British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Can i ask for your honest opinions & thoughts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-i-ask-your-honest-opinions-thoughts-317441/)

rossifumi Aug 1st 2005 4:58 pm

Can i ask for your honest opinions & thoughts

To all of you out there who have your visas already.
Can you honestly say, hand on heart, it was the best descision you made. Only asking because last night reality set in........AND I WAS SCARED!!!!
Lying there in bed which when tiredness sets in is probably the worst time of the day anyway everything gets magnified!. Thinking about all the things we must do and make sure are in place, sell this, do that, SNAKES!!!! SPIDERS!!!
Which I'm not even afraid of anyway. What am I going to tell Rich in the morning...'I really don't want to go!!' He'll go ballistic!
Then morning came, clearish head, back to normal now. Really like to hear about your pre emmigration fears and then your post emmigration experiences, were your fears warranted at all?

Lynn :scared: :scared:
Mrs Rossifumi

serdwin Aug 1st 2005 5:02 pm

Re: Can i ask for your honest opinions & thoughts

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Can you honestly say, hand on heart, it was the best descision you made. Only asking because last night reality set in........AND I WAS SCARED!!!!
Lying there in bed which when tiredness sets in is probably the worst time of the day anyway everything gets magnified!. Thinking about all the things we must do and make sure are in place, sell this, do that, SNAKES!!!! SPIDERS!!!
Which I'm not even afraid of anyway. What am I going to tell Rich in the morning...'I really don't want to go!!' He'll go ballistic!
Then morning came, clearish head, back to normal now. Really like to hear about your pre emmigration fears and then your post emmigration experiences, were your fears warranted at all?

Mrs Rossifumi

Don't have a visa yet but planning to immigrate to Oz....

Treat this as a life adventure and do not be afraid.... :)

Hutch Aug 1st 2005 5:04 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy fear I guess, because it is, ultimately, a leap of faith. That said, wouldn't life be boring if we never took a chance...

Centurion Aug 1st 2005 5:13 pm

Welcome to the Rollercoaster of Emotions that is emmigration it seems :)

We're only at the stage of the month before we leave and there is so much to do. When we thought of moving we then had to worry about skills assesments. Once we got that then there was the visa application, then the medicals to fret over, followed by the wait till the visa was firmly put in our passports. Family to tell, movers to organise, house and other things to sell. Bank accounts, the exchange rate, property.

The list is frankly neverending and just when you think - phew thats that sorted - something else will come over the horizon to worry about. Emmigration we have decided is an enormous step and full of ups and downs even before we moved!

Will it be worth it ? Yes - we think so but only because we are not particularly under any illusions. We are becoming immigrants in a country which is the hardest thing to do, leaving all our family behind.

We're lucky in so far as we've been back to Australia 3 times this year, my wife has family there and we've friends there already, but we do have moments when we're completely scared. But it is the right thing for us to do - we've no doubt when we search our hearts.

I reckon you would be hard pushed to find anyone here that does not have the odd moment of panic and Oh My Life! what have I done. What we are all doing is really one the biggest things you can ever do.

So - I guess really your not alone and I'm afraid the front seat of the rollercoaster has been taken! :cool: :D

elfin Aug 1st 2005 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy fear I guess, because it is, ultimately, a leap of faith. That said, wouldn't life be boring if we never took a chance...

Hi,
I felt exactly the same I was all over the place and my hubby (bless him) was and still is fantastic.
But guess what, now we can't sell the house (see "Took house off market" thread) I really feel stressed that we can't go and it has made me realise that if we had not been given this chance I would be gutted, so I now see emigrating as a fantastic opportunity that others would give their left arm for.
My advice relax and enjoy the chance of a lifetime.
Love and light
Elfinx

Bordy Aug 1st 2005 5:21 pm

Well I can say hand on heart its the best move we have ever made.
Been here six years now & it just gets better & better.
I'd say the first 18 months to two years is no plain sailing, finding rented accomodation then possibly a place to buy, schools for the kids, new car, new job etc etc.
But get past all that & its great.

fraser Aug 1st 2005 5:42 pm

It's a big move no two ways about it so nerves are bound to play a part.

