Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi,

Dunno if this helps at all but we bought a 4x2 - 6 year old house (all dbl bedrooms, games, formal lounge, family, dining, kitchen, dbl garage) in Currambine (suburb between Iluka and Joondalup) for $295,000. Tis about 1.5/2 kms from the beach and only about a 10 min walk to the Currambine train station.

Dave

How long ago did you buy your house?
Currumbine sounds convienient for beach and ways of working in the city too.
Any downsides to Currumbine?
I guess 2 kms to beach is easily biked to?
Lynn
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
How long ago did you buy your house?
Currumbine sounds convienient for beach and ways of working in the city too.
Any downsides to Currumbine?
I guess 2 kms to beach is easily biked to?
Lynn
Hi Lynn

We bought our house when we visited Perth to validate our visas in April this year. The sale was complete by early June.

I know that a lot of people advise that you should live in an area renting before deciding to buy, and they have a valuable point. However, we fell in love with the house, researched the area (as best we could), spoke to friends who had rented in the area and neighbouring suberbs, and we couldnt see any particular problems with the area.

What buying the house has given us seems immeasurable, in the sense that we know exactly where we are going, what we have to furnish, no need to worry about references for renting, or proving a credit history, etc. For us, thus far we feel this has been the right move.

However, and I will stress this - we are not currently living in the house as we are still in the UK - move out in just over 6 weeks time. So I cannot tell you whether this has been the right decision in the long term, but then who can ever tell that. We are happy we choose to buy in Currambine and will see where the next stage of our adventure takes us.

As for Currambine, yes, the fact that I thought that by bike it would take approx 20 mins to walk to the beach or 8-10 minutes to cycle, plus you have easy access to the train station and in the future the freeway, was enough to convince us. Currambine also has a large(ish) supermarket, cinema and couple of restaurants on it's shopping complex, so we are fairly happy wih the local amenities.

I don't know if there is anyone on here who has lived or is living in Currambine, who can give a better insight to the area.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Thanx for that.
We are in the middle of our process,TRA preps are going on with our agent.
We hope to be out there by xmas next year,but i don't know how realistic that is.
I was told that unless we can pay cash for a house, we have to have 12 wage slips to prove income to get a mortgage,have you found any of that to be the case?
We would,like you,like to buy straight off to maximise the capital we have,not huges i have to add,but nevertheless,not really want to wash it down the renting plughole.
I like the sound of the north suburbs,but there are a few on the website that could put me off if i thought about it too much.
I'm not expecting utopia,i'm realistic,but getting out of this bloody cold and rain has to be a good start,
Lynn
Do you have family?

Hi Lynn

We bought our house when we visited Perth to validate our visas in April this year. The sale was complete by early June.

I know that a lot of people advise that you should live in an area renting before deciding to buy, and they have a valuable point. However, we fell in love with the house, researched the area (as best we could), spoke to friends who had rented in the area and neighbouring suberbs, and we couldnt see any particular problems with the area.

What buying the house has given us seems immeasurable, in the sense that we know exactly where we are going, what we have to furnish, no need to worry about references for renting, or proving a credit history, etc. For us, thus far we feel this has been the right move.

However, and I will stress this - we are not currently living in the house as we are still in the UK - move out in just over 6 weeks time. So I cannot tell you whether this has been the right decision in the long term, but then who can ever tell that. We are happy we choose to buy in Currambine and will see where the next stage of our adventure takes us.

As for Currambine, yes, the fact that I thought that by bike it would take approx 20 mins to walk to the beach or 8-10 minutes to cycle, plus you have easy access to the train station and in the future the freeway, was enough to convince us. Currambine also has a large(ish) supermarket, cinema and couple of restaurants on it's shopping complex, so we are fairly happy wih the local amenities.

I don't know if there is anyone on here who has lived or is living in Currambine, who can give a better insight to the area.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Thanx for that.
We are in the middle of our process,TRA preps are going on with our agent.
We hope to be out there by xmas next year,but i don't know how realistic that is.
I was told that unless we can pay cash for a house, we have to have 12 wage slips to prove income to get a mortgage,have you found any of that to be the case?
We would,like you,like to buy straight off to maximise the capital we have,not huges i have to add,but nevertheless,not really want to wash it down the renting plughole.
I like the sound of the north suburbs,but there are a few on the website that could put me off if i thought about it too much.
I'm not expecting utopia,i'm realistic,but getting out of this bloody cold and rain has to be a good start,
Lynn
Do you have family?

