Reload this Page >

Can aussies make a decent curry?

Can aussies make a decent curry?

Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:31 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mattbutt
You're all talking crap about Poms not knowing a decent curry,

I think you will find that the vast majority of curry houses, tandoori's etc are quite often run by genuine bonafide indians, now I know that there are a few dishes that are made for the Brit market but if you dig out a decent curry house you are going to get genuine indian food albeit made in the UK.

Ive eaten curry in many places all around the world and im pretty sure 'British' Indian food is up there with the best of them

End of rant...
It all comes down to your definition of 'decent'.

The indian restaurants run by 'genuine bonafide indians' are often run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis (nothing wrong with that btw). Yes you will find some good genuine Indian food in Britain, but I think the major difference (with NZ anyway), is that it's popularity in Britain is it's own worst enemy.

I mean that because it's so popular you get the full range of quality - from grotty takeaways, to first class restaurants.

I've eaten Indian in various parts of India, but I haven't eaten Balti in Baltistan or the various dishes from Pakistan or Bangladesh. So it's impossible to comment.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but the best curries (ie most like the top notch restaurants I ate in India) I've had in the UK were all in Scotland. Not sure what that means - especially as I haven't had curries everywhere in the UK. There's probably as much difference between 'Indian' food in different parts of the UK as there is between UK and Oz (or Pakistan, NZ, Malaysia, Baltistan) etc etc

But then my definition of a 'decent curry' will be different to other people's. I have a friend who says she loves Indian - but then orders the EXACT same dish every time, and doesn't like any of the others. what a waste!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:40 am
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can aussies make a decent curry?

Originally posted by Trevglas
The one thing I miss about living in the UK is being able to get a decent vindaloo, madras, rogan josh etc after a few beers. Try as I may, I havent found a half-decent curry house yet!

I now firmly believe aussies cannot make curry!

Maybe its due to the very small numbers of migrants from the sub-continent here.

DIMIA should definitely put curry chefs on the Skilled Occupations list, or even the Distinguished Talent list

Anyone else noticed this serious deficiency?
OK .. I am an Indian, currently in the US. Not been to UK or Oz yet ...hoping to soon though. I cannot tell you where to find good curry houses, but if you are at all inclined to give it a try yourself, there's a ton of good recipies for all things curry @ http://sify.com/food/ I use it a lot myself.

Keyur
Old Mar 25th 2004, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

For those still hankering!!

http://www.indolink.com/displayArtic...d=032404073057

British newspapers reported March 24 that massive levels of potentially deadly food colorings have been found in that nation’s favorite dish - chicken tikka masala.

More than half the chicken tikka masala meals served in South Asian restaurants in Britain are feared to contain illegal amounts of red dye.

The colorings have been linked to hyperactivity in children, asthma and even cancer.

The frightening discovery was made by Trading Standards officers in Surrey who decided to test random samples across the UK.

Officers ordered the distinctive bright red dish from 102 curry houses and sent them to an independent laboratory for testing. From the results, they estimate around 57 per cent of Indian restaurants in the UK use "illegal and potentially dangerous" amounts of dye. One restaurant in Woking, Surrey, used four times the recommended maximum.

Only 44 curry houses of those tested stays within legal limits.

Phil Thomas, of the Trading Standards Institute, said: "We have evidence to suggest this is a national problem, not just specific to Surrey.

"We are urging trading standards services across the UK to work with Indian restaurants in their area to ensure the amount of colorants used is within the legal limits." The use of three colorants - Tartrazine (E102), Sunset Yellow (E110) and Ponceau 4R (E124) - caused particular concern.

Tartrazine, made from coal tar, is thought hazardous to asthmatics and anyone allergic to aspirin.

SUNSET Yellow has been linked with chromosome damage, kidney tumors, abdominal pain, hives, nausea and vomiting. Ponceau 4R is believed to cause cancer in animals.

Tartrazine and Sunset Yellow are banned in Norway and Finland, while Sunset Yellow is also illegal in Austria, and Ponceau 4R is prohibited in the US and Norway.

The Hyperactive Children's Support Group believes that all three chemicals are linked to hyperactivity in children. They can also be dangerous if taken excessively over a prolonged period.

Surrey Trading Standards plan to test every Indian restaurant and set up a "curry club" with those whose food meets the regulations.

But yesterday, experts warned that far more than 57 per cent of Indian restaurants could be using dangerous levels of the colorants.

Colleen Grove, editor of Masala Magazine, said: "As you go further north, I would expect the figure to be even higher, in places such as Newcastle, Bradford and Glasgow.

"In Glasgow, 90 per cent of the restaurants would be using an awful lot of coloring - perhaps it's just expectations from the public."

Celebrity chef James Martin, of Ready, Steady, Cook, agreed, saying: "It is only in the UK where we do these chicken masalas and put these colorings in.

