Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all NNEBS

Calling all NNEBS

Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:11 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Calling all NNEBS

Didn't get any replies to my previous thread, so here goes again,does anybody know if my NNEB qualification, which I gained in 1989 is any use to me in Queensland.I know in certain states that it has to be post 1993 for potential employers to recognise it.Any sensible, relevant advice most gratefully recieved
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice
Default Re: Calling all NNEBS

Originally Posted by Ben1
Didn't get any replies to my previous thread, so here goes again,does anybody know if my NNEB qualification, which I gained in 1989 is any use to me in Queensland.I know in certain states that it has to be post 1993 for potential employers to recognise it.Any sensible, relevant advice most gratefully recieved

Ben1,

My wife gained her NNEB in 1996, and we managed to secure an employer sponsorship in Adelaide (RSMS visa).

She's now working in a Child care centre whilst Im here trying to sell the house.

Th RSMS visa is a permenant visa and there are a large amount of Queensland postcodes that are eligible under this scheme.

We emailed 6 companies in Adelaide with my wife's CV and were extremely lucky that one of them replied within 2 days.
After a few weeks of returning emails my wife had a telephone interview, and got the job.

We lodged our applications in August 2005 and were granted visa's in March 2006.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further information

Good Luck
Old Jun 27th 2006, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

I have a friend who is the manager of a childrens nursery here on the Gold coast and she has terrible problems getting well qualified staff, everytime she advertises she says she gets nowhere...... so there is a demand for your skills here!

Not sure how you would fare in getting a skills assessment/visa best get some advice from others who have been down this route.

If my friend has any more tips I'll PM you
Old Jun 27th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
I have a friend who is the manager of a childrens nursery here on the Gold coast and she has terrible problems getting well qualified staff, everytime she advertises she says she gets nowhere...... so there is a demand for your skills here!

Not sure how you would fare in getting a skills assessment/visa best get some advice from others who have been down this route.

If my friend has any more tips I'll PM you
Although I had extensive skills and qualifications in childcare, I had to have a bachelor degree to pass the skils assessment. I am now going through the 457 visa path and am going to be running a child day care centre when I get there. I know WA has a severe shortage of qualified childcare staff (as everyone I phoned for jobs told me) but was unable to qualify until I had the degree. I therefore did it through the Open University whilst still working to ensure my previous work experience continued. I had a skills assessment done by Vetasses which only said I qualified for emigration but paid $50 to the department of education who actually told me what me UK qualifications were equivalent to in Oz. This has helped tremendously.

Debs
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:30 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Cherie
I'm answering for my wife who wanted to thank you for the reply and ask where abouts your friend live on the Gold Coast?
Sorry haven't been in touch but our PC is playing up and would not start until today I was just about to go out and buy a new lap top, which I will probably have to do
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Although I had extensive skills and qualifications in childcare, I had to have a bachelor degree to pass the skils assessment. I am now going through the 457 visa path and am going to be running a child day care centre when I get there. I know WA has a severe shortage of qualified childcare staff (as everyone I phoned for jobs told me) but was unable to qualify until I had the degree. I therefore did it through the Open University whilst still working to ensure my previous work experience continued. I had a skills assessment done by Vetasses which only said I qualified for emigration but paid $50 to the department of education who actually told me what me UK qualifications were equivalent to in Oz. This has helped tremendously.

Debs
its good to know (for me anyway) that WA has a shortage of qualified childcare staff, i'm level 3 qualified here - was going to start the foundation degree but I don't have enough time to do it now. I'm not fussed if i don't get the same level in oz - even a nursery assistant would be great - i'm even prepared to do more training (Australian qualification) if it helps me get a job.

Does anyone know if you need a qualification to be a classroom assistant in Australia, I know that some schools here ask for their LSA's to do some training, just wondered if it was the same there.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Thanks Cherie
I'm answering for my wife who wanted to thank you for the reply and ask where abouts your friend live on the Gold Coast?
Sorry haven't been in touch but our PC is playing up and would not start until today I was just about to go out and buy a new lap top, which I will probably have to do
Hi again,
my friend works at a state nursery on the central GC but she'd never heard of local state nurseries sponsering people.... she thought the private ones (now mainly owned by ABC all over Oz) were probably worth you contacting as they may be able to give you better answers to your questions.
Also the GC isn't a regional area or brissie, the sunshine coast is the nearest regional area to us, so you couldn't get RSMS here.
If you really want to come to QLd try contacting queensland skills recognition unit www.training.qld.gov.au/skillsrec/index.htm or tel 00 61 7 3872 0538
I'd also look at what other states are sponsering I think VIC, Tas and SA are most likely of any but they say child care coordinator rather than simply NNEB
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:13 pm
Ben&Jill

Cheers Cherie,
My wife is looking for a job as a NNEB on the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area. But I'm the one being sponsored for the Visa / emigration process, so she only needs to get a job because I'm too tight to let her stop at home
Thanks for the info
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

Cheers Cherie,
My wife is looking for a job as a NNEB on the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area. But I'm the one being sponsored for the Visa / emigration process, so she only needs to get a job because I'm too tight to let her stop at home
Thanks for the info

you led us all down the wrong path !!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=sherie_in_oz]Hi again,
my friend works at a state nursery on the central GC but she'd never heard of local state nurseries sponsering people....

I am going to WA and being sponsored by a State Nursery.

Debs
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:53 pm
Ben&Jill

[QUOTE=woody1cruiser]
Hi again,
my friend works at a state nursery on the central GC but she'd never heard of local state nurseries sponsering people....

Debs
Good luck to you
by the way what qualifications do you hold? NNEB/NVQ3
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Ben1]
Originally Posted by woody1cruiser

Good luck to you
by the way what qualifications do you hold? NNEB/NVQ3
I have a BSC now. When we originally looked at emigrating, I was an NVQ3 but as I am the main applicant and hubby is a truck driver (which doesn't count) I had to study with the Open University to gain the qualifications they wanted whilst still working full time to keep the work experience going. The last 3 years have been a killer but worth it as got a positive skills assessment from Vetasses as well as graded A* with the department of education over there. I am going to be a Childcare co-ordinator/director.

Debs
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=woody1cruiser]
Hi again,

Debs
You'll find all the states do things different here its like being in another country! WA houses are built different, different rules of the road and different licensing rules.

Its also different applying for sponsership as a child care coordinator to simply having the NNEB, ViC, TAS and SA list that they sponser child care coordinators. but QLD doesn't.