Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all geeks, internet connection question

calling all geeks, internet connection question

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice
Default calling all geeks, internet connection question

hi all, just got this wireless iburst chilli internet connection. The connection speed is supposed to be 1mb but seems much slower than the 512k i had back in the uk? My laptop has been playing up a bit recently so not sure whether its the connection or computer, Anyone else using one of theese things and what do you think of it? cheers
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Re: calling all geeks, internet connection question

Check what your actual Internet connection speed is:

http://www.networkwatch.ie/speedchk
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

I use this site in the uk for broadband speedtesting, it should be ok for you in Sydney, just select the recommended server.
I work for Virgin media as a network engineer and I have tried many speedtest sights - try a couple of them as they all seem to give different results.

www.speedtest.net

Last edited by johnnyyt; Jul 19th 2007 at 10:29 pm. Reason: forgot to add web address
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:39 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you in the bush by any chance?

"Actual Speed may vary depending on a number of factors including but not limited to coverage areas"

Originally Posted by tony_russell
hi all, just got this wireless iburst chilli internet connection. The connection speed is supposed to be 1mb but seems much slower than the 512k i had back in the uk? My laptop has been playing up a bit recently so not sure whether its the connection or computer, Anyone else using one of theese things and what do you think of it? cheers
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

cheers, thanks for your replys. i've ran those tests and they came back at 32k! somthing must be wrong. is supposed to be 1mb. i cant have done the limit of 400mb -whatever thats worth, lol, only had it a couple of days. i'll call em tomorrow.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:17 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

cheers, thanks for your replys. i've ran those tests and they came back at 32k! somthing must be wrong. is supposed to be 1mb. i cant have done the limit of 400mb -whatever thats worth, lol, only had it a couple of days. i'll call em tomorrow.
I have a 3G wireless card, one of the tests came back download 162kbps upload 38.3kbps which is a lot slower than the advertised 512-1500kbps, only got the card today so will see if it improves.

The Other test result was:

Last edited by Simba; Jul 20th 2007 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Ask your internet providers techs or engineers/helpline what site they recommend for speedtesting, you may not get a reply though as ALL connection speeds by ALL providers wherever in the world have a get out clause by saying 'up to 1 meg,10 meg etc'. What this means is that the advertised speed may not be available all of the time. Try testing at less busy times when everyone else may not be using at the same time.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth/
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

Telewest/Ntl/Virgin aren't doing too bad at the moment in the UK

Shame its either nice and quick or nothing at all...
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:20 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Cultural shock, it's a feeling that will soon pass (like the urge to wear clothing that distinguishes you from the 'locals') ... it's just the exchange rate ... mate.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:25 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simba
I have a 3G wireless card, one of the tests came back download 162kbps upload 38.3kbps which is a lot slower than the advertised 512-1500kbps, only got the card today so will see if it improves.

The Other test result was:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/157597892.png
Wireless speeds vary due to may conditions namely
- distance to cellsite
- users on cellsite
- qos settings
- user settings & priority settings on the network
- backbone connection to website/core network

basically use it offpeak and have good coverage. Maybe try improving and use HSDPA or NextG for faster connections