"The perception is that red means hot, but it doesn't alter the taste, it doesn't alter the heat - it's purely the color, it's for the English palate. "In the majority of places, if you did make it the way it should be made, the customer would probably send it back." Natural chicken tikka masala should be a gentle orange coloured by turmeric, saffron and paprika.

Chicken tikka masala is supposed to have been invented in London in the 60s or early 70s when a British diner asked for gravy with his dry chicken tikka dish. The obliging chef grabbed a can of Campbell's tomato soup, threw in some cream and a few spices - masala - and poured it over the chicken.

Now 23 million portions of the gentle curry, called "Britain's true national dish" by then Foreign Secretary Robin Cook in 2001, are sold in Indian restaurants every year. It has iconic status in popular culture, vying with fish and chips in the nation's affections, but it bears little relation to the authentic Indian dish.

Hajra Makda, editor of Masala magazine which serves the Indian restaurant trade, said there have been earlier problems with additives in Indian cuisine and that consumers and restaurants need to be told about color dangers.

"It is good it is out in the open," she said.

"I don't think the over-coloring is deliberate. The problem is that it is too easy to add a couple more drops (of color)."

Jehangir Haque, proprietor of an Indian restaurant in Fetcham, Surrey, said that on one occasion he had been forced by a customer to bring out bottles of spices and coloring from his kitchen to explain why his pilau rice was yellow rather than multi-colored. He said: "The perception is that if you don't put coloring in the customer will think that it isn't the original chicken tikka masala."

Chad Rahman, of St Albans, the National Curry Chef of the Year 2002 and 2003, said the main reason so many restaurants used coloring agents was because customers expected the dish to be that color and would complain if it was not.

He said: "I'm staggered that so many are using these colorings at these levels ... there is no need to do so as regards the taste of the food, it is purely for aesthetic reasons.

"The reason why these restaurants do it is because the customer will say: 'This is not a chicken tikka masala, it's not bright red,' and the restaurants fear they will lose trade ... a lot of people eat with their eyes.

"If consumers could become more aware of this, it would save restaurants feeling they have to add the dye and be better for the health of the customer."

Mr Rahman, who is executive chef for development of food at the Mumtaj restaurant in St Albans, Hertfordshire, said ingredients such as turmeric, saffron and paprika provided enough color and were natural.

OzTennis
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:11 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well a good curry always gives me a good 'high'.

I thought it was the spices - but's probably all those artificial nasties they put in it.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
well a good curry always gives me a good 'high'.

I thought it was the spices - but's probably all those artificial nasties they put in it.
Maybe it needs to be re-branded 'Chicken Tikka Chernobyl' or something like that.

It's funny how they say in the article that if the Indians (or Bangladeshi's or Pakistani's or whoever) were to give the Brits the genuine article they wouldn't like it!

I always remember a friend who when we were away with tennis teams would say 'right, tonight I'm taking you all for a decent curry. Put the toilet rolls in the fridge'.

OzTennis
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi guys

Ghee...well I guess like just about everything, it all comes down to moderation. Ancient Indian Ayurvedic texts all recommend the use of Ghee for many reasons. My yoga guru absolutely swears by it...but then his wife is an ayurvedic practitioner and has been for the last 30 years...nothing wrong with them!

http://www.indiaoz.com.au/health/ayu...ood_ghee.shtml

So I guess if taken in moderation, you won't be having a coronary anytime soon!

BTW, we have yet to find a decent curry house here either Good job hubby can cook em!!

love sophia xxx
Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
I haven't found a decent curry here either ( real Asian (North Indian) curry , or British type curry)

Is this "cooking with expats" or something.

This is what I usually do ( fish can be substituted for meat - I don't eat meat)

Easy Prawn/fish curry:
small amount of olive oil in a big/deep frying pan .. lightly fry some onions, French shallots and then add fresh fish pieces... don't overcook
Add to that one tin of Patak's Rogan josh, masala .. whatever your preference is .

Add to that some full cream, or milk .. and simmer.

Add chopped up fresh tomatoes
diced (cooked) potatoes cubes, then add fresh prawns and mushrooms .

simmer on a very low heat
add chopped fresh chives and add as much curry powder to taste, Basil, rosemary, turmeric and a couple of bay leaves
keep simmering

add some more chives and cream/milk as you go along ...

serve with a roti ( can be bought in a pack in the bread isle .. lightly fry the roti on a very hot heat (so that it blisters) with just a very small amount of olive oil) or chips (still can't find any decent Nanns, they all taste 'orrid)

freeze what you don't need .. ready for when you come back P*ssed from the pub , defrost in microwave and bung in a pan .. add more milk to it and curry powder to make it hotter. Add the whole contents of the fridge to it if you want.

cheers
Very nice recipe Ceri but I never lightly fry my onions. I always take great care with this part of the cooking to gently fry them until they caramlise. This takes a bit longer and you must keep an eye on them so they don't burn (this will give a bitter taste). I find this always makes such a difference to the curry.

