Can i vote?

Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:19 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Can i vote?

I suspect not....how do i check for sure.

I am here currently on a prospective spouse visa.

I would rather not to let bullyboy, aka latham, in power.... I shudder to think what will happen.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can i vote?

More or less certain you have to be a citizen. For the local elections, I called the council and they confirmed that. Actually, if you are a citizen it's compulsory to vote, apparently.

Presume you'll get the same info in SA
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:34 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY

I would rather not to let bullyboy, aka latham, in power.... I shudder to think what will happen.

Pete, I am a temp and don't get a vote either, but I would go for Latham over Howard so you can be my (non) voting buddy and we can cancel each other out. That way we can at least morally vote, if not actually vote.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:38 am
ABCDiamond

You are right, you do need to be a Citizen to vote, (and it is then complusory).

But also certain British subjects who arrived in Australia over a 35 year period, dating from 1949 to 1984, are entitled (if they wish) to vote in all Australian elections.

The bottom line for people coming in now is; You can vote when you become Australian

Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by chocaholic
More or less certain you have to be a citizen. For the local elections, I called the council and they confirmed that. Actually, if you are a citizen it's compulsory to vote, apparently.

Presume you'll get the same info in SA

Yep, same in QLD. My boyfriend got a letter the last week for not voting in the elections in Feb (he was in the UK with me). Think it was a $30 fine straight up, or you could contest it but then get struck with a $75 fine if they're not happy with your reason.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You can have my compulsory vote if you want, just go to the polling station with a wig and a skirt on . If there were a wombat standing for election, I'd vote that in over Latham, or little Howard.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:48 am
ABCDiamond

To answer this question:

http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/what/...nt/general.htm

Eligibility

Enrolling and voting in Commonwealth elections and referendums is compulsory if you are:
* 18 years of age or over
* an Australian citizen (or a British subject who was on a Commonwealth of Australia electoral roll on 25 January 1984), and
* you have lived at your current address for at least the last month

Old Sep 1st 2004, 6:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a citizen, and so it's compulsory.
So why the heck do I have to enroll to vote!!!!??? :scared:
I even have to get some other citizen to witness my signature, grrr!

Oh, and btw: Am I a Mrs, Ms or Miss??
I'm married, but I'm going to keep using my maiden name.
I don't know who the Ms is for. Me maybe??

Mmm, and after all that, I don't have a clue to vote for. I'd go for labour, but that latham guy is a bit wierd. Howard is definetly not better though.

:scared:
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:00 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
Pete, I am a temp and don't get a vote either, but I would go for Latham over Howard so you can be my (non) voting buddy and we can cancel each other out. That way we can at least morally vote, if not actually vote.
Biggest grin i've produced all day (its been pretty stressful). Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
I'm a citizen, and so it's compulsory.
So why the heck do I have to enroll to vote!!!!??? :scared:
I even have to get some other citizen to witness my signature, grrr!

Mmm, and after all that, I don't have a clue to vote for. I'd go for labour, but that latham guy is a bit wierd. Howard is definetly not better though.

Go to your local council office ( or phone them), all communities should have them, some of them tend to have outposts in libraries and ask them (or just ask in you local library, and they will point you in the right direction, and where you can enrol)

Usually you have flyers in your mail box for enrolment months before, sometimes you have "council" doorknockers coming around too. Had a few of these over the years when they came to your door - but I wasn't a citizen then.

When I got my citizenship they actually handed you an enrolment form over with your certificate of citizenship at the ceremony ,which you could fill out there. I didn't - so they sent me two letters telling me to enrol.. they find you each and every way.

Haven't decided if I'm going to actually vote yet, may just vote for One Nation - that will B8gger them up ( make me vote aye!) .. or I may just pay the fine for not going. My hubby has already decided he is not going, and will just pay the fine.

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 1st 2004 at 7:22 am.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Go to your local council office ( or phone them), all communities should have them, some of them tend to be libraries and ask them.

Usually you have flyers in your mail box for enrolment months before.
When I got citizenship they actually handed you an enrolment form over with your certificate of citizenship ,which you could fill out there. I didn't - so they sent me two letters telling me to enrol.. they find you each and every way.

Haven't decided if I'm going to actually vote yet, may just vote for one nation - that will B8gger them up ( make me vote aye!) .. or I may just pay the fine for not going. My hubby has already decided he is not going, and will just pay the fine.
Yeah, I have that flyer, a month ago. Just lazy, can't be bothered. In Holland you could just vote automatically.
Well, I better fill it in then.

I'm going to have to do some research into who's the best of the 2(or3 or 4 ?) evils
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Haven't decided if I'm going to actually vote yet, may just vote for One Nation - that will B8gger them up ( make me vote aye!) .. or I may just pay the fine for not going. My hubby has already decided he is not going, and will just pay the fine.
Why pay the fine when you can simply go along, get your name crossed off & write whatever you want on the card? If you dont actually care enough to pick a person/party then dont, you can always cast a donkey vote or spoil the ballot paper, but at least that way you wont get a fine.

Im waiting for my letter from last election to show reason why I didnt vote - this time I dont have a reason! Just clean forgot :scared: Last time I was asked to show cause I was in the UK - election was called while I was over there (2000). This election I will be in the UK again - but at least I can do a postal vote or prepoll since i know its coming up.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by Simone
, grrr!

Use the Ms .. it means mind your business you nosey g*ts ( doesn't literally really mean that .., but close enough. I'm just joking) . I always use Ms on any forms. I'm not married though ... shudder at the thought :scared: ( long time de-facto relationship) . Even if I were married to my partner I would still use the Ms with my maiden name.
Miss is for unmarried women who want to tell people they are unmarried. I'm am neither - I don't see why I should have Miss or Mrs, when men are always MR.
Ms is for all women , married or unmarried - Ms explained for you a bit:
http://www.hansard.act.gov.au/hansar...eek07/1948.htm

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 1st 2004 at 7:59 am.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Why pay the fine when you can simply go along, get your name crossed off & write whatever you want on the card? If you dont actually care enough to pick a person/party then dont, you can always cast a donkey vote or spoil the ballot paper, but at least that way you wont get a fine.
Another option is if the ballot papers printer (printed by Joe Bloggs Printers or whatever) is on the bottom in small print, write I want HIM for PM
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Im waiting for my letter from last election to show reason why I didnt vote - this time I dont have a reason! Just clean forgot :scared: Last time I was asked to show cause I was in the UK - election was called while I was over there (2000). This election I will be in the UK again - but at least I can do a postal vote or prepoll since i know its coming up.
I don't like to be told I must go along to the polling stations either lol

I haven't actually decided what I will be doing, if I do go along I will be voting for "The fat arse wombat" . My hubby is the one who is definitely not going to set foot near a polling station.. me I haven't decided yet
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.