Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can i sponser my brother?

Wikiposts

can i sponser my brother?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i sponser my brother?

Originally Posted by alwilco
Perhaps you could be a little more “Mr Helpful" and actually state what is incorrect and what your version of it is! Our advice came from an agent.

1. You do not need to be a citizen to sponsor. Permanent residents can sponsor (must be living in Australia, and assurance of support rules can affect some recent PRs however).

2. There is no such thing as a "family repatriation" visa (skilled sponsored, remaining relative, contributory parent etc - yes. family repatriation - no).

3. There is no rule currently that requires sponsored family members to live near their sponsor. Might change next year for just one type of visa but that's it.

Information on the rules for pretty much all migrant visas is contained in the migration booklets on the DIMIA site. For example, skilled sponsored visas are described in booklet 6.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked into it for sponsoring my sister and one needs to be an oz citizen first; then sponsor them for a family repatriation visa. When they get here they have to live in the same city/location.
Hope this helps, cheers, Alex.
i AM SPONSORING MY DAUGHTER, I have been here 10 mths, i am on PR, she is child dependant. Maybe it is different because she is my daughter. Denise
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

ummm very confusing, i am still non the wiser!
so i think i can sponsor him as skilled sponsored, but his job isn't on the skilled occup list
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:06 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy is an agent too ... remember that not all agents have the same depth of knowledge and Jeremy is one of the most knowledgeable out there ...

Best regards.

Perhaps you could be a little more “Helpful" and actually state what is incorrect and what your version of it is! Our advice came from an agent.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by cranni
You have to have PR, I have been here 10 months i am sponsoring my daughter, i thought we would have to be here 2 yrs, but immi said i could now, so there you go. Denise

Thats interesting to note.....we (or rather, Caz) will be sponsoring her folks and we also were under the impression she had to be there for 2 years!

Did they give a reason for allowing you to move ahead early?

Would prove very helpful as they plan to come with us on a 6 month temp visitors visa and keep renewing it every 6 months until we can sponsor them. The only drawback with this is they would have to keep going off-shore to renew!! Bummer....Bali every 6 months eh? Someones gotta do it I suppose!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Thats interesting to note.....we (or rather, Caz) will be sponsoring her folks and we also were under the impression she had to be there for 2 years!

Would prove very helpful as they plan to come with us on a 6 month temp visitors visa and keep renewing it every 6 months until we can sponsor them. The only drawback with this is they would have to keep going off-shore to renew!! Bummer....Bali every 6 months eh? Someones gotta do it I suppose!
You need 2 years to sponsor parents.

G
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The only drawback with this is they would have to keep going off-shore to renew!! Bummer....Bali every 6 months eh? Someones gotta do it I suppose!
That is a very risky option as immigration will refuse entry if they think anyone is trying to live in Australia on a visitor's visa.

G
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
You need 2 years to sponsor parents.

G

OK, thats fine......what we thought anyway.

Why is it different for sponsoring kids .....anyone know?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think George Lombard has already dealt with much of your query on the Immigration Forum, but here are my thoughts:

- If you are moving to Australia you can sponsor a close relative for a Skilled - Australian Sponsored visa (subclass number 138) from the time you arrive to live in Australia.

- The person you are sponsoring MUST have a skilled occupation, and have a positive skills assessment classification from the relevant assessing body. If you live in Sydney (or close to Sydney) this occupation must be on what is known as the SSASSL. If you live anywhere else the occupation must be on the SOL. DIMIA form 1121i refers.

- Visas under subclass number 138 are points tested. The pass mark is 110 points, NOT 120 points as is the case for the Skilled Independent (subclass number 136) visa.

- The other family sponsored skilled visa you may see mentioned is the Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored visa (subclass number 139). This visa requires the family sponsor to live in what is called a "Designated Area" and to have done so for at least 12 months at the time the visa application is lodged with the DIMIA.

- The 139 visa is NOT points tested. Note though that it is expected that this visa will cease to be available in its present form for applications lodged after 1 July 2006 - the replacement should be a provisional visa requiring the visaholder to live in a regional area of Australia for 2 years, and to work in the same for 12 months before a permanent visa is granted (similar to the requirements that apply to the Skilled Independent Regional visa that is already in place).

- Both family sponsored skilled visas require the applicant to have an Assurer in place. Such a person need not be a relative, but must have assessable income as evidenced by Tax Assessment Notices issued by the Australian Taxation Office for the last two income tax years showing the required level of assessable income (if they show more than A$40,000 for the last two tax years all should be well).

- The Assurer is also required to lodge an Assurance of Support Bond.

Hope this helps. If you and/or your brother want any more help please feel able to call my office in Southampton:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

Best regards.

Originally Posted by island.girl
ummm very confusing, i am still non the wiser!
so i think i can sponsor him as skilled sponsored, but his job isn't on the skilled occup list
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:21 pm
Migration Agent

That's right - the rules as to the period you are required to have lived in Australia are different for sponsoring a dependent child as against a parent ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by cranni
i AM SPONSORING MY DAUGHTER, I have been here 10 mths, i am on PR, she is child dependant. Maybe it is different because she is my daughter. Denise
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is a very risky option as immigration will refuse entry if they think anyone is trying to live in Australia on a visitor's visa.

G
Yeah we realise this......however, our agent recommended this option to us. She is Australian with a wealth of experience and claims to have carried this out successfully in the past! Time will tell eh!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:32 pm
Migration Agent

Can I also add in reply to the original enquirer that there is a need for a skilled visa applicant to have worked in a skilled occupation "recently" - this is a basic requirement of general skilled migration.

I believe from your posting on the Immigration Forum that your brother might not meet that requirement presently, so he may have to consider returning to a skilled occupation (one on the SOL - or SSASSL if required, but check this point with an agent) for a period of 6 or 12 months (depending on which visa pathway he goes down).

Best regards.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , Michelle came over on a student visa. We came over last year, we was sponsored so we PR.
I rang DIMIA PERTH and they said i could sposor her because we had PR. I was surprised as well, i thought it would be 2 yrs, it might be because she is child dependant. Denise
By the way not all agents no everything . because my agent said it culd not be done.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

[QUOTE=island.girl]would anyone please be able to advise me?
is there anyway i can sponser my brother to live in oz permanently,
once we are there obviously!
we have independant skilled visa's.
he is a moter mechanic by trade but has no recent work expierience in that,
he is a qualified surf instructor and lifeguard now and that is what he has recent expierience in.
your views please! [/QUOTE

hi,i am still in the UK but when i went to Visa-Go i asked if i could use my cousin to sponsor me (he has been in Australia for 25yrs) they said yes but i could not live in the same part of Australia as him which i find quite strange .
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:29 am
Migration Agent

Hmmm ... call them again to check this ... maybe you misunderstood what was said?

Best regards.

[QUOTE=zbettyboop]
Originally Posted by island.girl
would anyone please be able to advise me?
is there anyway i can sponser my brother to live in oz permanently,
once we are there obviously!
we have independant skilled visa's.
he is a moter mechanic by trade but has no recent work expierience in that,
he is a qualified surf instructor and lifeguard now and that is what he has recent expierience in.
your views please! [/QUOTE

hi,i am still in the UK but when i went to Visa-Go i asked if i could use my cousin to sponsor me (he has been in Australia for 25yrs) they said yes but i could not live in the same part of Australia as him which i find quite strange .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.