Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Retirees - what did you do to settle in?

Calling all Retirees - what did you do to settle in?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 7:04 am
Just Joined

lizq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Retirees - what did you do to settle in?

Have arrived recently using our 410 visa - used up to now for short trips whilst still working.

Having spent 3 weeks catching up with children in Sydney we have now made our way up to the SunshineCoast at least until October.

May decide to move back down to Terrigal area if we decide to be closer to children (both single & working in Sydney so have VERY busy social lives but its still nice to be able to jump in car & see them relatively easily). However, we both love the laid back feeling of Noosaville area so may just rely on them jumping on plane to visit us!!

Anyone that has retired here has obviously made big adjustments - what did you do to meet people, settle in & generally make it feel like 'home' whilst at the same time getting used to being retired?

Will be really interested to hear all your various comments - I still feel like I'm on holiday and will be going back shortly!!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Calling all Retirees - what did you do to settle in?

Hi my parents have been here in Perth for 2 years on a 410 visa. Here are a few ways they have met some great friends; other 410ers via the beria web site, U3A (university of the 3rd age) have groups in most cities and is international, also my dad has a part time job which he loves and is very flexible.
They have a better social life than me and my husband I reckon and are currently off exploring Kalgoorie on the Prospector train
Hope that helps, good luck
HB
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:53 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Liz my in-laws came out with us nearly 5 years ago now and we thought they would be a little lost and living in our pockets but boy were we wrong!!!!
We virtually have to make an appointment to see them they are so busy.
The first thing they did was join the local RSL club and the nearest bowls club. Then they found a seniors club they liked the look of and as well as weekly meetings and events they go on holidays and trips. They also found a travel company called 'Fun over 50' and have just come back from 18 days in New Zealand. If this wasn't enough (although they are both Yorkshire born and bred) they joined the Cornish Society and they seem to take care of their spare days.
Good luck with settling in I hope this helps

Loz x
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

lizq is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both so much for the info.
We have today discovered the delights of our nearest RSL club - amazing value for money on food!
Am constantly amazed how friendly and helpful everyone is, and as each day goes past feel more at home.
Once again - thanks for reply
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by loz
Hi Liz my in-laws came out with us nearly 5 years ago now and we thought they would be a little lost and living in our pockets but boy were we wrong!!!!
We virtually have to make an appointment to see them they are so busy.
The first thing they did was join the local RSL club and the nearest bowls club. Then they found a seniors club they liked the look of and as well as weekly meetings and events they go on holidays and trips. They also found a travel company called 'Fun over 50' and have just come back from 18 days in New Zealand. If this wasn't enough (although they are both Yorkshire born and bred) they joined the Cornish Society and they seem to take care of their spare days.
Good luck with settling in I hope this helps

Loz x
\

That's hilarious joining the Cornish society being from Yorkshire!!! My parents are due over next year and we hope they settle in as well as your in-laws have.... After living over here for 7 years it will be so nice just having my parents around. I won't have to feel sad when I see mum's and daughters walking around anymore as my mum will soon be here....
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

This lot always sound like such a great organization for men to join, especially since there are always more things specifically geared for ladies. I have no personal experience with them, seeing that I am female and in my 30's.

http://www.mensshed.org/page7859/Home.aspx
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents came for their half year jaunt they joined the local golf club and spent most of their time playing golf around the countryside.

Personally, I didnt have to settle in as I have been here for decades but in my retirement I work - got offered a 15 hour a week job the day I quit and have been full or part time ever since. Just as well, I would probably go out of my mind with boredom if I stopped. Not that much to do for oldies here except go to the clubs and, if my current clientele is anything to go by, get addicted to the pokies and the low cost meals.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:11 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi, We retired here on 410 visa (no longer avalible) 8 years ago.Having an intearest in old cars I joined the local club (now a member of 4 car groups)and was made welcome and now own 2 Pommy cars Austins 1952 and 1927My 52 Austin always get comments from Australians who had one just like it.
We also joined the local Probus group.
I helped build a Mens Shed locally and go twice a week.
We have made good friends in these groups, our accent gets coments from the many 10 pound POMS who came here in the 50s/60s.
Lots of womens groups in Oz welcome new members.
Join a group you cant go wrong.
Hope this helps DH of yafm.