Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I take UK Mobile number wif me to Oz?

Can I take UK Mobile number wif me to Oz?

Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:34 pm
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of
Default Can I take UK Mobile number wif me to Oz?

I have a really cool and easy to remember mobile phone number. Has any one ever been able to keep the same number when moved to Oz? I am wif Virgin at the moment, and willl contact them to check...but just wondered if any one had done this already and have any tips etc.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:42 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can I take UK Mobile number wif me to Oz?

Originally Posted by luchi
I have a really cool and easy to remember mobile phone number. Has any one ever been able to keep the same number when moved to Oz? I am wif Virgin at the moment, and willl contact them to check...but just wondered if any one had done this already and have any tips etc.
I don't think this is possible! The mobile number in oz is completely different to here. Here mobiles start with 07 and in oz they start with 04. Also, in oz they are 10 digits long whereas here they are 11.

But I'm not a pro in this field, nor do I have expeience when it comes to this.

Why don't you ebay it?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:14 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

simple answer = nope, not possible

complicated answer = there is no supported technical solution for number portability that go intra country (actually there is, but you would probably end up paying an international call each time to make it work)
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll just have to learn a new one
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

why dont u flog it on one of those auction sites ?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:33 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

maybe in roaming!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

As much chance as keeping your same UK postal address in Oz!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:18 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

You can keep the number if Virgin allow international roaming, but it would still be a "UK" number. You would have to pay lots of $ on roaming fees, everyone who called you from Australia would pay international phone costs to the UK, etc. Not worth it!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:07 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Can I take UK Mobile number wif me to Oz?

Originally Posted by saraliz
You can keep the number if Virgin allow international roaming, but it would still be a "UK" number. You would have to pay lots of $ on roaming fees, everyone who called you from Australia would pay international phone costs to the UK, etc. Not worth it!
Thanx 4 the replies....I'll let you know when I get an answer from Virgin if I can tranfer it, but from the replies I got, probs can't...but u never know....it such an easy number, but if I can't take it then I'll flog it...should be worth a few hundred quid...It's a small sacrifice to pay for moving to Oz.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:47 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

It's a small sacrifice to pay for moving to Oz.
Well I definitely wouldn't stay here just for a mobile number....
Old Feb 12th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

SHort answer - No.

And don't believe the UK company when they tell you can. BT did this to me and when I got here I found I couldn't. I then had loads of hassle delaing with them and getting them to cancel the UK number - cos hey, I was no longer a bona fide person who lived in the UK, so they couldn't take my word for it that the number had to be cancelled - cheeky buggers!!!! (sorted now, but not worth the hassle to be honest).

Also, aussie numbers are totally different to UK and none of the aussie netwrok providers will be able to suport your UK number (for all sorts of techie reasons I don't understand - but I think cos they can't be bothered is the one I'm going with)

Oooohhh bitter about the mobile thing, moi?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

How sad is this thread
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:11 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx 4 the replies....I'll let you know when I get an answer from Virgin if I can tranfer it, but from the replies I got, probs can't...but u never know....it such an easy number, but if I can't take it then I'll flog it...should be worth a few hundred quid...It's a small sacrifice to pay for moving to Oz.
Who the f*** is daft enough to pay $$$$$ for an 'easy to remember' mobile number. Anyone who does should be bitch slapped. It's only a bloody number - remember a new one - it's really not that hard!!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:56 am
Ocean Reef

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Who the f*** is daft enough to pay $$$$$ for an 'easy to remember' mobile number. Anyone who does should be bitch slapped. It's only a bloody number - remember a new one - it's really not that hard!!

Easy tiger....different things matter to different people. Some people pay £60,000.00 for personalised numbers and some people pay loadsa money for easy phone numbers, business as well as private. Some people just don't care! So might be nice to think twice before posting! Even if it is a sad thread to read...just move on!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:58 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Easy tiger....different things matter to different people. Some people pay £60,000.00 for personalised numbers and some people pay loadsa money for easy phone numbers, business as well as private. Some people just don't care! So might be nice to think twice before posting! Even if it is a sad thread to read...just move on!
I did think twice - as I couldn't believe I was being so mild in my first response

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.