Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Lynn,

It was for us, thus we settled for one 'burb back. It was good to hear the commenta by Larrissa and we can't wait to get over into out new house, new life and new environment.

We have sold the majority of our furniture to the people who bought our house (and subsequently rented it back to us) but are packing up approx 10-12 boxes of personal items. Hopefully they will be sent off in the next 2 weeks. Cats go in 17 days, so soon we will be in an empty house with no moggies!!

Dave

Dave,
Did you apply for the skilled ind 136 visa?
How long has it took for you guys and did you use an agent to help you?
We lodged our original request for a formal ass with go matilda back in june and we are up to getting my papers ready for the T.R.A. ass.
Go Matilda seem very good and very pleasant to deal with.
Getting to where you are though seems a dream away.
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Dave,
Did you apply for the skilled ind 136 visa?
How long has it took for you guys and did you use an agent to help you?
We lodged our original request for a formal ass with go matilda back in june and we are up to getting my papers ready for the T.R.A. ass.
Go Matilda seem very good and very pleasant to deal with.
Getting to where you are though seems a dream away.
Lynn
Hi Lynn

It all seems so long ago that we applied for the visa (2002) that I havent a clue what the number was. We applied and received a Skilled Independant Visa. Applied in April 2002 and had the visa granted in May 2003. Had planned to move to OZ in Jan 2004, but unfortunately due to family issues, we had to delay by a year. First sent off my skills assessment to the ACS in June 2001. Didn't use an agent for several reasons 1) Ours was a fairly simple application (except for proving a defacto relationship) 2) I enjoy a challenge and 3) I am a tight git!!

So suffice to say the point where I am counting down days has taken a long time coming!!! That said, hang on in there - it seems like a mountain of paperwork and hassle, and although to some extent it is, getting advise from other who have been through or are going though it, makes things much easier.

Hope all goes well for you and look forward to meeting you and your hubby when you make it out to Perth (Ocean Reef, Currambine, or whereeven - I am sure you will be happy)
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Lynn

It all seems so long ago that we applied for the visa (2002) that I havent a clue what the number was. We applied and received a Skilled Independant Visa. Applied in April 2002 and had the visa granted in May 2003. Had planned to move to OZ in Jan 2004, but unfortunately due to family issues, we had to delay by a year. First sent off my skills assessment to the ACS in June 2001. Didn't use an agent for several reasons 1) Ours was a fairly simple application (except for proving a defacto relationship) 2) I enjoy a challenge and 3) I am a tight git!!

So suffice to say the point where I am counting down days has taken a long time coming!!! That said, hang on in there - it seems like a mountain of paperwork and hassle, and although to some extent it is, getting advise from other who have been through or are going though it, makes things much easier.

Hope all goes well for you and look forward to meeting you and your hubby when you make it out to Perth (Ocean Reef, Currambine, or whereeven - I am sure you will be happy)

I know what you mean about forking out money to agents,but i'm more thick than tight! I know I would totally mess it up if it was left up to me so it's worth it,
Well that's it for me,i'm turning in again,i hit 12 o'clock and turn into a sleepy doormouse or possibly a pumpkin, just looked in mirror,def a pumpkin,nite nite'
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

I know what you mean about forking out money to agents,but i'm more thick than tight! I know I would totally mess it up if it was left up to me so it's worth it,
Well that's it for me,i'm turning in again,i hit 12 o'clock and turn into a sleepy doormouse or possibly a pumpkin, just looked in mirror,def a pumpkin,nite nite'
Lynn
- Again good talking to you!!

Nite nite
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me what 'being approved by the Foreign Investment review board'?
I saw a news article that talked about needing this if you want to buy real estate in WA,but it doesn't say what it is,
any ideas?
Lynn
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:23 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Back to advice on housing,

If you are looking for an area in the North of Perth, that is up and coming and hasnt yet reached the highs of City Beach, Cotts, or Hillarys, then go for Kallaroo. We spent our first three months driving round every road and avenue in the Northern Suburbs, and were most impressed by Kallaroo, which is where we eventually bought.

Everyone, who knows what they are talking about in real estate, will tell you, dont buy in a suburb that has reached the top of the market, buy in the adjacent suburbs, which havent. Kallaroo is literally two miles from Hillarys Boat Harbour, yet prices are significantly cheaper than if you buy in Hillarys.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Back to advice on housing,

If you are looking for an area in the North of Perth, that is up and coming and hasnt yet reached the highs of City Beach, Cotts, or Hillarys, then go for Kallaroo. We spent our first three months driving round every road and avenue in the Northern Suburbs, and were most impressed by Kallaroo, which is where we eventually bought.

