Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Quantity Surveyors.....

Calling all Quantity Surveyors.....

Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Eddie.Ward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Quantity Surveyors.....

I'm currently in the process of researching a move to Australia with my family. I'm currently a Quantity Surveyor with a local Building Developer and have worked as a Contractors QS for 18 years now. Am I right in thinking that a contractors QS is refered to as a Contract Administrator in Australia?

I assume that I would still apply for a visa as a Quantity Surveyor?

I'd love to hear from any other QS's who've made the move, for any advice / feedback.

Thanks,

Eddie Ward
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

kits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calling all Quantity Surveyors.....

Hello Eddie, my OH is a QS(originally from Edinburgh)we are in Brisbane, been here a year now and lovin' it.Building industry at the moment is booming. Try and look at Seek.com.au, or you can apply the visa for yourself and family, QS still on prof. list that are needed in OZ or try to find an employer to sponsor you.
We came here in Australia 15 years ago on a Employers Nomination Scheme,stayed for 2 years on same employer and applied for citizenship and got the passport,then left and went back to Edinburgh. We stayed in Edinburgh for 8 years and my OH new employer sent us to The US and we stayed there for 5 yrs. And decided it was time to pack up and moved back here in OZ.
It took OH a month to get a job by contacting agencies to arrange him interviews at no cost to us(all correspondence via e-mails). They are in short supply of QS's in Australia at the moment.
Good Luck
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

T8HK is an unknown quantity at this point

Eddie,

You are correct a Contractor's QS is considered a Contract Administrator, whereas a Quantity Surveyor is what you would call a PQS in the UK.

If you are migrating independently, i.e. without a sponsor, you should apply as a Quantity Surveyor.

I can't tell you what it's like working over here yet as i don't fly out until the end of Feb. However, if you are considering the move i would suggest you make it sooner rather than later as there are no guarantees that the current construction industry boom will last. I don't want to sound like a doom and gloom merchant but if things do slow down then the demand for QS's would drop, therefore the points given would be lower and this may affect your chances of getting a visa.

At the moment you are in demand so get yourself over here!

Cheers
T8
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Loui is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eddie.Ward
I'm currently in the process of researching a move to Australia with my family. I'm currently a Quantity Surveyor with a local Building Developer and have worked as a Contractors QS for 18 years now. Am I right in thinking that a contractors QS is refered to as a Contract Administrator in Australia?

I'd love to hear from any other QS's who've made the move, for any advice / feedback.

Thanks,

Eddie Ward
Hi Eddie,

I work as a project/contracts administrator in Brisbane, I was a QS in England so yes you are correct in that your title will change. QS's in Oz are generally what we think of PQS's (which are called Superintendent's here?? I know confusing at first but it soon comes).

I can't comment about applying as a QS for a skilled visa, my partner is an Accountant & they are on the demand top ten list so we took that route on a skilled visa.

I work for a company called Matrix Project Management in Brisbane we are a fast growing company, very good to work for. There is a lot of work in Queensland, we have an office in Cairns, Brisbane & one on the Gold Coast & are looking at opening one in Darwin I think, as there's a big boom there at the moment.

I was offered numerous interviews, Matrix was my first interview & I was offered the job straight away. I know lots of people think that you have to take a drop in salary to come to Oz but with 18years experience & qualifications you could easily be looking at $120K+ depending on your skills & the company.

Good luck
Loui
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Eddie.Ward is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info a great help.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:08 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Hi
Does anyone know what salary to expect for a Chartered (RICS 3 years ago) PQS with 10 years experience in the Cairns area. I was thinking of someting like $100k but is that a bit optimistic. I already have a skilled visa and have been working for mainly the same firm in London.
Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eddie.Ward

Thanks,

Eddie Ward

Eddie,

I've PM'd....not sure if it'll be be of much use but have a look.

All the Best.