Hi Lynn,

We spoke to a financial advisor when we visited in April and were amazed at our options. We have been able to get a mortgage whilst living in the UK based upon out UK wages at the time of applying. We had to have a 20% deposit, but so long as you have that or more and your UK wages are sufficient, then you can get a mortage - although you will need to have your visa I think.

Myself and my wife at the time both worked so we had dual income to be considered, but my wife was in her second year of teaching and I was working in a university (not lecturing), so suffice to say our overall income whilst comfortable for us, would not be considered excessive by any means. We were amazed when we were told we could if we wanted, borrow upto $550,000 AUD. Not that I would have ever done this, but it was kinda nice to know!!

There are other options available to you if you have a 20% deposit - LowDoc mortgages are available and are essentially like self-certification mortages over here (you may pay a slightly higher interest rate, but once you get setup, you can always look around for another mortgage - conditions permitting). I would definately advise you get financial advice from an Aussie IFA.

I would not advise that you even consider buying a house in OZ without going and seeing property first though. There are so many different thing to think about, that you really must see the place first. We visited many houses and it was not until you were stood outside, or inside them that you realised what a genius the photographer must have been to make them look that good!!!

We liked the Northern Suberbs and although it is said on the forum that they are rammed full of Brits we decided that following a move like this, that wouldn't be so bad for a while. Don't get me wrong it is not our intention to see out the rest of our lives living in some Eldorado-style place. We fully intend to embrace the Aussie culture and become an Aussie. However I want the move to be a success and easing ourselves into the new culture seems to be the best approach - hence the Northern Suberbs are fine for us.

I have a family - there is me Dave, my wife (of 5 1/2 weeks) Helen and my stepson Nathan (12)

I hope you application goes well, and as I noticed in another post this evening, remember that peoples opinions on here are their opinions, we all have different expectations, aims, etc - what suits one, wont suit another - and that is fine - but don't make your mind up 100% based upon others on here (myself included naturally)

Dave
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Wow,it's so different here,they throw credit cards at us here but when it comes to 'serious' lending,they are strict,so it's nice to know there are more options.
I have a husband called Garry,3 kids,Joel,he is 13,Ellie is 8 and Eva is 5.
Garry has just finished a 4yr degree course in I.T.and i've been a hairstylist for 19 yrs.so applying on my job we are having a go.
I'm off to bed now.sitting shivering here in the freezing north,but i'd like to keep an eye out for you in the coming weeks,enjoyed the chat and info,thanx,
Lynn

QUOTE=darkless]Hi Lynn,

We spoke to a financial advisor when we visited in April and were amazed at our options. We have been able to get a mortgage whilst living in the UK based upon out UK wages at the time of applying. We had to have a 20% deposit, but so long as you have that or more and your UK wages are sufficient, then you can get a mortage - although you will need to have your visa I think.

Myself and my wife at the time both worked so we had dual income to be considered, but my wife was in her second year of teaching and I was working in a university (not lecturing), so suffice to say our overall income whilst comfortable for us, would not be considered excessive by any means. We were amazed when we were told we could if we wanted, borrow upto $550,000 AUD. Not that I would have ever done this, but it was kinda nice to know!!

There are other options available to you if you have a 20% deposit - LowDoc mortgages are available and are essentially like self-certification mortages over here (you may pay a slightly higher interest rate, but once you get setup, you can always look around for another mortgage - conditions permitting). I would definately advise you get financial advice from an Aussie IFA.

I would not advise that you even consider buying a house in OZ without going and seeing property first though. There are so many different thing to think about, that you really must see the place first. We visited many houses and it was not until you were stood outside, or inside them that you realised what a genius the photographer must have been to make them look that good!!!

