Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a family of 4 survive on a Bricklayers wage??

Can a family of 4 survive on a Bricklayers wage??

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:42 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a family of 4 survive on a Bricklayers wage??

Originally Posted by philnorris
I know this wasnt directed at me but can kind of answer, I used to sub contract here in the UK and used to charge £170 a day close to home for about 10 hours a day. But if your willing to go anywhere south of Leeds I would say the average is about £230 a day for chippies. My Dad has just come out of retirement as an agency has offered him £300 a day.
thanks for that.Sounds tempting to head back.Been here 18 years and getting itchy feet.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

But if your willing to go anywhere south of Leeds I would say the average is about £230 a day for chippies. My Dad has just come out of retirement as an agency has offered him £300 a day.[/QUOTE]

That is a exceptionally good wage.My husband is a chippie with many chippie mates. Very busy but £200 a day (8 - 4.30pm). Fellow chippies have talked about putting up their price but people are not willing to pay it.We live 50 miles out of London so very south of Leeds.Is your Dad working on commercial or residental ?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:15 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reading fan
But if your willing to go anywhere south of Leeds I would say the average is about £230 a day for chippies. My Dad has just come out of retirement as an agency has offered him £300 a day.

That is a exceptionally good wage.My husband is a chippie with many chippie mates. Very busy but £200 a day (8 - 4.30pm). Fellow chippies have talked about putting up their price but people are not willing to pay it.We live 50 miles out of London so very south of Leeds.Is your Dad working on commercial or residental ?[/QUOTE]
Even 200 a day is good going compared to here_
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Commercial, shopfitting, fit outs etc etc.

If I was going back to it now I would be asking for £200 a day minimum for 10 - 12 hours, but would expect them to pay part of my accomodation. Plus if your going for higher rates most exepect you to work weekends.

I was on £170 a day about 4-5 years ago working about 100 miles from home. There are decent rates out there but you have to find them, I never see them advertised its always word of mouth.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukecadet
thanks for that.Sounds tempting to head back.Been here 18 years and getting itchy feet.
Well in my opinion the construction industry is dying out here for the time being anyway. There are lots of half built housing estates around, no many shops being fitted out etc.
I think it is ok 'at the moment' but give it another few months and we will start to see contract work dry up.

I flip between IT and Joinery, I have never had trouble finding a contract in IT in the last 10 years, until now. There is nothing about, there isn't even any construction work about close to home that is paying a decent rate, and I dont want to work away from home any more.