Everyone, who knows what they are talking about in real estate, will tell you, dont buy in a suburb that has reached the top of the market, buy in the adjacent suburbs, which havent. Kallaroo is literally two miles from Hillarys Boat Harbour, yet prices are significantly cheaper than if you buy in Hillarys.

Thanx for that.
Did you checkout the southern suburbs too?
If so,did you prefer the north and why?
What can you get for 100,000 pounds?anything or not a lot?
Any schools with good reps?
Lynn
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi renth,
I noticed your location is ocean reef,what is house prices like there and would you recommend the place for a family?
Lynn
Ocean Reef has quite a range a range of house prices, have a look at the REIWA site, It's a good suburb though but I'll let you make up your mind about the schools, we're taking our lot out of Ocean Reef.

Some lovely houses though.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Ocean Reef has quite a range a range of house prices, have a look at the REIWA site, It's a good suburb though but I'll let you make up your mind about the schools, we're taking our lot out of Ocean Reef.

The house we live in is worth about $750,000 but we rent it. It's a bloody nice house though.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth

up with the school at Ocean Reef?
Would you recommend any suburbs just back off the sea?
Still walking/cycling dist from it.
Darkless was saying Currumbine" is nice.
Renth,what school are you placing them?Any recommendations?
Lynn
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

up with the school at Ocean Reef?
Would you recommend any suburbs just back off the sea?
Still walking/cycling dist from it.
Darkless was saying Currumbine" is nice.
Renth,what school are you placing them?Any recommendations?
Lynn
I like Ocean Reef as a suburb, the only other suburbs up here I would consider are Iluka, Hillarys and the northern part of Sorrento.

We're sending the kids to Wesley College.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi renth,
I noticed your location is ocean reef,what is house prices like there and would you recommend the place for a family?
Lynn
Hello Lynn

If you want to be near the sea I recomend Amble, not a penny to be paid in agents fees.

I was supossed to go out with your mate Brian, with a couple of my Amble mates, this Saturday but that doesn't seem very likely now that he's buggered off back to blighty.

How does his wife feel about his return?

Keel
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Originally Posted by keel
Hello Lynn

If you want to be near the sea I recomend Amble, not a penny to be paid in agents fees.

I was supossed to go out with your mate Brian, with a couple of my Amble mates, this Saturday but that doesn't seem very likely now that he's buggered off back to blighty.

How does his wife feel about his return?

Keel

Hiya Mate!
Can you believe it?!
I was so shocked to hear his return.
She was frustrated at not being able to get there to help him to ultimatly stay,but I saw her the other day and she,now seems to 'understand why' and supports him.I would have had him for breakfast!
On saying that,he sounded like he really missed them,along with the total frustration of not being able to find rented that would take a dog.
Also,she said the job offers wern't paying him enough,but i'm sure he must've realised it's not the uk and therefore not the uk pound.
So he got on a plane home,just as the dog and furniture arrived!
They have to pay to turn the container around but you'll never guess...after all the grief of not getting accom therefore returning,...the dog died in quaranteen!!!!!!!!!!!!Can you believe their luck!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway i'll be learning a lot through all their stress.
Apparantly,they are now gonna wait 3 yrs,then try for Melbourne,if it was me ,I'd give up.
So,because of it all,I've decided to have a visit to see for myself,just to put my mind at rest because although i haven't seen him yet,i'm not sure how positive he will be about his experience,and unless i see for myself,it has the potential to put me off which i don't want of course,so i'll let you know,
catch ya later,
Lynn
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:15 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone tell me what 'being approved by the Foreign Investment review board'?
I saw a news article that talked about needing this if you want to buy real estate in WA,but it doesn't say what it is,
any ideas?
Lynn
FIRB approval is just a formality, its for people buying real estate from oversea's.
We had to sign the form when we bought our place as we didn't (still dont) have our visa's.
Oh, also if you dont have a visa you can only buy a new build. ie: a land and house package.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:25 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Simmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth, we moved to Iluka from Woodvale 2 years ago and having just sold our property at an increase of 35%, was very good buying for us. We love the area and we are now building in Iluka 500m from the ocean. Currambine is nice with some real nice properties and good local ameneties, not sure about schools as we have no kids but the Joondalup area in general is good, in my humble opinion some areas of both Ocean Reef and Kallaroo are looking a bit tired, but still good buying and good neighbourhoods.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.