Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Thumbs up calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Hi guys,
I've noticed a lot of Perth dwellers on this forum and need advice.
We are in the starting stages of applying to emmigrate to Perth.
We have never been but done enough homework to decide it's where we'd like to be.
The thing i am finding hard to research is houses and what you get for your money.
This is because a lot of web based real-estate often don't have values stated on properties and want me to ring.Well, i'm still in the uk so don't fancy the call costs.
We'd like to be on the coast,north of Perth.The ocean reef,kalleroo,wanneroo etc. area.
Any places to avoid?
What is the average price of houses in these areas?
We'd like 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as we have 3 kids.
any advice would be great because it will help us work out what we can realistically go for.
I've heard you have to have 12 wage slips before a mortgage can be applied for,can you buy straightaway if you have the cash?

thanx, Lynn
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Re: calling all Perth dwellers,need advise on housing

Hello Lynn,

It,s easy click on www.realestate.com select the state,price and area you want and away you go.

good luck dave
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:20 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Hi guys,
We have never been but done enough homework to decide it's where we'd like to be.
The thing i am finding hard to research is houses and what you get for your money.
This is because a lot of web based real-estate often don't have values stated on properties and want me to ring.Well, i'm still in the uk so don't fancy the call costs.
We'd like to be on the coast,north of Perth.The ocean reef,kalleroo,wanneroo etc. area.
Any places to avoid?
any advice would be great because it will help us work out what we can realistically go for.
I've heard you have to have 12 wage slips before a mortgage can be applied for,can you buy straightaway if you have the cash?

thanx, Lynn
Checkout www.reiwa.com.au you can see the median/min/max house prices for each suburb. You can also select the "What's my house worth?" option will allow you to search for prices on a number of bedrooms. For example, the average house price for a 4 bed in Kallaroo is $526,387.

There are also heaps of properties on there to view as well. The majority have the price on them.

Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:50 am
joveazey

Hi

Kallaroo is very expensive. Ocean Reef is cheaper and very nice and Wanneroo is what you would call undesirable (no offence to anyone who lives there - it's just what I've heard).

Jo

Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi

Kallaroo is very expensive. Ocean Reef is cheaper and very nice and Wanneroo is what you would call undesirable (no offence to anyone who lives there - it's just what I've heard).

Jo
hiya jo

I live south of the river so I am far from clued up on the relative "niceness" of areas NOR but...

According to the local paper Rockingham is the fastest growing suburb in WA, closely followed by Wanneroo....I guess it's come up in the world since you were "informed" it was "undesirable". I would be careful of tarring a place without actually seeing it firsthand....and what's "undesirable" anyway? who and what quantifies it?....sorry no offence meant!

Here is a link to a government link which shows how much each suburb has grown and it projections for the coming years.

http://www.wapc.wa.gov.au/publicatio...ow/WATsec4.pdf

love sophia x
Old Nov 28th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Hi guys,
Any places to avoid?

thanx, Lynn
Hi Lynne

You get what you pay for in this town. Most of the affordable four bed, two bath gaffs tend to be in the Northern Suburbs or a bit further south of the city. Rockingham, Mandurah in the south and Joondalup in the north are examples of the newer areas. Think Milton Keynes without the fake cows and with a bit more sunshine.....

If you want funky surf hippy, look at Scarborough, Cottesloe, South Freo but you'll pay a lot more and probaly won't get the second bathroom.

Good luck !
Old Nov 28th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

By all means have a look on the web to get a feel of what housing is available & prices for each area, but until you arrive & get a feel for the areas it is a virtually impossible decision to make. A lot depends on how much you want to spend too. There are no probs buying a house straight away if you have the cash but I wouldn't rush into it, rent first and decide exactly where you want to be to avoid costly mistakes.

A lot of areas south of the river still offer good value for money so don't rule them out until you've had a good scout around. North of the river, Kallaroo is fairly pricey, with a lot of the housing stock now being quite old (comparatively). Wanneroo is not on the coast. How near the coast do you want to be & how far north?

Loopy
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loopy
Wanneroo is not on the coast. How near the coast do you want to be & how far north?

