Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Europe!

Camping in Europe!

Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Camping in Europe!

Cor.. I'm so excited.
We have just decided to go travelling in Europe before we go... taking the car and tent to Greece to see my parents and stopping off in lots of lovely places on the way!
I have just been to Millets and bought some mummy sleeping bags, must think about liners etc. and all that other camping equipment. We're going to test the sleeping bags this weekend as we're going camping in Somerset.
Now we just have to book the ferry, plan the route etc. My parents used to do this, they had a big campervan, but we'll just have to slum it in a tent!
Oooh this is cool!!!!
A very excited Larissa x x
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Bring all of your camping gear with you as camping is BIG out here. Lots of people go camping around here, there is one place where you can actually pitch your tent on the beach - awesome or what!

We brought a tent and it got through customs fine, just clean it carefully.

Have fun!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Camping in Europe!

We are big on camping too and regularly camp around Europe, its FANTASTIC!! France has lovely sites that aren't too expensive, Italy can be a lot dearer but it is wonderful too. Germany is average priced but the sites are spotless - I could go on but you'll discover for yourself anyway. What a wonderful way to say 'goodbye' to Europe. Perhaps I can persuade Brian we should do it too....??
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh, cool!

We always go camping.

Well, if you pass Eastern Holland, let me know, we can meet up!
Oh, but only got 5 weeks left!!!!

Actually, we'll meet you in Perth anyway!

Have fun!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Brian & Lou
France has lovely sites that aren't too expensive,

Hi Lou
We've just bought a tent and are thinking of taking it to France. Can you recommend anywhere close to Calais as we're driving? Can't wait
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:35 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Bring all of your camping gear with you as camping is BIG out here. Lots of people go camping around here, there is one place where you can actually pitch your tent on the beach - awesome or what!

We brought a tent and it got through customs fine, just clean it carefully.

Have fun!

Dont bother bring any cookers etc that run on bottled gas. The fittings are completely different and weve really struggled to no avail to come up with alternatives. Looks like we have to chuck all our things that rely on bottled gas and start again. Oh well there's another shopping trip coming on
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Teddybex
Hi Lou
We've just bought a tent and are thinking of taking it to France. Can you recommend anywhere close to Calais as we're driving? Can't wait
Hi Teddybex,
Sorry but we haven't ever camped that far north, I prefer the Vendee which can be a bit of a run in the car. I do know a few sites there plus some over towards the German border, if you're interested?

Lou
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Brian & Lou
Hi Teddybex,
Sorry but we haven't ever camped that far north, I prefer the Vendee which can be a bit of a run in the car. I do know a few sites there plus some over towards the German border, if you're interested?

Lou
Thanks Lou, any info would be really appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 7:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I camped in Europe a lot in my youth before m'dear wife showed me there were better alternatives.

Italy, Portugal, Spain, Portugal, Greece: all excellent and v welcoming. Just roll up.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Teddybex
Hi Lou
If you can drive quite a bit further, the Bois de Bologne (sp?) near Paris is very good. However, I'm going back quite a few years. When we were kids my parents used to get as far away from Calais as possible before pitching a tent. Another lovely area is Alsace... not sure how many hours that would take.
Best wishes
Larissa
BTW Does anyone know of any good books that would have an up-to-date list of good campsites?
Old Jun 4th 2004, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just found this... think my parents used it a lot
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...461946-9595039
hope the link works
Old Jun 4th 2004, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Larissa
Just found this... think my parents used it a lot
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...461946-9595039
hope the link works

Thanks Larissa, that's great. Will have to get a copy
Old Jun 4th 2004, 10:00 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a wimp or a misery guts if you like.....go on....my shoulders are broad! ........BUT, am I the only person on this planet to whom the thought of camping fills me horror?? I must admit I've never done it and so maybe I'm in no position to comment. But the thought of living without a half decent bed to sleep on, no hairdryer (i know...what a bimbo ) etc fills me with dread.

Maybe I'm just a bloody ignorant snob but my bloke would no more get me to go camping than fly to the moon.

Or maybe I was a deprived child as my parents never took me camping....the nearest we got was my auntie Jean's caravan in Sheerness.

Ok...you can all slag me off now
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
Call me a wimp or a misery guts if you like.....go on....my shoulders are broad! ........BUT, am I the only person on this planet to whom the thought of camping fills me horror?? I must admit I've never done it and so maybe I'm in no position to comment. But the thought of living without a half decent bed to sleep on, no hairdryer (i know...what a bimbo ) etc fills me with dread.

Maybe I'm just a bloody ignorant snob but my bloke would no more get me to go camping than fly to the moon.

Or maybe I was a deprived child as my parents never took me camping....the nearest we got was my auntie Jean's caravan in Sheerness.

Ok...you can all slag me off now

So close to my own heart. The idea of shared loos across a field, no proper beds, the list could go on and on and on and ....... over my dead body. Luckily the hubby agrees - he won't even look at a caravan without breaking out in a sweat:scared:
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:25 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Late arvo, sling your swag under a gum tree by a bit of water. Boil the billy. Ablutions for the fastidious. Start the chops. Hold deep telepathic conversations with the embers. Hit the rum then the swag and out like a light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.