Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Financial Advisers.

Calling all Financial Advisers.

Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

platapus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all Financial Advisers.

Hi Darren.

We were hoping to move before xmas to Sydney.We put our meds in at the beginning of August...& are still awaiting the results!

So,who knows!

Clare
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

MarkandCharlotte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

It's great to read about other financial advisers who have made the jump/planning to move.

I'm planning to do my exams with Finsia or Tribeca. Has anyone used these companies? Can exisitng qualifications (Full FPC) be converted/transfered?

I to have taken practive exams and got 60% without having read the material - hopefully it bodes well.

I've spoken to Westpac and NAB about positions within the banking sector which sound OK but would prefer to stay Independent. Any tips?

Many thanks

Mark
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

Hi Mark

I have used Tribeca (now Kaplan) and they have been excellent. I have taken three out of the four DFP exams here in the UK. They have all been 'open book' exams and I have passed comfortably. The assignments that you have to do are more gruelling, I would say.

Not 100% certain but I think that the FPC exams are worthless in Oz.

Cheers

Trev
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkandCharlotte
Hi all,

It's great to read about other financial advisers who have made the jump/planning to move.

I'm planning to do my exams with Finsia or Tribeca. Has anyone used these companies? Can exisitng qualifications (Full FPC) be converted/transfered?

I to have taken practive exams and got 60% without having read the material - hopefully it bodes well.

I've spoken to Westpac and NAB about positions within the banking sector which sound OK but would prefer to stay Independent. Any tips?

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,

Have you tested the waters with any Independent firms in Australia to see how receptive they would be to employing a UK IFA? Maybe even putting them (the IFA) through the relevant exams?

Who did you contact at Westpac and NAB and what kind of positions were they offering?

Although I would prefer to remain independent I intent to work less hours when I move to Perth in order to have more of a life (more in keeping with the reasons for moving) so an employed position would be something I would look into.

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Hi Trev/Darren,

Thanks for your replies.

Trev - How much have the exams cost your with Kaplan? The ones with Finsia seem to be around £300 each which I think is a bit steep.

Darren - I haven't contacted any independent firms as I too am planning to get an employed role if possible, although I was hoping to be able to offer whole of amrket advice - not sure how this will pan out.

I attended the Expo Australia at manchester yesterday and met with NAB and Westpac. Westpac had sent their recruitment lady over from sydney and so they seemed pretty keen to get people on board. They have different levels of adviser.

Firtly, their basic planner dealing with the "mums and dads" clients, then the next level is dealing with HNW clients, then senior planners - for this role you need all FP exams.

NAB didn't have as much info but did give me a list of their preferred recruitment suppliers with contact details. Worth the 2 hour drive to Manchester.

I also have email addresses for the people I met, happy to pass them.

Thanks guys,

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkandCharlotte

<snip>

I also have email addresses for the people I met, happy to pass them.

Thanks guys,

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. If you could pass on those email addresses I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

Hi, my husband worked as a Finanical Planner for Barclays while in UK. He is now working for Commonwealth Bank as a Financial Planner. He did the FINSIA exams here in Perth, anyone need any details let me know and I'll ask him about them.
BTW he had FPC 1,2 and 3 and they count for nothing here you still have to do their exams.

Cath

Last edited by cj23; Oct 29th 2007 at 10:04 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Cath,

Thanks for the info. Did you husband have to wait untilhe'd done the exams before he could work or did he train with the commonwealth bank?

If you don't mind me asking, what is his approx salary?

Does he have any contacts at commonwealth bank I could use regarding recruitment?

Best wishes,

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

Hi Mark,

The banks here don't seem interested until you have done the exams, so yes he had to do all the exams then went for interviews.
Once you have the exams under your hat it should be so easy to get a job as there is a shortage of financial planners.
Basic salary for a FP you are looking at around $60-70,000 plus super.
He applied through employment agency Hays here in Perth, who were really good and on the ball.

Cath
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TrickyTrev
Hi Mark

I have used Tribeca (now Kaplan) and they have been excellent. I have taken three out of the four DFP exams here in the UK. They have all been 'open book' exams and I have passed comfortably. The assignments that you have to do are more gruelling, I would say.

Not 100% certain but I think that the FPC exams are worthless in Oz.

Cheers

Trev
Hi Trev,

How much did you pay to take the exams and were they done at home or in a local learning centre? We live in leicestershire.

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aus2be
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. If you could pass on those email addresses I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Darren
Darren,

I don't want to post the email addresses on this forum as I was given the details in confidence but would be happy to email them to you.

Mark

(Mods note - you can email via the member's public profile; please don't post any email addresses on the forum)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

We live in Leicestershire.My husband sent off for the books & can do it at home with Kaplan.I think they used to be Tribeca.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

It was expensive to get the stuff.He needed 3 sets of books etc & I think it was around £1000 ish.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Platapus,

I see you're plannign to move before xmas to sydney, has your husband already got a job or is he planning to sort one out when he gets there? I've been hoping to sort out a job before moving but have been told by Sydney based recruiters that this is unlikely unless I am willing to attend interviews in Oz. Has your husband had better luck? and if so, how?

Also,

any tips you can give on short term housing in Sydney would be great.

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

My husband is setting up his own IFA business with an Australian IFA.

We are staying here for xmas as my parents are really upset & thought we had better let the kids stay for xmas.

We are also looking at renting in Sydney,I am going out at the end of November for a fortnight to sort out schools & housing.

Where abouts are you looking to rent?

Clare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.