Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I offer on two properties?

Can I offer on two properties?

Old May 30th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I offer on two properties?

This might be a complicated subject to do a search on, so forgive me if it's been covered before.

I'm interested in two properties. One, my fav but maybe too expensive, I need more info on before offering. The other is my second favourite and they have an offer in on it already, so I might lose out if I don't make an offer now.

My question is, can I offer on one but withdraw it if I soon have an offer accepted on the other? If my first one is accepted, how long before I have to put a deposit down?

I hope someone can give me a pointer here!
Old May 30th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can I offer on two properties?

Originally Posted by quercus
This might be a complicated subject to do a search on, so forgive me if it's been covered before.

I'm interested in two properties. One, my fav but maybe too expensive, I need more info on before offering. The other is my second favourite and they have an offer in on it already, so I might lose out if I don't make an offer now.

My question is, can I offer on one but withdraw it if I soon have an offer accepted on the other? If my first one is accepted, how long before I have to put a deposit down?

I hope someone can give me a pointer here!
Under QLD law, you get a 5 working day cooling off period when signing for a property.

Also when signing, you normally get approx 2 weeks for which to go unconditional...at which point you are committed.

Once an offer has been accepted, the agent will normally want you to put a $1,000 deposit and sign the contract. This is when your cooling off period begins. Then, say 2 weeks later a further $10,000 following confirmation of finance and it then normally goes unconditional.

Nothing stopping you putting as many offers in as you like.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Longreach, that's just the information I was after. Thanks for that.

I've just been talking to a conveyancer and he thinks I won't get foreign investment review board (?) approval for buying an old property as i'm not yet pr. I had thought they were ok with it. Do you know anything about that?
Old May 30th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

I've just been talking to a conveyancer and he thinks I won't get foreign investment review board (?) approval for buying an old property as i'm not yet pr. I had thought they were ok with it. Do you know anything about that?
Thats a possibility. It is geared towards new builds. More info here...

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_...esidential.asp
Old May 30th 2008, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=quercus;6411863]Longreach, that's just the information I was after. Thanks for that.

(/QUOTE]

If you pull out under the 5 day cooling off clause there you pay 0.25% of the purchase price to the seller. Theres been threads on this before, where people have said they didnt know, but it is all clearly set out in the contract.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=jad n rich;6412111]

(/QUOTE]

If you pull out under the 5 day cooling off clause there you pay 0.25% of the purchase price to the seller. Theres been threads on this before, where people have said they didnt know, but it is all clearly set out in the contract.
Good point!

This is down to the seller. They may deduct a 0.25% penalty.

Read the contract here at http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/Depart...ct+of+Sale.pdf

Last edited by longreach; May 30th 2008 at 3:26 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longreach
Under QLD law, you get a 5 working day cooling off period when signing for a property.

Also when signing, you normally get approx 2 weeks for which to go unconditional...at which point you are committed.

Once an offer has been accepted, the agent will normally want you to put a $1,000 deposit and sign the contract. This is when your cooling off period begins. Then, say 2 weeks later a further $10,000 following confirmation of finance and it then normally goes unconditional.

Nothing stopping you putting as many offers in as you like.
And just to make clear, when I say offers I mean offers. Not going to contract! I wouldn't advise signing multiple contracts and then start backing out of ones you don't want.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by longreach
And just to make clear, when I say offers I mean offers. Not going to contract! I wouldn't advise signing multiple contracts and then start backing out of ones you don't want.
Although most agents here wont even consider an offer unless it is in a formal contract.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:15 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I know different state, different rules (NSW).

The offer we made on this place we put a time limit if when the offer would expire, it was accepted, then we signed the contract at our solicitors at 9am, by 11am the REA was telling us another offer with signed contract was ready to go with a higher offer. We did go higher & got the place, but the b%*)@)*$ were going to accept another offer even though we had survey done & sign our part, just had not exchanged with sellers contract to make it legally binding.

Thus, I would look into making offers before the signing bit. The seller/REA can be devious, why not the buyer?
Old May 30th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The whole process looks like a pit of vipers for the unwary.

The FIRB will allow an older property but there are a string of conditions.

It's certainly useful to know about the cooling off period and possible penalty, but I was surprised to hear a contract usually has to be signed to make an offer. Nice for the legal profession!

Now I'm reconsidering building, but that would have a whole different set of complications. Hmm.

Thanks everyone who contributed to the thread. I'll mull it all over during the weekend. Have a good one everyone. Q
Old May 30th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

when we put an offer in for our house we had to put it in writing (a contract with a 0.25% penalty if we pulled out within the 'cooling off period') - so i would suggest you can't offfer on 2 houses at once because what if thay both agree - you pay 0.25% to one of them to pull out - and, yes, we weren't allowed to put a verbal offer in, it had to be a written (contract) offer...don't know if this is standard procedure though.
Old May 31st 2008, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Yes, signing a contract with your offer is the norm in Qld. This is a standard REIQ contract, but you can put clauses of your own in like "subject to finance approval" and "subject to satisfactory building & pest inspection". The contract is done by the RE agent and when both parties have signed (i.e the seller accepts your offer) it is forwrded to the solicitors/conveyancers.