Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:27 pm
ozduffs

Default Can I search your bag please?

Hi all,

1 I know that there are signs when you enter the shop,

2 I know that it is nothing personal,

and

3 I know that if it reduces shoplifting, it will benefit honest shoppers,

but when my wife told me today that while she was in a clothes shop, that an assistant asked her to open her bag, I was livid.

I am surprised that Australians put up with this. If this ever happens to me, I am not sure that I will be able to keep my composure.

It may not be 'personal', but if someone doubts my honesty, I can't help but take it personally.

Has anyone else had an experience of this?

Mike

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:34 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i search your bag

I was a bit suprised when i was asked if i minded having my bag searched when i first went to oz. I assumed it was because i was a skint back packer who looked like they would probably risk deportation for a free packet of Maggi noodles. However, i asked some local Aussie friends who said it was the norm. I must say it never really bothered me as if youve nothing to hide then youve nothing to worry about. In fact im not sure why they dont do it in england maybe things would be a little cheaper!

julie

Wheres our TRA!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:40 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I search your bag please?

Originally posted by ozduffs
Hi all,

and

but when my wife told me today that while she was in a clothes shop, that an assistant asked her to open her bag, I was livid.

I am surprised that Australians put up with this. If this ever happens to me, I am not sure that I will be able to keep my composure.

It may not be 'personal', but if someone doubts my honesty, I can't help but take it personally.

Mike
Yes, in Big W a lot.

Try carrying a huge handbag with handcuffs, huge vibrator, fake hand-grenades etc !

Haven't tried it but imagine the fun!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:44 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Pookin
Yes, in Big W a lot.

Try carrying a huge handbag with handcuffs, huge vibrator, fake hand-grenades etc !

Haven't tried it but imagine the fun!

lol

that would give them something to talk about.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:56 pm
ozduffs

Default Re: Can i search your bag

I don't go by that "If you've got nothing to hide......"philosophy.

I expect to be given the benefit of the doubt. Do you think that this is good customer service?

"Excuse me sir, but you may have stolen something. Don't mind if I check, do you?"

Why don't you try it at work? Ask one of your colleagues to empty their draw. I am sure that if they have nothing to hide, they won't mind at all.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:01 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
lol

that would give them something to talk about.
My wife had a bumper pack of tampons in her bag once Got a bit of a giggle, seeing as it was a bloke who was checking the bags.

I have to admit, its somthing that REALLY annoys me. The only shop i've had it done in was k-mart, and they do it to everyone. I wonder how much money it actually does save? They have someone there full time (in mt gambier), and that persons salary has got to be about 35k. Do they really stop 35ks worth of shoplifting every year?

On our way out once, i was asked. I just said no way and carried on going! They did'nt actually do anything anyway......
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:04 pm
Be true to your skew

I expect to be given the benefit of the doubt. Do you think that this is good customer service?

"Excuse me sir, but you may have stolen something. Don't mind if I check, do you?"

Why don't you try it at work? Ask one of your colleagues to empty their draw. I am sure that if they have nothing to hide, they won't mind at all.
I do see your point. The first time it happened to me I was carrying a tiny handbag and had walked out because I couldn't find what I wanted in the shop.

I was stopped and my bag searched (luckily they missed the 54cm TV stuffed in my knickers!), got used to it now. It's not personal - just red-tape.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:06 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only been asked once that was in Target, where there was a woman posted to look in bags as people entered the store. I wasn't checked after I had left the store.

I haven't been stopped since but I am much more aware of knowing where my receipts are in case I am asked especially if I have carrier bags from another store where I have already been shopping.

But don't other people have that look you give, the 'don't look at me as if I am a thief' look, it seems to keep the bag searchers at bay
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:06 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pookin
(luckily they missed the 54cm TV stuffed in my knickers!)

LOL

"Excuse me madam, would i be able to inspect your angular bulge?"
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:07 pm
tennisoz

Hi all,

and

Mike
Yeah, believe it or not shoplifting is common in Australia. When you are brought up with it you offer to show your bag first - and they usually say that's OK. Then you can walk out with the items Pookin mentioned which you have shoplifted Only joking! I read a report that prices in either UK or Australia were 10% higher solely due to the losses sustained by shoplifting.

Seriously, don't anyone take the request to search your bags personally. The flip side of the coin is that I am amazed they don't do it here in the UK. Here's a question for everyone. I was in a well known store at the weekend which sells electrical goods and I saw a guy shoplift. What would you do? I must add at this point that he was very big and for all intents and purposes looked like he was 'on something' at the time. Just to balance it (lest anyone think I'm accusing the Brits of being shoplifters), when we were in Oz in August we saw an old guy shoplifting in the $2 shop. He got caught by the assistant who was watching on the security camera screens so there was no moral dilemma on this one. And I don't mean Aussie store assistants are more vigilant - I'm getting to know this forum aren't I!

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:09 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by tennisoz
Yeah, believe it or not shoplifting is common in Australia. When you are brought up with it you offer to show your bag first - and they usually say that's OK. Then you can walk out with the items Pookin mentioned which you have shoplifted Only joking! I read a report that prices in either UK or Australia were 10% higher solely due to the losses sustained by shoplifting.

Seriously, don't anyone take the request to search your bags personally. The flip side of the coin is that I am amazed they don't do it here in the UK. Here's a question for everyone. I was in a well known store at the weekend which sells electrical goods and I saw a guy shoplift. What would you do? I must add at this point that he was very big and for all intents and purposes looked like he was 'on something' at the time. Just to balance it (lest anyone think I'm accusing the Brits of being shoplifters), when we were in Oz in August we saw an old guy shoplifting in the $2 shop. He got caught by the assistant who was watching on the security camera screens so there was no moral dilemma on this one. And I don't mean Aussie store assistants are more vigilant - I'm getting to know this forum aren't I!

TennisOz
I've seen somone shoplifting before; I just walked up to the nearest assistant and told her what was "going down". Then i paid for my bits and left...
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:16 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

often they do it to every single person exiting the store with a large bag.

Usually you can volunteer your bag on the way in, and they will check it and tape it or something to prove you're legit.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:28 pm
Badge

Originally posted by PeteY
LOL

"Excuse me madam, would i be able to inspect your angular bulge?"
Pookin - so that is the platform your husband puts his beer on, eh?

(see Bums thread)

badgers
;-)

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:38 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by PeteY
I've seen somone shoplifting before; I just walked up to the nearest assistant and told her what was "going down". Then i paid for my bits and left...
Ditto, don't tackle the shoplifter point it out to the assistant and let them get on with it.

This is an aside, I chuckle at my mother's story of how she was shopping in the supermarket with her friend. She took a jar of coffee off the shelf and put it into her friend's trolley with the words 'there's that jar of coffee I owe you'. (think about it)

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:55 pm
Be true to your skew

Originally posted by badgersmount
Pookin - so that is the platform your husband puts his beer on, eh?

(see Bums thread)

badgers
;-)
Nah, he just hitches a ride.
Attached Thumbnails Can I search your bag please?-arse.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.