PS I never freeze left overs - we have them for brekkie!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by OzTennis
For those still hankering!!

http://www.indolink.com/displayArtic...d=032404073057

British newspapers reported March 24 that massive levels of potentially deadly food colorings have been found in that nation’s favorite dish - chicken tikka masala.

OzTennis
maybe its the toxic colourants that taste so nice!

After all, decafeinated coffee: supposedly good for you but tastes bloody horrible: low fat yoghourt: tasteless, skimmed milk: Tasteless, alcohol-free beer? goes without saying: awful!

One of the most toxic fish on the planet? a delicacy in Japan
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:49 am
M e M b E r

gordon_flash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Trevglas
The one thing I miss about living in the UK is being able to get a decent vindaloo, madras, rogan josh etc after a few beers. Try as I may, I havent found a half-decent curry house yet!

I now firmly believe aussies cannot make curry!

Maybe its due to the very small numbers of migrants from the sub-continent here.

DIMIA should definitely put curry chefs on the Skilled Occupations list, or even the Distinguished Talent list

Anyone else noticed this serious deficiency?
Hey,

Just wait till I get to Oz. I'll invite you over for an authentic sampling of tangdi kebab, Dum Aloo and Biryaani.

Contrary to what most people think, the authentic curry can be a soothing gourmet fantasy from its fiery hot avataar.

Minimal spices isnt the right word but the right blend of spices can whip up passions.

Though I am not a chef by profession, I intend giving all these Pseudo curry houses a run for their money.

Gordon
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by gordon_flash
Hey,

Just wait till I get to Oz. I'll invite you over for an authentic sampling of tangdi kebab, Dum Aloo and Biryaani.

Contrary to what most people think, the authentic curry can be a soothing gourmet fantasy from its fiery hot avataar.

Minimal spices isnt the right word but the right blend of spices can whip up passions.

Though I am not a chef by profession, I intend giving all these Pseudo curry houses a run for their money.

Gordon

Please tell me you're coming to Perth. Does your sig reflect the results of your cooking ?

Personally I reckon I just can't get the taste of the right blend of fresh spices when I cook. I'm not after something fiery just that great mixture of flavours. <dopiazza mmmm.... drool>
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:34 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Try this mushroom curry.

3-4 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium sized onion , finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp tomato puree
8 oz mushrooms

1. Fry onions until lightly browned.
2. Lower heat and add garlic, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander and cumin. Stir and fry spices for 5 minutes, adding water.
3. Add salt, tomato puree and mushrooms. Stir until mixed.
4. Sprinkle 2 tbsp water and simmer, covered, for ten minutes.

Take less than 1/2hour to make and tastes yummy. (According to Jim, I hate mushrooms!)

Also, anybody know any decent spice shops? Coles don't have cumin seeds.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Also, anybody know any decent spice shops? Coles don't have cumin seeds.
White Pages

Yellow Pages
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
White Pages

Yellow Pages
There is an Indian shop up the road from work. There are plenty around the place. If they are run by Fijian Indians they might also stock Kava.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:49 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
White Pages

Yellow Pages
Already tried yellow pages, thank you. No spice shops listed for Brisbane. and Sydney's a bit for for me to travel BP!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Already tried yellow pages, thank you. No spice shops listed for Brisbane. and Sydney's a bit for for me to travel BP!
White pages:
Asian Food
Queensland
Metroplitian
Business - Government

Name & Location Contact More
Info Map

Asian Food Supermarket Thanh The
39 Railway Pde Darra 4076 (07) 3375 4641

Nguyen Asian Food
57 Corsair Ave Inala 4077 (07) 3372 4077

Indian & Asian Spices & Foods
510 Beaconsfield Tce Brighton 4017 (07) 3269 1426

Neptune Asian Food Company Pty Ltd
839 Boundary Rd Coopers Plains 4108 (07) 3373 8218

Hong Lan Asian Food Supply
56 Vulture St West End 4101 (07) 3844 4873

L.U.Z. Vimin Asian Food
19 Cooyar St Aspley 4034 (07) 3263 2427

Siu Chueng Asian Food Chinese Herbs & Acupuncture Centre
Oxley Plz Shop 6 Cook St Oxley 4075 (07) 3278 2838

Suzie Wong Asian Fast Food
190 Enoggera Rd Newmarket 4051 (07) 3356 3555

Australian Asian United Food Import Export Co
Blackwood Rd (cnr Croydon Rd) Woodridge 4114 (07) 3208 2744

Hung Lee Chinese & Asian Food
Brookside Shopng Cntr 62a Osborne Rd Mitchelton 4053 (07) 3355 3330

Family Happiness Asian Fast Food
Logan Hyperdome Bryants Rd Loganholme 4129 (07) 3209 9799

Mandarin Delight Asian Fast Food
259 Queen St Brisbane 4000 (07) 3221 8989

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.