Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can aussies make a decent curry?

Can aussies make a decent curry?

Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default my mates...

...can all make WELL nice curry - and they are aussie's. 2nd generation punjabi Aussie's that is

i think they use coconut, saffron (the yellow stuff) and leave it cooking for about 6 hours or something
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kong
Are you sure???? Thai food has a lot of coconut milk in it, which a very high in saturated fat and calories??

Currys are only bad if you eat creamy ones like Korma, tikka massala, ones like Bhuna and madras has little fat content. Especially if you use a restaurant that fries in veg oil, not butter ghee, as this is very bad for you. About 50% of curry houses I have asked use ghee and you can always ask them to cook yours in veg oil instead.
Those curries you listed are the typical items us poms are after and ghee is distasterous for the arteries. The Thai curries do have a lot of coconut milk but I like the stir fries that aren't greasy and that have plenty of veges. The thai salads are also excellent.

You rarely get Thai food as good as you get here in Britain.

As essex nobby points out the typical curry is Britain is just one part of Indian food in general. Most British curry houses dosh up mediocre fare. A good banana leaf curry is excellent (the curry is served on the leaf). Just up the road from here a Sri Lankan place serves an excellent Biriani.

Mrs DB I guess my point is most poms do not even know what a decent curry is, they just know the British Indian curry.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I used to work with a lot of hindu ladies and I have various recipes for curries. The amount of Ghee used is:scared: :scared: .
All very tasty for the occasional treat but they are eating that sort of thing EVERY day. Surely the deaths from heart problems in the asian (what british call asian, not the aussie asian) culture must be horrific.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

yeah - but i reckon the chilli is a killer too!
Apparently it is linked to stomach cancer ...at the very least stomach ulcers and bowel troubles.

So go for the mild sometimes kids! Not the phal!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:14 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

my mates and i go for a curry every tuesday. we have basically been making our way around the 65+ curry houses in brisbane, and i can safely say there are some GREAT curry houses here (and i'm comparing them to birmingham curries).

stay away from taj mahal in new farm, and bengal in woolloongabba (unless you like paying $10 for an all you can eat slop).

a night in india in toowong is still my pick of the places (we go back regularly), and sitar at new farm does a good curry, though the service is shithouse. also the punjabi palace in the west end.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 9 months and we still have a curry every Friday made with the same ingredients we used in UK:

Olive oil for frying
1 chopped onion
Tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 jar Pataks Madras or Vindaloo curry paste
1/2 kg meat

Only difference now is we use Kangaroo instead of chicken. (Only way I can eat the stuff!)
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I do the same one but chuck a tin of chick peas in too
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:45 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

You're all talking crap about Poms not knowing a decent curry,

I think you will find that the vast majority of curry houses, tandoori's etc are quite often run by genuine bonafide indians, now I know that there are a few dishes that are made for the Brit market but if you dig out a decent curry house you are going to get genuine indian food albeit made in the UK.

Ive eaten curry in many places all around the world and im pretty sure 'British' Indian food is up there with the best of them

End of rant...
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I haven't found a decent curry here either ( real Asian (North Indian) curry , or British type curry)

Is this "cooking with expats" or something.

This is what I usually do ( fish can be substituted for meat - I don't eat meat)

Easy Prawn/fish curry:
small amount of olive oil in a big/deep frying pan .. lightly fry some onions, French shallots and then add fresh fish pieces... don't overcook
Add to that one tin of Patak's Rogan josh, masala .. whatever your preference is .

Add to that some full cream, or milk .. and simmer.

Add chopped up fresh tomatoes
diced (cooked) potatoes cubes, then add fresh prawns and mushrooms .

simmer on a very low heat
add chopped fresh chives and add as much curry powder to taste, Basil, rosemary, turmeric and a couple of bay leaves
keep simmering

add some more chives and cream/milk as you go along ...

serve with a roti ( can be bought in a pack in the bread isle .. lightly fry the roti on a very hot heat (so that it blisters) with just a very small amount of olive oil) or chips (still can't find any decent Nanns, they all taste 'orrid)

freeze what you don't need .. ready for when you come back P*ssed from the pub , defrost in microwave and bung in a pan .. add more milk to it and curry powder to make it hotter. Add the whole contents of the fridge to it if you want.

cheers
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brisnick
bengal in woolloongabba (unless you like paying $10 for an all you can eat slop).
Is that the Bengal CurryHouse? We have one down in Wynnum (I think there are 2), the food is horrid, if thats what people judge whether australia has any good curryhouses on then its no wonder they complain! :scared:

I wouldnt feed their slops to the dog

Ceri, what do you think a good naan should taste like? I dont like rottis much & after having an indian friend anything other than homemade chippatis taste yuck to me .

I will happily make curry, of any description, even from scratch (ie not a jar), but I cant go without a nice naan bread, which means a trip to the takeaway anyway .
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:56 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

When we were here 3 years ago we could'nt find a really nice indian style curry (there were loads of great thai style curries though).

However....little ole Mount Gambier has been blessed since last year, when a genuine Indian restaurant opened up, run by a great indian-aussie chap who also happens to be a geologist, so hes great to chat with (i am a geo). Food is fantastic, just as good as back home. Most of the dishes are pretty mild though, even the ones they call hot (compared with home)....so i somtimes ask for a touch more chilli
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Ceri, what do you think a good naan should taste like? I dont like rottis much & after having an indian friend anything other than homemade chippatis taste yuck to me .

A good nann to me is when it has bubbles and has brown bits on it , soft inside , made in a real clay oven.. but not doughy ,like all the ones I've tasted here

A "decentish" curry house down near you- there's one in Morningside I used to go to.. bit on the expensive side though. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me .
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
A good nann to me is when it has bubbles and has brown bits on it , soft inside , made in a real clay oven.. but not doughy ,like all the ones I've tasted here

A "decentish" curry house down near you- there's one in Morningside I used to go to.. bit on the expensive side though. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me .
I cant stand the ones that are nothing more than a piece of flat shoe leather, I may as well buy some lebanese bread or something. For me, they have to be lovely & soft inside, yum! Doughy isnt good, but Id prefer that to some of the dry & tasteless ones I have eaten. I love the ones that are stuffed with stuff too, like spiced potato & vegetables. At least they stay moist.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:22 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brisnick
my mates and i go for a curry every tuesday. we have basically been making our way around the 65+ curry houses in brisbane...
If you don't mind a bit of a trek, try the Curry Bandit in Waterford for curry that is close to English curry houses (about 30 - 40 min drive from CBD). Not the poshest extablishment in the world - just a retail unit on a main road - but the food is excellent and very reasonably priced and it is BYO. Probably worth ringing to check they are still in business, curry houses in Brisbane seem to come and go a bit. Go to whitepages business name Curry Bandit, suburb Waterford.

When we lived down that way it always seemed busy and was usually full of Poms.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mattbutt
You're all talking crap about Poms not knowing a decent curry,

I think you will find that the vast majority of curry houses, tandoori's etc are quite often run by genuine bonafide indians, now I know that there are a few dishes that are made for the Brit market but if you dig out a decent curry house you are going to get genuine indian food albeit made in the UK.

Ive eaten curry in many places all around the world and im pretty sure 'British' Indian food is up there with the best of them

End of rant...
Have you eaten a curry in India? I have not and until then I am none the wiser. All I know is that the British Indian offers a limited range of what there is to Indian food. Sure it is better than what is on offer most places but it is not the holy grail of curries.

The average pom wants korma or madras with pilau rice poppadom and naan and think they are being adventurous when they try the vindy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.