British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Can i ask for your honest opinions & thoughts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-i-ask-your-honest-opinions-thoughts-317441/)

adele m Aug 1st 2005 10:03 pm

Re: Can i ask for your honest opinions & thoughts

we have had our visa's since feb 05 and have just been waiting to sort out hubby's job. i don't think i've had a full nights sleep since !!!
i too am going through the is the right thing to do or not but today have reached a point of no return. the packers came today and as i write the house is in boxes!!!
i just keep thinking about the original reasons why we first embarked on this long and exciting road to oz and then i feel better.
we fly out on oct 4th.
one big adventure !!!! :) :) :)

cranni Aug 2nd 2005 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rossifumi
To all of you out there who have your visas already.
Can you honestly say, hand on heart, it was the best descision you made. Only asking because last night reality set in........AND I WAS SCARED!!!!
Lying there in bed which when tiredness sets in is probably the worst time of the day anyway everything gets magnified!. Thinking about all the things we must do and make sure are in place, sell this, do that, SNAKES!!!! SPIDERS!!!
Which I'm not even afraid of anyway. What am I going to tell Rich in the morning...'I really don't want to go!!' He'll go ballistic!
Then morning came, clearish head, back to normal now. Really like to hear about your pre emmigration fears and then your post emmigration experiences, were your fears warranted at all?

Lynn :scared: :scared:
Mrs Rossifumi

well we came out at christmas to Bunbury WA, a week before we left UK i wanted to buy another house, i was so scared, we had 5 suit cases , 5 t chest 3 children and leaving 3 older ones back home. It was the hardest thingi have ever done, treat it as an adventure think of it as a holiday, never say never. 7 months down the line i have 4 kids here now my daughter of 19 has come out to live and my son of 22 is coming out at xmas, we absolutely loveit here, it is so clean and beautiful so you dont really think of the creepy crawlies. If you dont like it you can go back, but give it a chance, its the best decision we have made. Denise ex Morecambrian

anya4oz Aug 2nd 2005 9:25 am

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Lynn,
I think that this must be quite normal as I too woke up at 3am and thought OMG. Luckily the thoughts didn't last long and I am back to thinking 'how much longer'?
I'm sure this is all part of the process, best wishes to you,
Sarah

LOL - you wait till you've been living here for a year and wake up at 3am thinking 'OMG - I'm in Australia - and guess what, it feels good'!

I think some of us are just looking for excuses to wake up at 3am, frankly :scared:

Cheers
Anya.

Professional Princess Aug 2nd 2005 10:10 am

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, it was the best descision you made. Only asking because last night reality set in........AND I WAS SCARED!!!!
Lying there in bed which when tiredness sets in is probably the worst time of the day anyway everything gets magnified!. Thinking about all the things we must do and make sure are in place, sell this, do that, SNAKES!!!! SPIDERS!!!
Which I'm not even afraid of anyway. What am I going to tell Rich in the morning...'I really don't want to go!!' He'll go ballistic!
Then morning came, clearish head, back to normal now. Really like to hear about your pre emmigration fears and then your post emmigration experiences, were your fears warranted at all?

Mrs Rossifumi

Its true, night times are the worst for making little worries big ones and big worries massive ones.

Its normal to be scared in any life changing move so be gentle on yourself.

Nothing is carved in stone, so take that huge leap forward and give it a go because you will regret it if you don't.

Learn to take your emotions for what they are, and dont let them cloud your judgement.

When your sitting in your new home, new country with a cold beer in your hand, you will know you made the right choice.

Good luck

Samantha

cranni Aug 2nd 2005 10:28 am

Originally Posted by anya4oz
LOL - you wait till you've been living here for a year and wake up at 3am thinking 'OMG - I'm in Australia - and guess what, it feels good'!

I think some of us are just looking for excuses to wake up at 3am, frankly :scared:

Cheers
Anya.

I agree Anya, Iwake up in the night as well and cant believe i am here, 12 months of stress certainly takes it out of u. We have been here in WA 7 months and i still cant believe we r here, i have nightmares about the whole emigrating process i found it so stressful, but well worth it.

Phoenixuk2oz Aug 2nd 2005 10:30 am

Mrs Rossifumi

We'd never been to Aus before we moved here :scared:

Great job in UK, nice house, close family, excellent long term friends...so no NEED to leave.