We liked the Northern Suberbs and although it is said on the forum that they are rammed full of Brits we decided that following a move like this, that wouldn't be so bad for a while. Don't get me wrong it is not our intention to see out the rest of our lives living in some Eldorado-style place. We fully intend to embrace the Aussie culture and become an Aussie. However I want the move to be a success and easing ourselves into the new culture seems to be the best approach - hence the Northern Suberbs are fine for us.

I have a family - there is me Dave, my wife (of 5 1/2 weeks) Helen and my stepson Nathan (12)

I hope you application goes well, and as I noticed in another post this evening, remember that peoples opinions on here are their opinions, we all have different expectations, aims, etc - what suits one, wont suit another - and that is fine - but don't make your mind up 100% based upon others on here (myself included naturally)

Dave[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow,it's so different here,they throw credit cards at us here but when it comes to 'serious' lending,they are strict,so it's nice to know there are more options.
I have a husband called Garry,3 kids,Joel,he is 13,Ellie is 8 and Eva is 5.
Garry has just finished a 4yr degree course in I.T.and i've been a hairstylist for 19 yrs.so applying on my job we are having a go.
I'm off to bed now.sitting shivering here in the freezing north,but i'd like to keep an eye out for you in the coming weeks,enjoyed the chat and info,thanx,
Lynn

Hi Lynn

Nice to talk to you too - hope I have been of some (small) help.

I am in IT too - I am lucky that I have my own small business now and will be working for UK clients earning UKP when we first get over there! It is a weight off my mind I can tell you!!

It is freezing cold down here in Essex too - played football (soccer) tonight and was freezing!!!

Roll on Perth in 47 days (that is the first time I have worked that out - it seems a bit scary when I think of it like that!!)

Dave
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynn
We have friends living in Currambine; the houses look good, it's quite a new suburb, so they are pretty modern. The primary school also has a good reputation. It's a short drive to the main shopping centre and ammenities in Joondalup. The train station is also convenient (We're on the other side of it). I would look at maps and check that your house isn't going to be too near the proposed Mitchell Freeway extension, which will follow the train track. This might be noisy and cause dust etc, when it's built.
However, I don't think Currambine is for us as we'd like a larger plot for a garden; the houses are quite close together.
ATB
By the way, the price you quoted seems about right, but don't rush into anything as there is so much choice. We are taking another 5 months to decide (bond money is released then) and looking at 2/3 show homes/open houses each weekend, in different suburbs.
I'd say that Currambine is probably better value than Iluka IMHO.

Last edited by Larissa; Dec 1st 2004 at 9:50 am.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Lynn
We have friends living in Currambine; the houses look good, it's quite a new suburb, so they are pretty modern. The primary school also has a good reputation. It's a short drive to the main shopping centre and ammenities in Joondalup. The train station is also convenient (We're on the other side of it). I would look at maps and check that your house isn't going to be too near the proposed Mitchell Freeway extension, which will follow the train track. This might be noisy and cause dust etc, when it's built.
However, I don't think Currambine is for us as we'd like a larger plot for a garden; the houses are quite close together.
ATB
By the way, the price you quoted seems about right, but don't rush into anything as there is so much choice. We are taking another 5 months to decide (bond money is released then) and looking at 2/3 show homes/open houses each weekend, in different suburbs.
I'd say that Currambine is probably better value than Iluka IMHO.

Hi Larissa,
thanx 4 that.
What's the average price in Ocean Reef?Can you get anything for under $300,000? or is it steeper because it's right on the coast?
How long have you been there and are you renting untill you see the house you want?
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good evening Dave,
noticed you were on,seems like 5 mins since last nite.
How are you all?
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Larissa,
thanx 4 that.
What's the average price in Ocean Reef?Can you get anything for under $300,000? or is it steeper because it's right on the coast?
How long have you been there and are you renting untill you see the house you want?
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

