Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cambridge Meet Round 2

Cambridge Meet Round 2

Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:32 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cambridge Meet Round 2

Shall we have another one, maybe before Anya and MMW head for Melbourne (if they can fit it in, of course!)?

Any new additions to the Cambridgeshire branch of the forum intetested in coming along?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cambridge Meet Round 2

Originally posted by bundy
Shall we have another one, maybe before Anya and MMW head for Melbourne (if they can fit it in, of course!)?

Any new additions to the Cambridgeshire branch of the forum intetested in coming along?
We are new to the forum - me, Mrs H and two little ones, and would be interested in meeting up. Based in Great Shelford, work in Cambridge

Alastair
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:50 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Al H
We are new to the forum - me, Mrs H and two little ones, and would be interested in meeting up. Based in Great Shelford, work in Cambridge

Alastair

Welcome to the forum! There are a few of us in this area, either Cambridge or Bury St Eds way. Mr B and I live in central cambridge, he works for one of the colleges, I work out at Madingley. Last time we met up near Bury St Eds, but there was rumour of a Cambridge meet due to the fact that I'm running summer schools and can't leave town! Usually find a kid-friendly place to meet and the nippers can all meet each other and play.

Introduce yourself Alastair - where are you headed? What stage are you that, and all that. I'm applying for a spouse visa to go back with Mr B (the aussie). Lived in Oz for a year, visited several times, so feels like we're going home.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:26 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Only 20 days left, and a million things left to do! Aaaargh! Whimper! Panic now!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

Introduce yourself Alastair - where are you headed? What stage are you that, and all that. I'm applying for a spouse visa to go back with Mr B (the aussie). Lived in Oz for a year, visited several times, so feels like we're going home. [/QUOTE]

Hi Bundy (and everyone else)

We (Alastair, Caroline and Gregory 3, Jonathan 8 months) are aiming to move out to the Melbourne area sometime next year (end of Summer?). My brother is already out in rural Victoria having married a local, so we will go for a desginated area sponsored visa. We are currently getting everything ready for VETASSESS, which should be done in the next week or so.

We've been to Oz a couple of times, although not with the kids yet and chose Melbourne because of:
1 Brother
2 We like it
3 Jobs
4 House prices vs Sydney

Keep wondering if we are doing the right thing as we both have good jobs, nice house etc, but... you only live once and I am sure that we will regret it if we don't give it a go!

For Cambridge locals, I work for the University/Addenbrooke's and Caroline on the Science Park

Anyway work awaits.....

Alastair
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:31 pm
Rose-tinted specs anyone?

Sarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Gravyman and I are definately up for another meet!

You never know, by the time we get together, we may actually have heard back from the TRA - stranger things have happened!

Sara
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:32 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sarsa
Gravyman and I are definately up for another meet!

You never know, by the time we get together, we may actually have heard back from the TRA - stranger things have happened!

Sara
What happens at these 'meetings'? Is it just like a face to face version of this?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:36 pm
Rose-tinted specs anyone?

Sarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NedKelly63
What happens at these 'meetings'? Is it just like a face to face version of this?
The last time (June I think, although it seems longer than that!) we met up at a pub, had a meal, a few drinks and lots of chats!

It's a meeting of likeminded people at different stages of this wonderful visa seeking game.

It makes for a great afternoon, very informative and you get to put faces to names!

See you there?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:43 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by NedKelly63
No - we all take our clothes off and dance round naked in the Moonlight invoking the Satanic powers of DIMIA....

(sorry could not resist being flippant - it IS Friday pm )

What happens at the meets is a lot of good nattering, a few and swapping info etc. All great fun & good to talk with people 'in the same boat', as it were.

Anya.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We are from Bury St Edmunds and would be interested in a meet with like minded people
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:51 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Al H
Hi Bundy (and everyone else)

We (Alastair, Caroline and Gregory 3, Jonathan 8 months) are aiming to move out to the Melbourne area sometime next year (end of Summer?). My brother is already out in rural Victoria having married a local, so we will go for a desginated area sponsored visa. We are currently getting everything ready for VETASSESS, which should be done in the next week or so.

