Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Old May 1st 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Originally Posted by theli
I've noticed that too. There's an increasing amount of Canuckers doing either Law or Med down here. Yup, I did the JD program at Bond. Are you a ex Bondie too?
No but I have met plenty who went there. It's getting difficult to return. Are you working on a 457?
Old May 1st 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Victoria, Canada - Robina, Gold Coast - North Melbourne
theli is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, I'm on a 573 because I still need to complete my PLT (sort of like Canadian articles) to get admitted. Where 'bouts are you from in Cda?
Old May 1st 2010, 9:22 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Yes a Chinese can fit in Tasmania but l don't know if all 1 billion could
Old May 1st 2010, 9:25 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Theres lots of Chinese living all over OZ these days , there has been Chinese since the 1850's gold rush and they are one of the largest ethnic groups in australia. Theres a small Chinese community in Hobart and some Chinese students. Although tasmania is probably the least multi cultural state in Australia most people are friendly.
I think it was only until 1975 (35 years ago) that the Chinese exclusion act was removed in Australia.

Australia should apologise for such a shameful act of bigotry and racism.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:40 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Hi there I am in Tasmania, we are a multi cultural family and never had a problem here. Moonah (Hobart) has a wonderful little market with great stalls for the asian population,
as well as the Hhomgs (Laos) in Salamanca Market. The same applies for Launceston! Enjoy your time here Susie
Thanks glad to hear that from a Chinese (I suppose?) in Hobart
Old May 1st 2010, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wowoweee
I think it was only until 1975 (35 years ago) that the Chinese exclusion act was removed in Australia.

"Chinese exclusion act" wasn't that the USA?

I guess you mean the white Australia policy which was obviously not just aimed at Chinese. It was all but abandoned in the late 60's. The cleanup in the 70's was just formality. It was very racist and I guess of its time. Australia formally became multicultural in roughly 1972. Interestingly some historians say the main drivers of the policy were labour unions who did it to protect the Australian labour force from being undercut by the cheap asian workers who had flocked to Australia so it was based in commerce rather than race. Not sure this is true as haven't read enough about it.

I think Australia has now apologised in deed rather than word as Chinese are now our largest immigrant group. We have walked the talk.

Obviously both countries still have racist people, just as some Chinese people are racist towards black people, Indians and Japanese for example, some Australians are racist as well. But on the whole we have a lot of nationalities living in harmony.

Last edited by fish.01; May 1st 2010 at 9:57 am.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Nah, I'm on a 573 because I still need to complete my PLT (sort of like Canadian articles) to get admitted. Where 'bouts are you from in Cda?
T.O.

So plan is to get the citizenship eventually?
Old May 1st 2010, 4:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

The Chinese Exclusion Act was in the USA, not Australia:
The Chinese Exclusion Act was a United States federal law signed into law by Chester A. Arthur on May 8, 1882, following revisions made in 1880 to the Burlingame Treaty of 1868. Those revisions allowed the U.S. to suspend immigration, and Congress subsequently acted quickly to implement the suspension of Chinese immigration, a ban that was intended to last 10 years.
Source.

I don't see why Australia should apologies for an American policy.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:56 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l think America also had a similar policy but it was removed alot earlier, yes it was racist but in those days during the gold rush and colonial days they wanted to keep Australia a British colony and a British society and they were affraid becasue there were such large numbers of Chinese people and so many coming they would change that. The policy is history now and Chinese are now the largest immigrant group coming to Australia. The white Australia policy removed in the 1970s was applyed to all non white people not just Chinese, now l think around 70% of all immigrants are non-white obvioulsy the immigration policy is no longer racist. Australia wasn't the only country to have a racsit immigration policy in its past quite a few countries did.

Last edited by mohogony; May 1st 2010 at 9:03 pm.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Victoria, Canada - Robina, Gold Coast - North Melbourne
theli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
T.O.

So plan is to get the citizenship eventually?
To be honest, I'm content with just having full working rights as I don't really have strong ties to the country yet. But then again, who knows five years time I might change my mind about this. Are you an Aus citizen now?
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

To be honest, I'm content with just having full working rights as I don't really have strong ties to the country yet. But then again, who knows five years time I might change my mind about this. Are you an Aus citizen now?
Yeah I made the jump recently. I figured I couldn't really get the same lifestyle/financial balance back home, so might as well do it.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Hey.... Good to come across some Malaysians (or ex.) over here. i was originally from KL. Been in Perth 2.5 years. I love this place but we have got to be honest to ourselves. We are different, physically, from forummers that are migrating from the UK and other parts of Europe. Racism still exist and that is the fact!! I was called a "Silly Asian" once in CBD for being in the way of a cyclist while walking along the 5 foot walkways meant for padestrians. I could have sweared back at the bloke but decided that it is no point... The d!ckhead was probably still half drunk or high on drugs. I have also got to admit that there are lots of friendly Australians around ... who will accept you for who you are IF you are willing to integrate.

Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your little advanture!
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hey.... Good to come across some Malaysians (or ex.) over here. i was originally from KL. Been in Perth 2.5 years. I love this place but we have got to be honest to ourselves. We are different, physically, from forummers that are migrating from the UK and other parts of Europe. Racism still exist and that is the fact!! I was called a "Silly Asian" once in CBD for being in the way of a cyclist while walking along the 5 foot walkways meant for padestrians. I could have sweared back at the bloke but decided that it is no point... The d!ckhead was probably still half drunk or high on drugs. I have also got to admit that there are lots of friendly Australians around ... who will accept you for who you are IF you are willing to integrate.

Yes not saying anything back is the smart thing to do as if someone is drunk or on drugs they can turn violent. l wouldn't take it seriously. Everyone regardless of race gets sworn at and verbally abused and insulted by drunks and idiots on the steets now and again.
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've a Malaysian friend who moved to Willeton in January. PM me if you want to get in touch, especially if you play tennis.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been game to ask this question before, but seeing as I have your and the OP's attention, What would be the biggest hurdle or issue in intergrating ? . From where I sit in very multicultural Moreland in Melbourne, it seems that SE Asians and Chinese seem to fit in quite easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.