Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Marrysville

Camping in Marrysville

Old Dec 19th 2019, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Camping in Marrysville

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to do my first time ever camping.along with my wife and my 2 kids (9 & 4 yo)

I have google few camping sites
but I still have few questions and would appreciate experts advice.

My car is normal sedan ( not 4WD )

Which camping sites are good for that in Marrysville? I dont mind going in unpaved roads.

What do I need to prepare beside ( Tent, covers for the night, food, matches for the camp fire)?

Can I do BBQ? can I bring my own portable BBQ?

any advice for safety ?

any other advice?

Old Dec 19th 2019, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping in Marrysville

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi Everyone,

I am excited to do my first time ever camping.along with my wife and my 2 kids (9 & 4 yo)

Which camping sites are good for that in Marrysville? I dont mind going in unpaved roads.

What do I need to prepare beside ( Tent, covers for the night, food, matches for the camp fire)?

any advice for safety ?

any other advice?
Can't give you much advice having never been camping, but.......

I assume you mean Marysville,near Melbourne?

Check very carefully what the regulations are at the time you go regarding lighting fires and using a BBQ. There is a huge danger of fire in areas like that at present, and many areas have restrictions and fire bans.
https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-...ns-and-ratings

Old Dec 19th 2019, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Thanks.,

but I plan to go on Christmas holiday
hope by then the weather is better
Old Dec 19th 2019, 3:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

any advice for safety ?

any other advice?
Hi. Camping is a wonderful family activity, I've always loved it. In the height of the bushfire season I'd be very careful about where I camped, for example it wouldn't be in the middle of a remote heavily forested area. I don't know the particular area you're going to, but some things to be aware of are the same anywhere.
Familiarise yourself with any fire restrictions and emergency fire warnings.
Only camp in approved camping grounds
Take plenty of water
Have a comprehensive first aid kit
Sunblock and fly/mosquito repellent

Here are a couple of Victoria sites that will give you more information, as well as reading this page have a look around the rest of the website, especially the ones that links are provided for:
https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/visiting-...laces-to-visit
https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/visiting-.../before-you-go
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/get-int...fety-in-nature

I hope you have a wonderful time!
Old Dec 19th 2019, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice spouse of scouse
Old Dec 19th 2019, 4:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

any advice for safety ?

any other advice?

We are a long term camping family and really enjoy it

Take your own bbq but if their are local fire bans you may not be able to use a solid fuel bbq but gas should be okay. You won't be able to light fires at all

How much gear you need/want will take time to figure out. In the past we've taken too much stuff and on other occasions too little. I think we've got it about right now between the requirements of comfort and vehicle carrying capacity. We like to be comfortable while others are happy to keep it really basic. You'll probably need chairs, a table, maybe a gazebo (one that you can enclose with mesh sides is a bonus), some cooking and eating equipment, a kettle, some kind of entertainment kit (a Bluetooth speaker), gas, lighting, a portable fridge and/or eskies etc. If you're on a powered site, you'll need an extension cord. A trip to a 21st century Australian campsite is an eye-opening experience when you see what some people take camping!

Have fun
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Marysville a few weeks ago. It was actually very green, probably very different conditions to some years. But Summer is only now just getting started around Melbourne, 44C forecast tomorrow and therefore a total fire ban day.

I'm not sure about camping spots, but totally recommend a visit to Steavenson Falls (although I'd exepct it to be drying out a bit). We did a 10km loop walk from there. I'll say this...there was an abundance of snakes! From my rudimentary snake identifying skills I'd say mostly copperhead. So watch our for them!
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Amazulu I will be going on Christmas, hopefully no fire ban by then

Thanks bcworld for the warning, although I am not sure what to do if I see a snake !! I would probably leave everything take the kids and run away!
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'll say this...there was an abundance of snakes! From my rudimentary snake identifying skills I'd say mostly copperhead. So watch our for them!

That would not be for me. Can't even look at eels or worms.

Old Dec 19th 2019, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I find that staff in the camping equipment shops to be very helpful here and don’t try to force you to buy loads of stuff. I love looking round them too. Seems modern camping is very civilised these days with carpets, kitchens double beds etc......
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bcworld for the warning, although I am not sure what to do if I see a snake !! I would probably leave everything take the kids and run away!
Don't run! The usual advice on snake safety websites is to freeze, then walk away (or back away) slowly. Snakes don't hunt humans and they're quite timid, if they have an escape route they'll take it. Maybe have a bit of Google if you need more info. I'm a bit jealous, haven't been camping for ages.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 7:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be banking on it.