Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can anyone tell me about climate in melbourne,

can anyone tell me about climate in melbourne,

Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future
Default can anyone tell me about climate in melbourne,

Hi
I've been researching melbourne and looking at the climate, it seems you dont get much sunshine there. Is this true does it always seem dark or is this just the way it looks on paper. I would be really grateful if anyone living there could tell me thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone tell me about climate in melbourne,

You are confusing it with Oldham.

Melbourne has four seasons in a day.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazynconfused
Hi
I've been researching melbourne and looking at the climate, it seems you dont get much sunshine there. Is this true does it always seem dark or is this just the way it looks on paper. I would be really grateful if anyone living there could tell me thanks.
What makes you think it's always dark? Check our www.bom.gov.au which will give you statistics on all cities you are looking at. Melbourne has seasons - but is far warmer and sunnier than the UK. Victoria also has much lighter spring/summer/autumn evenings than Queensland for example.
We have also been on strict water restrictions since we arrived (nearly three years ago) - so you can see from that - we do not get enough rain (which is not a good thing of course!).
Summer days can reach 42oC for a number of days and will then dip right down for a couple when the cool change comes in.
The bonus of having a 'winter' is that you can drive up and ski in the alpine regions!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:16 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Crow
What makes you think it's always dark? Check our www.bom.gov.au which will give you statistics on all cities you are looking at. Melbourne has seasons - but is far warmer and sunnier than the UK. Victoria also has much lighter spring/summer/autumn evenings than Queensland for example.
We have also been on strict water restrictions since we arrived (nearly three years ago) - so you can see from that - we do not get enough rain (which is not a good thing of course!).
Summer days can reach 42oC for a number of days and will then dip right down for a couple when the cool change comes in.
The bonus of having a 'winter' is that you can drive up and ski in the alpine regions!
that sounds more like the weather I'm after it must have been the web site I was on, I will try the site you gave me thanks

Last edited by crazynconfused; Nov 6th 2008 at 11:25 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Melbourne has the best weather in Australia.

-It has 4 seasons
-Winter is not extreme
-Summer is generally very nice, apart from the few heatwaves where it is maybe 40 for 3-4 days in a row
-It is very dry climate so isn't oppressive/humid in summer and not damp in winter (Sydney can be horribly humid)
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We went for a reccie last Xmas and would say it is varied. It rained for the first 6 days and then reached 42 degrees on New Years day. When it rained it was heavy but seemed to not last long. I would agree that it is a dry heat and as such, you don't get that bloody oppresive atmosphere you do here after a 3 day 'heatwave'. In fact we only had a fan in our apartment and were able to sleep easily without air con. Personally I like the climate as the thought of sun most days bores the heck out of me as I prefer a bit of variety. I would say it is not the place to go if you want a dry and sunny climate for most of the year.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:18 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We went for a reccie last Xmas and would say it is varied. It rained for the first 6 days and then reached 42 degrees on New Years day. When it rained it was heavy but seemed to not last long. I would agree that it is a dry heat and as such, you don't get that bloody oppresive atmosphere you do here after a 3 day 'heatwave'. In fact we only had a fan in our apartment and were able to sleep easily without air con. Personally I like the climate as the thought of sun most days bores the heck out of me as I prefer a bit of variety. I would say it is not the place to go if you want a dry and sunny climate for most of the year.
thanks for your info.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:20 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by sr71
I think Melbourne has the best weather in Australia.

-It has 4 seasons
-Winter is not extreme
-Summer is generally very nice, apart from the few heatwaves where it is maybe 40 for 3-4 days in a row
-It is very dry climate so isn't oppressive/humid in summer and not damp in winter (Sydney can be horribly humid)
Does it get really dull and grey like in the uk?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazynconfused
Does it get really dull and grey like in the uk?
No, I think days like that are probably in the single digits per year. I can't really recall and days with weather as grey as the UK.

Actually if I recall correctly there is a very valid scientific reason for the greyness in the UK and it's a certain type of cloud that the UK is prone to because of it's geography, one that you rarely see in Melbourne.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:32 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by sr71
No, I think days like that are probably in the single digits per year. I can't really recall and days with weather as grey as the UK.

Actually if I recall correctly there is a very valid scientific reason for the greyness in the UK and it's a certain type of cloud that the UK is prone to because of it's geography, one that you rarely see in Melbourne.
Thats good because there is nothing worse than those grey uk clouds
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Summers happen every year. Typically temperatures are in the 20s and 30s with a few really hot days. It's typically NOT humid and it usually cools off over night (which is good for sleeping).

Autumn is the best season. Temperatures are again typically in the 20s but without the really hot days.

Winter is cool but not really cold. Daytime temps are in the teens and overnight temps can get down to zero. You can get frost in some areas (e.g. Dandenongs) whereas the Mornington Peninsula is considered frost free.

Spring is changeable. Some days are warm like autumn while others are cool like winter. Towards the end of spring you may get some summer-like days. This is the season with the most rain.

Don't worry about the 4 seasons in 1 day. It's not a bad thing. In summer it's usually a cool change after a stinking hot day and in the other seasons it's usually a sunny afternoon after an overcast morning. Also it doesn't happen every day.

The only big surprises are the size of some of the changes (i.e. it can drop 20 degrees in a couple of hours) and that it's generally cool at night even in summer (so it's rare to sleep without your doona/duvet).

Personally I think the weather here is perfect. Not too cold, generally not too hot, generally not humid and the seasons are just the right length. We could do with a bit more rain.

Not really climate but related. In late spring and early summer you get a lot of flies. They are really annoying. Not a lot you can do about them so I would suggest getting a fly net for your hat.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 7th 2008 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I like the weather in Melbourne it suits us down to the ground. Four seasons so never bored, spring and autumn are my favourite. Clouds are welcome when its very hot. We get less rainfall here than other places hence our water restrictions.

Never wear a coat unless had to get a train in winter.

Frosty days bring beautiful sunny days in winter.

Can dress up here without being sticky and sweaty and feeling like a shower every half hour.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

kkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant future

Weather in Melbourne is great.
It is changeable, and it can be sunny, rainy, cool and warm all in one day, but I like the variety.
The summers are warm, and you can plan for the BBQ way in advance with some confidence!
If like me you like good weather, but dont want sunshine everyday, Melbourne is for you.
For me it's the best of both worlds.
You have a much needed rest bite from the heat in the winter, which isnt that cold. You need jumpers, but forget a big padded jacket.
If you love the heat and sunshine, you may be disapointed, but if you want a warm climate with seasonal changes then you cant go wrong.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:58 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Lizards are advised to seek options other than Melbourne, because very occasionally it can rain. Occasionally.

Rational human beings with depth of character at least equivalent to that of a teaspoon will find the climate possibly the best in Australia.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Lizards are advised to seek options other than Melbourne, because very occasionally it can rain. Occasionally.
Yesterday was the first day of 'proper' rain for ages and ages. The kids get so excited ('cause it's been so infrequent since we've been here) that they dance and run about in it until they are drenched to the skin Tis funny to see!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.