Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

Is anyone using SKYPE to call home to UK (for those that do not know SKYPE it allows you to talk to people free over your computer).

I installed the software this weekend and called my family. It was excellent very clear and better then the normal phone (although a bit strange to hear voices coming out of my computer speakers).

How is it over longer distance? Is there time delay?

Also I was going to get a couple of webcams so I can see my family when I am talking to them. Has anyone used webcam with SKYPE?

(Since it is free, I think this is the best way to keep in contact when I move to Aus in Feb.)
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
Is anyone using SKYPE to call home to UK (for those that do not know SKYPE it allows you to talk to people free over your computer).

I installed the software this weekend and called my family. It was excellent very clear and better then the normal phone (although a bit strange to hear voices coming out of my computer speakers).

Also I was going to get a couple of webcams so I can see my family when I am talking to them. Has anyone used webcam with SKYPE?

(Since it is free, I think this is the best way to keep in contact when I move to Aus in Feb.)
Asked a similar question just recently. I take it you had headphones with an attached mic or did you just speak via the computer's microphone?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:25 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stitch
Asked a similar question just recently. I take it you had headphones with an attached mic or did you just speak via the computer's microphone?

Cheers

Ginny
You can buy a skype phone handset that is exactly like a normal telephone. I think it is connected through your USB port and that you can use it for normal telephone calls. Not sure, this is all Terry's department really.

We have bought all of our adult children (they are not coming with us) a webcam for Christmas and have instructed them to register with skype.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:28 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
You can buy a skype phone handset that is exactly like a normal telephone. I think it is connected through your USB port and that you can use it for normal telephone calls. Not sure, this is all Terry's department really.

We have bought all of our adult children (they are not coming with us) a webcam for Christmas and have instructed them to register with skype.
Any idea where I can purchase a Skype handset?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:54 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Any idea where I can purchase a Skype handset?

Cheers

Ginny
Terry says PC World, Comet, that kind of place or failing that you can get them over the internet.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Cheers

Ginny
On www.skype.com I remember seeing info about the phone-20 quid from my memory.

However I am not sure you need to bother with this. I think your money is better spent getting 2x webcams with microphone and seeing an image of your loved one. You can get an ok webcam for 11 quid on ebuyer.com.

I guess only reason people use headset is they are used to talking into one rather at their computer!!

My test was somewhat primitive. I have normal laptop speakers, it was very loud and clear. I imagine when in Aus I will use a set of portable CD speakers I have that are somewhat louder than my notebook speakers.

I did not even have a mic. I juts plugged in headphones to mic port and spoke into the left ear (headphones can be used as a mic apparently!)

My next test is with the 2 webcams I have.

My mother is panicking once I go to Aus we will never get to speak as she is worried about her phone call, so this could be solution for free phone calls I hope.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a good logitech usb mic with thicker cable less likely to snap and straight plug in for 20 quid (no quick pound sign on aus keyboard) at PC World or staples then just use normal pc speakers.

Better than phone as can type and use computer as normal while talking as hands free. Skype at present doesn't have own web cam although suposed to be starting one at some time...you just use aol yahoo or msn along side skype at same time for web cam as you still get better phone quality sound on skype than the others and they did it first as well... .

I use it all the time to talk to people who have it in UK including parents and saves on phone calls, as on computer already.

Last edited by annqldau; Dec 19th 2005 at 5:44 pm. Reason: missed bit and clicked enter by mistake
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:44 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi

Hi.

When we went on our validation jolly to Sydney I took my laptop with me. We were lucky enough to have a broadband connection in our apartment (though they claimed SDSL but when I checked the connection speed it wasn't anywhere near - more like 900kbps up and 128kbps-ish down).

I also bought a Logitech Quickcam for noteboooks from Myer (my store....Myeerrr - yeah that one).

My wife used Skype(out) to call her Mum, in Newbury, from Sydney and it was as clear as a bell and absolutely no lag/delay. The cost was about 1p per minute.

Skype is very impressive when you stop to think about the potential latency involved with sending IP data (assembling/dis-assemlbing also) from Sydney to UK (and vice versa) and the fact that there was no discernable difference between calling with Skype to the next town or Sydney.

I used MSN Messenger to use the webcam and my folks could see me very clearly (1.3 megapixel camera) and again there was no delay (or at least, very, very little) with the audio either. My Mum even shed a tear when we held her grandson up to the camera (confused our baby though as he couldn't figure out how Grandma had got into the "box").
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Skype to phone my mum in UK and use a phone handset. It is just a VOIP handset and plugs into the USB port on the computer. I haven't tried using the computer's speakers as it would seem strange having a conversation that everybody else could hear.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

For calling my mum and friend I have found that the audio on MSN Messenger is good enough so I stick with that for instant messaging, video and audio. For Sam's mum we had to go for Skype to get the audio to work (a common problem with MSN Messenger).

But Skype have just released a beta (test) version of their software so you can do it all on their instead. As I have long since blown this months download limit and I don't want to change things now mum has got the hang of it I haven't tried it yet.

I make do with the mic in the webcam and the PC speakers. Sometimes there is a bit of feedback so I plug in some cheap headphones which does the job.

I am not tempted to get a VoIP phone yet.

My next improvement would be to get a USB extension cable (is there such a thing) so I can sit out on the patio.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worzel
My next improvement would be to get a USB extension cable (is there such a thing) so I can sit out on the patio.
Have you looked at http://www.skypephone.com.au/products/dualphone.php for "The world’s first cordless 2-in-1 Skype™ Internet telephone"

and Yes, you can get USB extension cables, about $40 for 5 metres !

Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:49 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I use Skype on my laptop. No plug ins, handsets or extras. Its works great just with the inbuilt mic and speakers.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:55 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you looked at http://www.skypephone.com.au/products/dualphone.php for "The world’s first cordless 2-in-1 Skype™ Internet telephone"

and Yes, you can get USB extension cables, about $40 for 5 metres !
Skype phones just seem too expensive to me. $200 for that one is about how much I would spend on calls home in 2 years on a regular phone with one of the calling cards.

Good point though, there is no point having the webcam on a long wire so I can sit on the patio if the speakers are in another room! I will have a look for something cheaper in a cordless VoIP phone (doesn't need to be dual as we have 4 phones already).
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:57 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I use Skype on my laptop. No plug ins, handsets or extras. Its works great just with the inbuilt mic and speakers.
After much deliberating I decided against a laptop in favour of a tower. This is the first thing that has come up where I would have found a laptop handy so no regrets really.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:02 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
After much deliberating I decided against a laptop in favour of a tower. This is the first thing that has come up where I would have found a laptop handy so no regrets really.

I agree. If i had to make a choice between the two i would go for a tower, but we have both as my husband does a lot of work on the pc which would mean i never got a look in, so he bought me a laptop to shut me up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.