have been living in brisbane on pr visas for 2 months, have found work and have an house sale going through, what i need to find out is can my dad get a visa to stay, he is currently here with us on a 3 month visa, he would go home and give his notice in then like to come back and work, he has no other relatives but us, i know a bit about the last remaining relative visa but not sure how this works, also is there any kind of visa which could let him stay and work until something of a more permanent visa comes through as this like all of them will take time, thanks for any ideas on this matter, by the way he is 53 yrs young
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: can my dad get a visa to stay

Originally Posted by andyaldy
please can anyone help us, we have been living in brisbane on pr visas for 2 months, have found work and have an house sale going through, what i need to find out is can my dad get a visa to stay, he is currently here with us on a 3 month visa, he would go home and give his notice in then like to come back and work, he has no other relatives but us, i know a bit about the last remaining relative visa but not sure how this works, also is there any kind of visa which could let him stay and work until something of a more permanent visa comes through as this like all of them will take time, thanks for any ideas on this matter, by the way he is 53 yrs young

I think for the last remaining relative visa you have to have been residents for two years and then you can sponser him. Hopefully there is a visa he can get in the meantime.

Goodluck
Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If he has no other children then the Contributory parent visa would be possible when you have been there 2 years.

Unless he can get someone to sponsor him for employment then it will be very difficult for him to stay.

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:03 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

If it were only that simple! However having said that hubby heard of a guy who's Mum came out on a 3 month visa, kept renewing it and then she finally got her visa, had to go to Kiwi Land for the day to be out of the country! We have been told by our agent that as we are here on a PR Employer Nominated Sponsor, after being here for a year we can start the process, being settled, owning a house etc etc!! Failing that we will stick her in a banana boat, cast her adrift, get the coastguard to pick her up, she will state she wants political asylum and hey presto Mum, get the kettle on, yer in!!! Good luck anyway, keep us informed, many people in the same boat (not the banana boat!) Things are changing all the time!!
ViVi
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vivi
If it were only that simple! However having said that hubby heard of a guy who's Mum came out on a 3 month visa, kept renewing it and then she finally got her visa, had to go to Kiwi Land for the day to be out of the country! We have been told by our agent that as we are here on a PR Employer Nominated Sponsor, after being here for a year we can start the process, being settled, owning a house etc etc!! Failing that we will stick her in a banana boat, cast her adrift, get the coastguard to pick her up, she will state she wants political asylum and hey presto Mum, get the kettle on, yer in!!! Good luck anyway, keep us informed, many people in the same boat (not the banana boat!) Things are changing all the time!!
ViVi

I think that you can stay for 3 months then leave for 1 day then stay for another 3 months, you can do this indefinitely providing that you are not breaking the terms of your visa, you must not work. You will definitely be interrogated by immigration each time you enter but if you have a good reason and can prove that you are not going to steal money to survive then it should not be a problem. If you stay even 1 day more than you are allowed then its likely that you would be banished from Australia for ever. I would check with immigration and let them know what you are doing. Seeking asylum is also good they will give you a free house and lots of money to pay your bills.

Last edited by CreditCardKing; Jun 14th 2005 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:01 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

One Visa that I learned about over the weekend was the Senior Exec Visa which is open up to the age of 55. Of course it does have restriciotns so may not be suitable for your Dad but I thought I would mention it just in case. This is the link to the DIMIA page. http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/bus...ec.htm#summary

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CreditCardKing
I think that you can stay for 3 months then leave for 1 day then stay for another 3 months, you can do this indefinitely providing that you are not breaking the terms of your visa, you must not work. You will definitely be interrogated by immigration each time you enter but if you have a good reason and can prove that you are not going to steal money to survive then it should not be a problem. If you stay even 1 day more than you are allowed then its likely that you would be banished from Australia for ever. I would check with immigration and let them know what you are doing.
Trying this out carries a high risk of refusal of entry to Australia on arrival.

DIMIA do not like people trying to establish de-facto residency in Australia (even if they don't work) on tourist status.

Seeking asylum is also good they will give you a free house and lots of money to pay your bills.

People making false protection visa applicants are usually ineligible for *any* future Australian visa.

Jeremy
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I think for the last remaining relative visa you have to have been residents for two years and then you can sponser him. Hopefully there is a visa he can get in the meantime.
Parents cannot be sponsored as remaining relatives by children.

The Contributory Parent visa route is the standard one for parents, once the balance of family test and other requirements are met.

Eligibility for other temporary or permanent visas (eg business, investor, retirement, aged dependent relative etc) is dependent on circumstances and professional advice is required.

If one of these is not possible then he will have to stick to visiting Australia and going back to the UK for now.

Jeremy