Loopy
Wannerroo, like Joondalup is a city as well as a suburb.

Ocean Reef is in the City of Joondalup. Mindarie, which is on the coast is in the City of Wanneroo. So Wanneroo is on the coast as well as inland, stretching well into "woop woop".
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth

Ocean Reef is in the City of Joondalup. Mindarie, which is on the coast is in the City of Wanneroo. So Wanneroo is on the coast as well as inland, stretching well into "woop woop".

Yeah, but if you look at housing on reiwa and put in Wanneroo on the suburb list you'll get Wanneroo & not Mindarie, Quinns, Jindalee etc. which are on the coast. So, yes, some of the City Of Wanneroo and some of the City of Joondalup are on the coast.

Loopy
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Lynn

If you use www.telesavers.co.uk you can call OZ for 1p/min

Looked at my UK phone bill yesterday

1h 28mins to OZ - £0.75p
2h 23mins from Essex to Birmingham - £2.19

So it really is cheaper to call OZ than it is to make a national call in the UK

Sorry for being off topic...

You can get a mortgage when you get there (or before) but you will need at least a 20% deposit. I would definately advise you visit before considering buying a house though.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

It's really hard to define undesirable/desirable suburbs. We have rented in Joondalup suburb as it is affordable, close to transport links and there are a variety of ammenities. We also love Yellagonga National Park. However, we are looking at a number of areas in which to buy and taking our time.

We are really disappointed with some of the more exclusive suburbs... you pay more to be nearer the sea, but may well end up with views of ugly McMansions and still not be in walking distance of the sea. Some houses may have good views, but there is the danger of more housing developments springing up, so you have to be careful and do your research.

IMHO Waneroo suburb is "undesirable" because it isn't full of Poms (lol). However, it is less developed, you get more land for your money (as opposed to sterile, rabbit hutches!) and the soil is very fertile, as opposed to the sandy soil of the land nearer to the coast. There are some attractive small holdings in this area, which may appeal if you'd like to keep horses etc.

In all fairness, I think that newer areas like Joondalup town centre are rather Milton Keynsey, but there is a feel that as the city becomes more lived in, it will improve. If I was an investor I would choose to buy there as the suburbs nearer to the city will become more overcrowded over the next 5 to 10 years. For instance, Como (which is a good Southern 'burb, close to the city), the lots are being subdivided and the suburb is becoming denser and hence less desirable.

ATB
Larissa
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Thanx very much everyone for the good advice.
Can I ask,if $526,387 is the typical house price for Kalleroo,what is a typical house price for ocean reef?
To answer your question Loopy,we'd like to be near to the sea as poss in the north of Perth,but maybe not too far away from the highway into the city,so maybe no further than Iluka,what do you think?
Lynn
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth

Hi renth,
I noticed your location is ocean reef,what is house prices like there and would you recommend the place for a family?
Lynn
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Thanx very much everyone for the good advice.
Can I ask,if $526,387 is the typical house price for Kalleroo,what is a typical house price for ocean reef?
To answer your question Loopy,we'd like to be near to the sea as poss in the north of Perth,but maybe not too far away from the highway into the city,so maybe no further than Iluka,what do you think?
Lynn
Hi,

Dunno if this helps at all but we bought a 4x2 - 6 year old house (all dbl bedrooms, games, formal lounge, family, dining, kitchen, dbl garage) in Currambine (suburb between Iluka and Joondalup) for $295,000. Tis about 1.5/2 kms from the beach and only about a 10 min walk to the Currambine train station.

Dave
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi,

Dunno if this helps at all but we bought a 4x2 - 6 year old house (all dbl bedrooms, games, formal lounge, family, dining, kitchen, dbl garage) in Currambine (suburb between Iluka and Joondalup) for $295,000. Tis about 1.5/2 kms from the beach and only about a 10 min walk to the Currambine train station.

Dave

Hi Dave,
that is very helpful.
Are you living there now?
Did you notice if the houses go up a lot as you get nearer to the sea?
How steeply does the price go up?
Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.