But we wanted to.

Wanted to experience life, rather than live with regrets. Decided the worse that could happen.....was we go back. So what?

Then we arrived in Aus. Against all the odds, we'd made it.

AND WE LOVE IT :beer:

Could just as easily have been the other way. But we were lucky :o

Then again, it's not utopia, we had no preconcieved ideas and we accept shit happens wherever in the world you live.

We accept the good and the bad of Aus and get on with it :p

So maybe it's not luck ;)

Good luck. And make sure you do what's right for YOU ;)

boom_meringue Aug 2nd 2005 11:28 am

Mrs Rossifumi

Don't worry, Australia is full of Cornish who went out to mine gold so you'll feel right at home. We will be down in Redruth next week, spending our last week with Clare's mum and seeing family. PM me if you want to get together for a drink

Steve

THEGREATIDIOT Aug 3rd 2005 2:11 am

It was the worst decision we ever made and completely ruined our lives, mine especially.

Just thought I'd give you a bit of honesty and perspective. :(

ABCDiamond Aug 3rd 2005 2:14 am

In the long run, it's been the best choice for me and my family, although I did waver at one point :)

cranni Aug 3rd 2005 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
We'd never been to Aus before we moved here :scared:

Great job in UK, nice house, close family, excellent long term friends...so no NEED to leave.

But we wanted to.

Wanted to experience life, rather than live with regrets. Decided the worse that could happen.....was we go back. So what?

Then we arrived in Aus. Against all the odds, we'd made it.

AND WE LOVE IT :beer:

Could just as easily have been the other way. But we were lucky :o

Then again, it's not utopia, we had no preconcieved ideas and we accept shit happens wherever in the world you live.

We accept the good and the bad of Aus and get on with it :p

So maybe it's not luck ;)

Good luck. And make sure you do what's right for YOU ;)

i agree to all u said, and we feel just the same, we absolutely love it, and sometimes when i think about family problems back home i am glad i am well away from it. wishing u all the very best, Denise WA

JackTheLad Aug 3rd 2005 3:19 am

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, it was the best descision you made.

I wouldn't call it the best decision, but it certainly hasn't been a bad one so far. It was just a decision and a commitment we made together. The future is just what we make of it. If we run into any problems or have any worries, we'll just have to deal with them like we did before moving over here.

Our best decision since arriving in Brisbane, however, was to have picked up a lovely dog from the shelter. I suppose if we didn't come here, we wouldn't have found him. :)

Mrs JTL

Wanderlust Aug 3rd 2005 3:56 am

Hi,

I have been here almost one year, and nearly every day I wake up I can't get over how lucky I feel to be here.
I went through the same 'What the hell am I doing' feelings before I left the UK, and some times during the first few months of being here - but it has been worth every single minute of waiting and every stressed out day of waiting to hear if I have a visa or not.
Every ex-pat Brit I've met since I've been here (some having been here up to 25yrs) have all said that moving here was the best thing they had ever done and that they'd never consider moving back to the UK.

Hang in there mate - chances are that like most of us over here - you won't regret it.

W. :D

Foster Clan Aug 3rd 2005 6:44 am

Well it hasn't been the best decision I have ever made. In fact it's probably been one of the worst (especially financially). However I am glad I have done it because although I have had to come half way round the world to realise it, and it has cost me a fortune in the process, I have learned a lot about myself and what is important to me. I was never not going to do it. But it has been the toughest time of my life.
Joanne

Mrs Rossifumi

aussie73 Aug 3rd 2005 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Well it hasn't been the best decision I have ever made. In fact it's probably been one of the worst (especially financially). However I am glad I have done it because although I have had to come half way round the world to realise it, and it has cost me a fortune in the process, I have learned a lot about myself and what is important to me. I was never not going to do it. But it has been the toughest time of my life.
Joanne

Why was it such a big mistake apart from the financial cost? what things don't you like about OZ or Adelaide.

salonit Aug 3rd 2005 9:40 am

Mrs Rossifumi

best decision we ever made!! even with all the ups and downs and sudden trips back home because my Dad just passed away - Still love it and feel lucky to be able to live here ( been here 9 months!)
Saloni