Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

Wikiposts

Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:20 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

Originally Posted by The Druid
Thats my kind of cider, we only get genuine "scrumpy" here in the south west counties, as I am in the north west I dont get it that often, flagons of cloudy murcy extremely alcoholic apple juice and a great big cornish pastie to boot............... dont know how I am going to manage in Aus.......
Brew yer own from juiced apples? Just add yeast, sugars for stronger brew, and keep the air out. Cornish pasties - roll your own.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Generally but I tried your link - it did not work so I found a working link for you.
Funny ,? works for me, but then i think my "pooter" is possessed :scared: ... MM
Old Jan 29th 2005, 12:58 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

"... ended up in the UK," he said.

"[I] went into a supermarket and there was not just an ordinary selection of apples, and I tried them and they were absolutely beautiful"
Exactly, you can't get good apples in Australian supermarkets or even the grocers that I've looked in. No decent varieties to be had.
Oak rules at the Burra cider house
Oh please please please let them do long-distance delivery!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Exactly, you can't get good apples in Australian supermarkets or even the grocers that I've looked in. No decent varieties to be had.Oh please please please let them do long-distance delivery!
Give 'em a call.

When apples cost per kg more than pork in supermarkets - not much demand.

Growing cider apples
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:15 am
Class 2 Guru

When apples cost per kg more than pork in supermarkets - not much demand.
Not a very useful comparison. In the UK people are fond of saying that petrol is cheaper than milk, so it must be good value despite the high taxation; that's really not the point, because they serve different purposes. Now that's a damn fine link. They've got some lovely cider apple varieties there. Sigh.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:24 am
Banned

Not a very useful comparison. In the UK people are fond of saying that petrol is cheaper than milk, so it must be good value despite the high taxation; that's really not the point, because they serve different purposes.Now that's a damn fine link. They've got some lovely cider apple varieties there. Sigh.
Well, in Australia people sniff both petrol and milk and they eat both apples and pork.

Being high in protein, the food value of pork is much greater than apples which are largely just sugary, starchy water. As a vegetable carrots are ~0.25 times the cost of apples, much better food value and a better juice.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:47 am
Class 2 Guru

Well, in Australia people sniff both petrol and milk and they eat both apples and pork.
What, all at the same time? That explains a lot...
Being high in protein, the food value of pork is much greater than apples which are largely just sugary, starchy water.
That's my point, you don't eat pork and apples for the same reason. Different kinds of pleasure (or utility in the case of petrol/milk) are valued differently. There's much much more to food than "food value" (and even that is not simply a matter of the highly over-valued protein; if we ate only protein we would be dead in no time: scurvy/rickets/kwashiorkor anyone?) That's why doing a comparison by weight or volume is meaningless.

Getting back to the matter in hand, I suppose I should look for a good nursery.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 12:05 pm
Banned

What, all at the same time? That explains a lot...That's my point, you don't eat pork and apples for the same reason. Different kinds of pleasure (or utility in the case of petrol/milk) are valued differently. There's much much more to food than "food value" (and even that is not simply a matter of the highly over-valued protein; if we ate only protein we would be dead in no time: scurvy/rickets/kwashiorkor anyone?) That's why doing a comparison by weight or volume is meaningless.

Getting back to the matter in hand, I suppose I should look for a good nursery.
A kg of beans or carrots have more food value than a kilo of apples and a kg of mangoes or custard apples has more taste.

Have you considered your climate - apples need chilly winters - some varieties more than others.

Have you patrolled the long paddock in your area - see what grows and you will get apples for free but are probably infected with grubs.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 12:56 pm
Class 2 Guru

a kg of mangoes or custard apples has more taste.
Again, "more" isn't "better". It's just different. I happen to like mangoes and apples, and would consider it daft to say that one of them was better than the other. I can buy perfectly good mangoes here but am doomed to buying second-rate apple varieties. Hence my yearning for better apples. OTOH I have yet to explore fully the more Asian fruit that were ludicrously expensive in the UK.
Have you considered your climate - apples need chilly winters - some varieties more than others.
Oh yes, I understand perfectly well why there are no good apples grown commercially in Oz. I just miss them terribly.
Have you patrolled the long paddock in your area - see what grows and you will get apples for free but are probably infected with grubs.
That doesn't worry me in the least. Scrumping is a great British tradition! Funnily enough I recently saw (much to my surprise) a heavily laden crab apple tree dropping its excess wares. Not that I'm advocating eating crab apples, but where they grow, I might expect interesting eating apples too.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:44 pm
Banned

Again, "more" isn't "better". It's just different. I happen to like mangoes and apples, and would consider it daft to say that one of them was better than the other. I can buy perfectly good mangoes here but am doomed to buying second-rate apple varieties. Hence my yearning for better apples. OTOH I have yet to explore fully the more Asian fruit that were ludicrously expensive in the UK.Oh yes, I understand perfectly well why there are no good apples grown commercially in Oz. I just miss them terribly.That doesn't worry me in the least. Scrumping is a great British tradition! Funnily enough I recently saw (much to my surprise) a heavily laden crab apple tree dropping its excess wares. Not that I'm advocating eating crab apples, but where they grow, I might expect interesting eating apples too.
For me, more for / in less is better - occassionaly eat apples in winter when there is less variety of fruit.

If you live near an area with cool / cold winters, I'd be surprised is you can not find a local cheap producer of at least some of your favourite apples if you dig around. Try your local "fruit-ologist" or phone some suppliers.

The British immigrants used to be good at making all sorts of jungle-juice. Many of the older Italian, Greek, ... migrants still order in ~ a tonne of grapes each year and make their own wines and grappa. Maybe a bit more digging around will reveal someone making home-brewing scrumpy. Try asking at your local home-brewers shop.