Looking at www.realestate.com.au there are a couple of properties in the 300-325K range, but realistically most of the houses are 400K+
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larissa,
thanx 4 that.
Lynn
Hi Lynn
I'm not sure of the average price in Ocean Reef, as we haven't looked at that area yet, apart from driving through. If you check out http://www.aussiemove.com/sub/area.a...c=7&a=A11&o=M# you may get an idea. Ocean Reef is a bit pricier, but you may be able to find smaller, more affordable properties within walking distance. I think prices may also shoot up soon as they are planning to build a marina. I'm not that keen on the seafront itself - the houses are very expensive, exclusive and it's a bit souless, but the houses further back seem more affordable and more "alive". This might be a weird comment to make, but they are *really* expensive right on the beach road. I think you would also may more for a view (which is what we'd like!), some advertise sunset views, but they might just end up being a view from the loo on your tiptoes!
I guess Renth would be the expert as he's in Ocean Reef.
We've only been here a month and a half & spending the next 5 months looking. I'd like to be within walking distance of the sea, with a view... but hubby wants land! We saw a gorgeous showhome at the weekend and would love to build, but that might be out of our price range. At the moment, we don't know how much hubby will be earning, so it's hard to estimate how much mortgage we will need. I have also heard that you can get a mortgage with 3 months payslips and it will be much easier if you have a sizable deposit. We haven't yet looked into mortgages yet.
Take care
Larissa
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good evening Dave,
noticed you were on,seems like 5 mins since last nite.
How are you all?
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

Probably looks like I am always on, since I work at home and have my 'puter on 24-7 and often British Expats is open in a window. For the record though I do not spend all day everyday on here!!

We are good thanks - dismantled a high-sleeper bed with desk, wardrobe underneath, etc tonight - and packed up two more boxes - by this rate we may be ready to leave in Feb.

We fly in Jan though - D'oh!!!
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Lynn
I'm not sure of the average price in Ocean Reef, as we haven't looked at that area yet, apart from driving through. If you check out http://www.aussiemove.com/sub/area.a...c=7&a=A11&o=M# you may get an idea. Ocean Reef is a bit pricier, but you may be able to find smaller, more affordable properties within walking distance. I think prices may also shoot up soon as they are planning to build a marina. I'm not that keen on the seafront itself - the houses are very expensive, exclusive and it's a bit souless, but the houses further back seem more affordable and more "alive". This might be a weird comment to make, but they are *really* expensive right on the beach road. I think you would also may more for a view (which is what we'd like!), some advertise sunset views, but they might just end up being a view from the loo on your tiptoes!
I guess Renth would be the expert as he's in Ocean Reef.
We've only been here a month and a half & spending the next 5 months looking. I'd like to be within walking distance of the sea, with a view... but hubby wants land! We saw a gorgeous showhome at the weekend and would love to build, but that might be out of our price range. At the moment, we don't know how much hubby will be earning, so it's hard to estimate how much mortgage we will need. I have also heard that you can get a mortgage with 3 months payslips and it will be much easier if you have a sizable deposit. We haven't yet looked into mortgages yet.
Take care
Larissa

Hi Larissa,
how have you found your first few weeks there?
Did your hubby have a job to come out to ?If not,how easy is it to get jobs?
I'm a hairdresser and my husband is in i.t. but just finished a 4yr degree course.
We are unlikely to have jobs to come out to,what's the scene there?
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lynn,

Looking at www.realestate.com.au there are a couple of properties in the 300-325K range, but realistically most of the houses are 400K+

Bit steep for us,a sea view is something really nice to have but not sure it's worth that much.
I'll look at the website,thanx.
Larissa had some good things to say about where you are going Dave,it's reassuring for you.
If you are on your way to Perth in 46 days,Yeh!, is your furniture already on it's way?
Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bit steep for us,a sea view is something really nice to have but not sure it's worth that much.
I'll look at the website,thanx.
Larissa had some good things to say about where you are going Dave,it's reassuring for you.
If you are on your way to Perth in 46 days,Yeh!, is your furniture already on it's way?
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

It was for us, thus we settled for one 'burb back. It was good to hear the commenta by Larrissa and we can't wait to get over into out new house, new life and new environment.

We have sold the majority of our furniture to the people who bought our house (and subsequently rented it back to us) but are packing up approx 10-12 boxes of personal items. Hopefully they will be sent off in the next 2 weeks. Cats go in 17 days, so soon we will be in an empty house with no moggies!!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.