We have the shippers coming Friday and I still can't face starting to sort out the house :rolleyes:

teach Aug 1st 2005 5:51 pm

Mrs Rossifumi

Hi Lynn,
I think that this must be quite normal as I too woke up at 3am and thought OMG. Luckily the thoughts didn't last long and I am back to thinking 'how much longer'?
I'm sure this is all part of the process, best wishes to you,
Sarah

karenjc Aug 1st 2005 5:52 pm

I guess it would not be normal if you did not have the jitters, i like many have thought are we doing the right thing, but you overcome this and now its killing us that we can't get over there right now. It's all swings and roundabouts on the emigration ride.

darkless Aug 1st 2005 5:58 pm

Mrs Rossifumi

Hi,

I have been here a little over 6 months and I can honestly say that I am really enjoying life out here. Now that maybe because all fo our circumstances have 'dropped into place' which have helped us settle more (e.g. solf UK house and bought an OZ house prior to moving out, step sone settled into school, wife has managed to get a full time teaching job after 14 weeks of being eligible to teach, I am working for same UK but in OZ, etc)

What I can say is that the 2 weeks prior to out departure from the UK were the second worst two weeks of my life (worst when my father died). I felt physically sick for the last week and on the last 3 days if someone had offered me a button to put everythign back as it was, I would have taken it, even though I am not usually someone who lets sentimental stuff both them.

What I can say though is that once you get to the airport things get easier (especially with a couple of beers). The flight is long and you may have the odd moment, but when you get to OZ, you will have SO much to do, whether it be exploring the many glorious beaches or lookign for a house (rent or buy), that your mind will be taken away from what you miss.

Once you have made a few friends and have gotten used to your new surroundings, all being well you will being to feel like it is your home.

As I say we are only 6 months in and accoriding to the books this is when we should start to feel homesick - however at the moment all is good and we don't - hopefully this feeling will continue

D

Margie Aug 1st 2005 6:20 pm

Mrs Rossifumi

Hello, I'm scared too!!! :scared:

House sold, jobs resigned, cars sold and goodbye party held! Flights booked for 12.8.05. packing up and thinking OH MY GOD!!! I can't do this.

Cat goes to new home in an hours time and girls upset- Why are we doing this?

Sun, outdoor life, clean friendly place, new friends, new adventures and to settle a long wanderlust!! Worst case we come home in a few years!

Am I convincing you or trying to convince myself?

Think this is really normal reaction, having read a few posts in the same vein.

Lets go for it!!! Perth here I come!

Margie :)

bridiej Aug 1st 2005 6:48 pm

Dont worry, I've been pooing bricks a bit lately too, I think it's natural.

At least, I hope so.... :scared:

ACE Aug 1st 2005 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi,

.....step son settled into school, wife has managed to get a full time teaching job after 14 weeks of being eligible to teach, I am working for same UK but in OZ, etc)

D

Hi Dave,
Brilliant news! I have sent you a PM

ACE:-)

jond Aug 1st 2005 8:38 pm

Mrs Rossifumi

Hi we have our Visas, house on the market etc. I have more family in OZ than the UK, 2 Sisters, BILs, nieces & Nephews and having been out there quite a few times we know a few people. But I am still s**t scared my Wife is a lot calmer about it than me and she will be leaving a large family over here. I think that if you are not scared then there must be something wrong with you.

Be calm and chill out and it will all work out for the best.

Good luck.

John & Julie

Sue2 Aug 1st 2005 9:22 pm

Mrs Rossifumi

:D Isn't it mad how your mind does overtime when lying in bed. I think its totally natural to feel this way...I know we have. The one thing that I have found is that since we've had our visas granted and "THANK GOD" the house has sold and gone, I've had no wobbly moments at all. Just really looking forward to the whole experience.

All the very best :)

Sue