Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Foxtel IQ1 & IQ2????

Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

macy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nice
Default Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Foxtel IQ1 & IQ2????

Hi there,

Im sure im being stupid as Testra have already explained this twice and i still dont get it!!! im having it fitted on monday...dont really want to call them again!! we already have foxtel and an HD tv, things have become very technical and by brain cant cope :/

Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Foxtel IQ1 & IQ2????

The second one has a higher IQ

Sorry, I'll get my coat
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

smoke_n_mirrors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Foxtel IQ1 & IQ2????

Originally Posted by macy1
Hi there,

Im sure im being stupid as Testra have already explained this twice and i still dont get it!!! im having it fitted on monday...dont really want to call them again!! we already have foxtel and an HD tv, things have become very technical and by brain cant cope :/

Thanks

FOXTEL iQ2 is equipped with both High Definition and Standard Definition tuners.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/pr...q2/default.htm

James
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

macy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nicemacy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by smoke_n_mirrors
FOXTEL iQ2 is equipped with both High Definition and Standard Definition tuners.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/pr...q2/default.htm

James
Okkkkkk, so if i already have a HD tv, is there any benefit it having IQ2 over IQ1, would i get more free channels with IQ2? or should i save my money and just go for the IQ1?

Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macy1
Okkkkkk, so if i already have a HD tv, is there any benefit it having IQ2 over IQ1, would i get more free channels with IQ2? or should i save my money and just go for the IQ1?

Thanks
I think with IQ2 you can record 2 progs at the same time as watching one. May have made that up though
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The IQ is Standard definiton only. 2 x tuners = record two programs at the same time.

The IQ2 is the HD version. Also record 2 progs. Larger hard disk for recordings.

If you have an HD tv, go for HD. Not free channels though.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

smoke_n_mirrors is an unknown quantity at this point

you get more channels with iq2 / hd version but not many of them

but you also pay more for them

if you have an hd (tv) digital box you can get some of the HD channels free

with the iq2 you will only get a handful of hd channels the rest will be the same as iq1, (non hd)

James
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smoke_n_mirrors
you get more channels with iq2 / hd version but not many of them

but you also pay more for them

if you have an hd (tv) digital box you can get some of the HD channels free

with the iq2 you will only get a handful of hd channels the rest will be the same as iq1, (non hd)

James
Phew, thanks people, im going to go with IQ1 then,,,,,,thanks for saving me some cash
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

As everyone else said you can record two programs at once with either IQ1 or IQ2. I believe the difference though comes in when you also want to watch TV at the same time.

So with IQ1 you can record 2 programs but if you want to watch anything it has to be one of the things you are recording, or have already recorded previously. In other words if you have 2 things taping you can't watch a different third thing that might be airing.

With IQ2 you can record 2 things but watch a third program that is airing (or also taped things).

So when you compare it like that the IQ1 can do two things at once the IQ2 can do 3, when it comes to live tv anyway.

http://hd.foxtel.com.au/blog/2008/01...foxtel-hd.html
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:45 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
As everyone else said you can record two programs at once with either IQ1 or IQ2. I believe the difference though comes in when you also want to watch TV at the same time.

So with IQ1 you can record 2 programs but if you want to watch anything it has to be one of the things you are recording, or have already recorded previously. In other words if you have 2 things taping you can't watch a different third thing that might be airing.

With IQ2 you can record 2 things but watch a third program that is airing (or also taped things).

So when you compare it like that the IQ1 can do two things at once the IQ2 can do 3, when it comes to live tv anyway.

Correct

Also as of 15th Nov there will be another 10 HD channels. And 20 SD channels but this is irrelevant to this argument.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

So it does! The Sky Hd box here in the can't do that and it drives me mad when the kids have their programs recording and we can't watch another live channel. A big reason to choose the IQ2.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

In addition to everything else has pointed out (so the most important things), the IQ2 box also looks way better than the standard IQ box.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed it looks very nice.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco
So it does! The Sky Hd box here in the can't do that and it drives me mad when the kids have their programs recording and we can't watch another live channel. A big reason to choose the IQ2.
The new ones do now - they are all the same bits of kit in both countries as we have them sitting in our garage doing nothing at the moment... the shame being that in the UK you buy them but in Aus you rent them.

And most non-terrestrial TV in the UK is via satellite and most non-terrestrial TV in Aus is via cable - so you cannot use your Sky+ box on a cable setting, as we found out.

What it was good for was stocking up the box with loads of the kids favourite programmes and then connecting it to the TV to replay them when we first got him. Helped them assimilate into society (eh?) slowly before Foxtel then showed us many of the same kids channels as the UK. Only the CBeebies presenter in Australia is a little bit more of a babe than the Sarah-Jane in the UK. As a hot blooded adult male that is....
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So if you don't actually own the Oz one, what happens if you upgrade the hard drive, will they get upset?

I've got a 640GB in my sky HD box which I could bring over, and put my old 320gb back in the sky box and leave it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.