Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I Get Funding From Australia To Help Me To Take My Masters Degree In Aus?

Can I Get Funding From Australia To Help Me To Take My Masters Degree In Aus?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I Get Funding From Australia To Help Me To Take My Masters Degree In Aus?

Hello,

I have been an Australian Permanent resident since 2003. However I am currently living overseas in Poland teaching English as a foreign language in a very good school here. This whole experience has made me think that it is time for me to get my Masters Degree in Education. I already have two BA (Hons) degrees and a bunch of teaching experience.

My question is this: My contract at this school here finishes next June when I will more than likely return to Australia. Will I be able to study my masters degree in Australia? And is there any chance that I could get funding from Australia to help me with this?

Thank you in advance...

Ian
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:59 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can I Get Funding From Australia To Help Me To Take My Masters Degree In Aus?

I'm pretty sure most Post Grad is fee paying.

A lot of Unis have fee assistance though.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

aussiepr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I Get Funding From Australia To Help Me To Take My Masters Degree In Aus?

permanent residents are eligible for commonwealth supported places. will reduce ur fee by a lot. check out http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ for more info.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You are not eligible for HECS help or FEELOAN help on a PR visa. Only Australian citizens can apply for it.

As a PR holder the only real advantage is that you do not pay international rates, rather domestic which can make a large unit cost difference. Other than that, I'm afraid you are going to have to pay yourself.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

MRes (some MA/MSc qualify as research degrees) qualifies for fees paid and possibly scholarship. Scholarship is competitive and you have to show first-class equivalence.

You apply before Oct 31 to get funding for the next year.

Look under Research for your preferred uni and see what MRes covers.

BTW, I think they expect MRes to go on to do PhD. You will need to make friends with your proposed supervisor as they will fight your case when the scholarships are doled out.

Ian
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, the above posts are on the mark and have covered most points. Degrees, especially Masters are very poorly funded in Australia for PR residents. You should be able to get a Commonwealth funded place but even this isn't a certainty. This will enable you to pay the domestic fee rate but you will have to pay each semester in full in advance without discounts that apply to Citizens if they do this. There is no grant system to help and Masters degree's don't usually allow you to apply for any form of Youth allowance etc. I have a son doing a Masters and even as a citizen it is extremely tough trying to do a full time research based course, attend classes, study for exams and still work enough hours to find money for rent and food etc. Without parental financial support I think you will find it very hard, do you have anyone to help support you through your course?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Stupid question but did you get a RRV before you left Australia? If you've had PR since 2003 then it would have expired by now.

Edited to say nevermind... I noticed on another thread you've got an RRV that's valid until 2003. Thought of deleting this but I'll leave it on in case anyone else notices the same thing.

Last edited by comet555; Oct 14th 2009 at 2:43 am.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:20 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I got a scholarship and a bursary from http://www.jason.edu.au/

It's a scholarship website that lets you search many available sources of funding.

Most are highly competitive though so you would need to be strong in academics or have a strange background (by that I mean there are a number of scholarships for people with very specific backgrounds i.e. Dad was a vicar in the Swedish Navy or you are the daughter of an ultra-radical feminist nuclear physicist). It can be amusing to read!