Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify this spider?

Wikiposts

Can anyone identify this spider?

Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone identify this spider?

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi all, found this one in the garage, dead, thank god!

Anyone know what it is, dont know what killed it Don't say a bigger one by the way the coin in the foreground is a british 5p coin for comparison.

It's the eyes that freak me out!

Chris
Everyone else has answered what it is. Don't worry too much about them, they are good to have around apparently as they eat the redbacks. If spiders really bother you then get a big carton of Mortein and go around and spray the outsides every 6 months and that will keep them at bay. Available at Bunnings in a big grey carton. Kills cockies, ants and other creepys too.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Everyone else has answered what it is. Don't worry too much about them, they are good to have around apparently as they eat the redbacks. If spiders really bother you then get a big carton of Mortein and go around and spray the outsides every 6 months and that will keep them at bay. Available at Bunnings in a big grey carton. Kills cockies, ants and other creepys too.
I'll make note of that, thanks!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I'll make note of that, thanks!
Just remember that the first couple of days after you do the treatment.....the walking wounded comes out of the woodwork en masse!

You might want to go away that weekend or something!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I have no idea how big a 5p coin is anymore....?!

It is probably only a small huntsman though, do a search for that pic of one on the loo roll if you want to see a proper spider
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We had one with a leg missing, got kind of fond if it and would see it in most rooms of the house, not seen it in a while actually.

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi all, found this one in the garage, dead, thank god!

Anyone know what it is, dont know what killed it Don't say a bigger one by the way the coin in the foreground is a british 5p coin for comparison.

It's the eyes that freak me out!

Chris
Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:10 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

glad you got it and not us!

Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Crikey, didn't realise it was a huntman & only a small one at that! I thought they had a longer body.

Kinda glad it was dead but then if they eat redbacks! think I'm starting to get a spider phobia

Chris

Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:12 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt's Huntsman Stories:

1) Had a largish one crawl out from under my drivers-side wing-mirror as I was bowling along the freeway one fine morning, window wide open ...

2) Had a big one on my shoulder just as I was leaving for an interview, reminder to check the jacket in the future ... thanks to wife for batting it off without telling me what she was batting ...

3) Had a HUGE one on a bowl in the kitchen, I thought it was a pattern until it moved.

I hate spiders but I think I building a size tolerance, I can happily watch one or two medium-sized beasties scuttle along the floor and not jump on the sofa like a big girl ...

Had a redback infestation in the garage too ... not any more, the daddy long-legs are back and that is a GOOD sign

I deal with the cane toads and the OH the spiders ... it's a fair swap.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:36 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use a 9 iron or a wood

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I deal with the cane toads
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:46 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
Do you use a 9 iron or a wood
Usually a 9 but sometimes need an 8 if the wind is against ... trying to get them to land in the chicken coop is fun. At least I don't have to worry about too much back-spin on landing.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:59 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
lol.. have seen them the size of a friggin dinner plate...
LOL...I didn't wanna tell em to look out for it's dad
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:03 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Speaking of the local wildlife, accidentally ran over my first snake yesterday - feeling quite guilty. Think it was a nasty-ish one though as it was black.....think they're normally of the venomous variety.
Wonder if it was a red belly black I love the fact it's got a name that's so obvious

I had some trouble trying to determine what a brown snake looks like
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
I had a big hairy one on the patio [spider that is]

I've found giving it a name makes it seem more friendly and I convince myself it's harmless

Mines called Harry the spider....like you say, it eats all the horrible cockies so I try not to kill it
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:41 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Matt's Huntsman Stories:

1) Had a largish one crawl out from under my drivers-side wing-mirror as I was bowling along the freeway one fine morning, window wide open ...

2) Had a big one on my shoulder just as I was leaving for an interview, reminder to check the jacket in the future ... thanks to wife for batting it off without telling me what she was batting ...

3) Had a HUGE one on a bowl in the kitchen, I thought it was a pattern until it moved.

I hate spiders but I think I building a size tolerance, I can happily watch one or two medium-sized beasties scuttle along the floor and not jump on the sofa like a big girl ...

Had a redback infestation in the garage too ... not any more, the daddy long-legs are back and that is a GOOD sign

I deal with the cane toads and the OH the spiders ... it's a fair swap.

Daddy Long Legs I am told are the deadliest spider in the world.. but harmless to humans, cos their fangs are piss weak...

Watched a episode of those 2 fellas, the gay one, and ginger haired fella, where they bust Myths.. try and dispute Daddy Long Legs as being dangerous...

turned out its a bit of a urban myth..

Dam good spider tho...

Also from previous poster, i wasnt aware huntsman ate redbacks.. in fact never seen the 2 together.

Steve
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:56 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
We had one with a leg missing, got kind of fond if it and would see it in most rooms of the house, not seen it in a while actually.
Same here - Harry the Huntsman - last time we saw him he only had 6 legs bless him. I was trying to scare my mum when she was over here by poking him with a stick to show her how 'unafraid' I was of spiders.........Jesus Christ I almost shit myself when I felt Harry touch it with one of his searching legs (felt more like he grabbed it!) I soon through the stick and ran

I now appreciate him from a greater distance.........still like him though

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Oct 21st 2007 at 11:02 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.