Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all Prison/Correction Officers!!!

calling all Prison/Correction Officers!!!

Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default calling all Prison/Correction Officers!!!

Hi to you all!

can anybody help? My OH is a Senior PO in the Uk and we're toying with idea of emigration, not fully decided between OZ or NZ, but we really need some idea of what the difference is between our countries and their prisons.... also what the pay is like too? And where in OZ is the best place to live with 2 adults and a child (12) and hopefully our cat too! We live near the city at the moment, near to Leeds and York in the Uk, so some ideas would be really great.... I know it's a mixed bag of questions, but i'm confused!!!!

thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of
Default Re: calling all Prison/Correction Officers!!!

Originally Posted by big nelly
Hi to you all!

can anybody help? My OH is a Senior PO in the Uk and we're toying with idea of emigration, not fully decided between OZ or NZ, but we really need some idea of what the difference is between our countries and their prisons.... also what the pay is like too? And where in OZ is the best place to live with 2 adults and a child (12) and hopefully our cat too! We live near the city at the moment, near to Leeds and York in the Uk, so some ideas would be really great.... I know it's a mixed bag of questions, but i'm confused!!!!

thanks.
Hi There

Sorry cant be of much help to your question but I do know that they are crying out for prison officers in NZ as I have a friend and her partner who are in the middle of getting an application form completed for NZ prison service.

Nadine
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Hi to you all!

thanks.
I am also interested in Prison officers in Aus as my friend is one but cannot find it on the list of skills in demand. Am I assuming that he cannot apply for a visa ?
Could he be sponsored by a prison in Aus ?

We are both nurses and have applied on a 136 skilled independant but do not know what advice to give him.

Alison
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:30 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

hi my hubby is an officer at risley and i am nurse. We have the same dilemma and not sure about the prisons in and around brisbane and australia.NZ seems to be more up and running with advertising but would prefer oz, any advice or news on this would be appreciated.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:10 pm
Banned

arealbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi my hubby is an officer at risley and i am nurse. We have the same dilemma and not sure about the prisons in and around brisbane and australia.NZ seems to be more up and running with advertising but would prefer oz, any advice or news on this would be appreciated.
maybe you shuld keep general chat in the barbie.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arealbrit
maybe you shuld keep general chat in the barbie.
Seems to be more about discussing Australian lifestyle than general chat so I don't see your point. If you have a problem with this I suggest you report it to the moderators instead of making posts which wind poeple up.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:33 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to you all!

thanks.
To all those wanting contact and info:
This is for Queensland, so can't speak for other states.

www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au

Checkout vacancies on www.jobs.qld.gov.au

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 12th 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lisabarber
Hi

For those that are asking, I really couldn’t say wether Corrective Services would sponsor you for a work visa (I just don’t know), it would be best to contact them directly and make some enquires.

Corrections are employees of the Queensland Government, as are the nurses, (Queensland Health) we so often read about, and they do sponsor, so it may be possible.

I can say that Queensland Corrective Services do not appoint Custodial Officers at any level, (irrespective of previous experience) unless they have completed their own ten-week entry level training course at the Brisbane academy, (even experienced officers from other Oz states have to do this course). Basically it would mean you starting any career again from the start.

To gain employment would involve initial application, then passing a psychology test and easy maths/English tests and interview. Anyone with a couple of years experience shouldn’t have any trouble with these or indeed the entry-level course.

To give some good news, Queensland Corrective Services are very under-staffed (and actively recruiting as we speak) and have been doing so for some time, so the future in corrections, work wise, looks pretty good. If you’ve been in the job then you’ll know what to expect, our problem is that a lot of folk think they’ll be all right until they are face to face with it.

If the government (Corrections) route gives no success, then we do have private prisons here, we get a lot of officers coming over from the private sector; unfortunately I know nothing about their operation but you will find info on them by googling ‘Arthur Gorrie’ detention centre Brisbane.

I hope this is of help to you.
Regards

Scott.
Some folk say I’m a good SCREW…. I just smile and agree
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Hi to you all!

thanks.
Hi Nadine,

thanks for the info, we have been looking mainly at NZ, but thought maybe OZ would be good too. Sounds easier to find jobs in NZ at the moment, although the money isn't as good as it is here and it would mean starting again for him, as rank means nothing.... will have to see how he feels about that!

thanks again,

Helen
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scotvness
Hi

For those that are asking, I really couldn’t say wether Corrective Services would sponsor you for a work visa (I just don’t know), it would be best to contact them directly and make some enquires.

Corrections are employees of the Queensland Government, as are the nurses, (Queensland Health) we so often read about, and they do sponsor, so it may be possible.

I can say that Queensland Corrective Services do not appoint Custodial Officers at any level, (irrespective of previous experience) unless they have completed their own ten-week entry level training course at the Brisbane academy, (even experienced officers from other Oz states have to do this course). Basically it would mean you starting any career again from the start.

To gain employment would involve initial application, then passing a psychology test and easy maths/English tests and interview. Anyone with a couple of years experience shouldn’t have any trouble with these or indeed the entry-level course.

To give some good news, Queensland Corrective Services are very under-staffed (and actively recruiting as we speak) and have been doing so for some time, so the future in corrections, work wise, looks pretty good. If you’ve been in the job then you’ll know what to expect, our problem is that a lot of folk think they’ll be all right until they are face to face with it.

If the government (Corrections) route gives no success, then we do have private prisons here, we get a lot of officers coming over from the private sector; unfortunately I know nothing about their operation but you will find info on them by googling ‘Arthur Gorrie’ detention centre Brisbane.

I hope this is of help to you.
Regards

Scott.
Some folk say I’m a good SCREW…. I just smile and agree
Hi Scott,

thanks for the advice. Are you an officer at the moment? Where did you work before you moved to Brisbane? My OH is a Senior Officer acting up as a Principal at the moment, but as you may well be aware life is very varied in the prison's over here, so i'm trying to persuade him to start again and try a new life with hopefully slightly less stress and violence either in OZ or NZ. Would you say there are many differences in working there? is there anything that makes it outstanding either good or bad?

thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Helen
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:17 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scott,

thanks for the advice. Are you an officer at the moment? Where did you work before you moved to Brisbane? My OH is a Senior Officer acting up as a Principal at the moment, but as you may well be aware life is very varied in the prison's over here, so i'm trying to persuade him to start again and try a new life with hopefully slightly less stress and violence either in OZ or NZ. Would you say there are many differences in working there? is there anything that makes it outstanding either good or bad?

thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Helen
Less stress. less violence, now that would be enjoyable, if it were true. Someone pass the rose-tinted specs please.
Obviously my links were not helpful?

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 13th 2008 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Less stress. less violence, now that would be enjoyable, if it were true. Someone pass the rose-tinted specs please.
I'm sure your links were spot on. Now put the toys back in the pram ‘big fella’.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

To all those wanting contact and info:
This is for Queensland, so can't speak for other states.

www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au

Checkout vacancies on www.jobs.qld.gov.au
FAB link !!

Thank you

Alison x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:39 am
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

hi caddy are you going to oz as a nurse, my hubbys a prison officer, in touch with sir john of god at subiaco scared stiff any advice you can pm me
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

sorry Mr Bloke, your links are the best!!! just thought i'd ask a few more questions, surely you can't blame a girl for asking?

H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.