We've been to Oz a couple of times, although not with the kids yet and chose Melbourne because of:
1 Brother
2 We like it
3 Jobs
4 House prices vs Sydney

Keep wondering if we are doing the right thing as we both have good jobs, nice house etc, but... you only live once and I am sure that we will regret it if we don't give it a go!

For Cambridge locals, I work for the University/Addenbrooke's and Caroline on the Science Park

Anyway work awaits.....

Alastair
YAY! Another Cambridge-to-Melbourne combo, like us.

Don't worry, the 'wondering if you've done the right thing' business is pretty standard - all part of the fun of the move. As my esteemed hubby (MarkMyWords) says, we have 20 days to go, & I feel totally :scared: one minute and madly :PARTY: the next!!

Would love to meet up with all/any of you before we go but it will depend on how the time goes with getting everything done. Mind you, we do need some distractions, so we'll see...

Anya.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:14 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by anya4oz
No - we all take our clothes off and dance round naked in the Moonlight invoking the Satanic powers of DIMIA....

Anya.
LOL!!!!!! Just choked on my tea. Literally.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:17 pm
She's a bird, you know

Right, where's YFitz (Yvonne) when you need her and her organisational skills?

Let's start with a date, picked at random...like....Saturday 31 July. Or Sunday 8 August. Just picking dates when I know I'm free (I work weekends at this time of year). Any takers?
Old Jul 18th 2004, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Right, where's YFitz (Yvonne) when you need her and her organisational skills?

Let's start with a date, picked at random...like....Saturday 31 July. Or Sunday 8 August. Just picking dates when I know I'm free (I work weekends at this time of year). Any takers?

Ah, well done Bundy. I'd been thinking for a while now that we ought to get another meet sorted out.... since that Paul Weller bloke stuffed up our last day out!
Nick and I have been a bit flat recently as we were supposed to fly out yesterday for our recce but our agent messed up big time and we still don't have visas- will tell you all about it when we get together.
The 31st July would be good for us as we will be going to Scotland shortly after that and I know Anya and Mark are pushed for time. Any park with loos will be fine for us if we decide on a picnic. Am also thinking that maybe we should have a plan B if the weather is bad- it would be a shame to cancel again. I would be happy to have an open house at Chez Fitzgerald here in Woolpit. Alternatively we could book somewhere similar to last time- sit inside if wet or outside if nice. So.... could most people make that date and what would be the preference- park and plan B or pub?
Will be great catching up with you all again and meeting everyone who didn't make it to the last day out
Yvonne X
Old Jul 18th 2004, 6:44 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by YFitz
Ah, well done Bundy. I'd been thinking for a while now that we ought to get another meet sorted out.... since that Paul Weller bloke stuffed up our last day out!
Nick and I have been a bit flat recently as we were supposed to fly out yesterday for our recce but our agent messed up big time and we still don't have visas- will tell you all about it when we get together.
The 31st July would be good for us as we will be going to Scotland shortly after that and I know Anya and Mark are pushed for time. Any park with loos will be fine for us if we decide on a picnic. Am also thinking that maybe we should have a plan B if the weather is bad- it would be a shame to cancel again. I would be happy to have an open house at Chez Fitzgerald here in Woolpit. Alternatively we could book somewhere similar to last time- sit inside if wet or outside if nice. So.... could most people make that date and what would be the preference- park and plan B or pub?
Will be great catching up with you all again and meeting everyone who didn't make it to the last day out
Yvonne X
Hi all,

In theory, we'd love to come along to any meet, anywhere, on Sat 31 July (we leave the area on 5 Aug so can't do dates after that). It woud be great to see you all.

In practice, I think we have to say a provisional 'yes', just in case of last-minute panics (we're doing quite well on getting things ready, but progress changes to regress from day to day at the mo!). So we'll do our best to make it, but please bear with us if something crops up at the last minute and we can't.

Agree about loos & rain btw!!

Cheers,
Anya & Mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.