Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I buy car in oz before I get oz license

Can I buy car in oz before I get oz license

Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Can I buy car in oz before I get oz license

We are trying to buy a car in oz but the person that we want to buy from says that the RTA form that he needs to complete is asking for an oz driving license number of the person he is selling to (ie us). I am sure we bought a car in oz last time we were over here before we got oz license. Could someone comfirm whether it is possible and if so what does the seller put on the online form where the our oz driving license number should go.
thanks
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:43 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can I buy car in oz before I get oz license

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are trying to buy a car in oz but the person that we want to buy from says that the RTA form that he needs to complete is asking for an oz driving license number of the person he is selling to (ie us). I am sure we bought a car in oz last time we were over here before we got oz license. Could someone comfirm whether it is possible and if so what does the seller put on the online form where the our oz driving license number should go.
thanks
we brought one on UK license...no idea what goes on the form.

Edit: I didn't realise you needed a license to "own" a car, I thought the license was to allow you to drive it???
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:39 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
thanks
In NSW, if you don't have a licence number you can get a customer number from the RTA and this would go on the form in the same spot.

You'll need to go to your local RTA with proof of identity to get this.

link to RTA info
Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

A relative of mine has bought a car recently and only has a uk license (QLD)
xx
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

You will need to get a Customer Service Number from the RTA.

I recently registered my ute in Queensland and still hold an NSW Driving license. I informed the person behind the counter that I did not wish to change my licence over to Qld as I still had a residence in NSW and that was were I was to spend most of my time. No worries at all. I just had a CSN given to me and my ute was registered in my name at my Queensland address and that was it.

Barney
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought it must be possible but there was no indication of this on the rta website. Will go to the rta first thing tomorrow.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

It only takes half an hour to get a license and you need one anyway so maybe thats the best route.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:42 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
It only takes half an hour to get a license and you need one anyway so maybe thats the best route.
In NSW, if you're here on a temporary visa, you need to have been resident for 6 months, so it may not be possible yet for the OP. You can also only get a licence valid for 12 months, so it may also not be particularly cost effective.