Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help with dog costs?

Can anyone help with dog costs?

Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Talking Can anyone help with dog costs?

Morning all,

I am brand spanking new here and I am hoping that you guys can give me a little help.

Me and the OH are now waiting to hear back from our visa application and I now need to start pricing up the dog for the move. We are looking to be in Sydney this time next year.

I know how much the Import permit is, I just need a rough idea on blood tests, crate, flights and quarantine.

Can anyone help?
Also am I right in believeing that the airline companys will not deal with me direct for flights and that I need to go through a company that specilise in this?

Ta Chelly
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can anyone help with dog costs?

Originally Posted by chelly77
Morning all,

I am brand spanking new here and I am hoping that you guys can give me a little help.

Me and the OH are now waiting to hear back from our visa application and I now need to start pricing up the dog for the move. We are looking to be in Sydney this time next year.

I know how much the Import permit is, I just need a rough idea on blood tests, crate, flights and quarantine.

Can anyone help?
Also am I right in believeing that the airline companys will not deal with me direct for flights and that I need to go through a company that specilise in this?

Ta Chelly
Hi Chelly

We are just doing this now, lots of threads on here to look back at to research etc, seems to be more expensive with just one dog, we are taking 4 and it's £4900 plus blood tests etc.

Our vet has just priced for bloods and it's a little over £110 per dog including the frontline as well (our vet is expensive).

If you are a way off yet, and vaccinations (yearly) are due have them do the vaccs but NOT the Lepto as this can affect the bloods in one of the tests.

Ring round a few exporters we are using www.overhills.co.uk there are lots of others you'll find info on here, such as Ryslip etc best thing is to ring around a few of them and go with the ones you 'feel' happiest with.

The AQIS has lots of information on what has to be done, step by step there is a large doc you can print off - but to be honest with going through an export company they do all the hard work and forms etc, and tell you when dogs need to go for bloods etc.

The crate and flight is all in the export price, the quarantine is at your expense pricec on the AQIS website.

Ours go early April and there hasn't been alot to do really, the exporter asked for sizex of the dogs to quote us, then sent us recently the permit to fill in which we filled in and returned to them, they then got a permit number and booked quarantine and flights for us. We don't have to do anything now until mid March when they have their bloods done, then they go down to the exporters about 3 days before.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Fab thank you for letting me know. I am trying to get a rough idea of pricing as the OH has told me that if its not going to be a lot more to take another dog we might get our little Clive a friend to go though Quarantine with rather than waiting till we get to OZ
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chelly77
Fab thank you for letting me know. I am trying to get a rough idea of pricing as the OH has told me that if its not going to be a lot more to take another dog we might get our little Clive a friend to go though Quarantine with rather than waiting till we get to OZ
no prob, give overhills a ring for a chat initially to get an idea - then research all the others, go with who you are happy with. we had 3 to take but I really wanted another puppy of breeding I wanted before we went so we had her as well, she's now 2 years as house took so long to sell LOL
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

We've had quotes from 3 companies to transport our black lab from Heathrow to Sydney. Quotes were from August 2008 so may differ slightly now.

PetAir UK: have silver or gold service Gold includes all bloodwork. Silver was £2386, gold was £3172
Ladyhaye - cost was £2972
Airpets Oceanic was £2553

Quotes usually include flight, travel box, vet sealing, import permit, airline handling etc but not vaccinations & blood tests.
Quarantine expect $800 aussie dollars
our vets charge £150 for a blood test fee
I think they also have to have various vaccinations, you might get a feel for how much these usually cost from your usual annual booster fees.

Price will vary according to size of dog, and if the dog has any special diet / meds you would have to supply it to the quarantine people. Do a search on the companies I have mentioned, I got the names as other people on this Forum have mentioned them as being good.

Link from Wendy should be www.overhill.co.uk
The one she listed doesn't work because of the s in it.

Last edited by Lisa and Martin; Feb 20th 2009 at 2:44 pm.