Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I start a business in Australia?

Can I start a business in Australia?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

mashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nice
Default Can I start a business in Australia?

Hi everyone.

I'm a 24 y/o electrician based in Sydney. My girlfriend was sponsored on a 457 last year and I am the de facto partner. After the rule change we are looking to apply for PR in July 2013.

Anyway, I am looking to start my own company here and I was wondering if anyone is clued up on the logistics of this for a temporary resident. Or if it's even possible.

I've emailed the small business dept of the NSW gov but I'm looking for any input you all may have.

Thanks.

Ross.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I start a business in Australia?

I can't see why it wouldn't be possible (although no ideas on what you need to do). I would just be wary that if you should lose your 457 visa for any reason, you might not have much time to wrap the company up before you have to leave?

What rule change are you referring to by the way?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

mashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nicemashup is just really nice

The change that now means my girlfriend has to be employed by her sponsor for two years before applying for PR instead of one..
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

you dont need to be a pr to incorporate an australian pty ltd company. at least one director of the company has to be an australian resident (in the ordinary sense of the word): s201A, Corporations Act.

You don't need to form a company at all, of course - you could just be a sole trader (with personal liability).

Your bigger problem is going to be with licensing, which in NSW is overseen by the Dept of Fair Trading: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tr...lectrical.html
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:58 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not sure if you may be eligible for some sort of business visa.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

I've already got my NSW contractors license and you are right, it is the hardest part.

Already got a valid visa too.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the small business dept in the next few days and I can start planning.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:35 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mashup
I've already got my NSW contractors license and you are right, it is the hardest part.

Already got a valid visa too.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the small business dept in the next few days and I can start planning.
if youve got your contractors licence all you need is an abn and your done
i`m assuming your going into sparking for yourself?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I've got contractors and an ABN, but I want to actually have a business name etc....

Yeah Steve I am. How have you found it over here?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:22 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mashup
Yeah I've got contractors and an ABN, but I want to actually have a business name etc...
You don't need to have a company in order to have a business name. You can register a business name with ASIC without having a company. (In fact, you must register a business name with ASIC unless you're doing business under your own real name or under the name of a company). Information is here: http://asic.gov.au/asic/ASIC.NSF/byH...siness%20names Some sources (and people) might suggest that business name registration is done by the state trading standards people - they're out of date. ASIC took over all business name registration for the whole of Australia from May 2012.

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't register a company, just that if all you want is to trade under a business name, there are other ways to do it apart from registering a company. There are upsides (limited liability) and downsides (a bit more expensive to do tax returns etc) to registering a company.

A canny accountant/tax adviser will be able to give you the low down on this. Are you in Sydney? I know someone that has a good reputation among sole traders/independent businesspeople.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

I am in Sydney and I would love their contact details.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:18 pm

Hi mashup

Apologies for overlooking this until now. In order to avoid being identified as a shill I have sent you their details - if you end up using them and are happy with them too, post their name here!