Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Butchers!

Calling all Butchers!

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice
Default Calling all Butchers!

Please can you help. Can you tell me if I am able to buy an UNSMOKED joint of ham here in OZ? When I ask at the butchers the reply that I receive is that I should buy a leg of pork
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Butchers!

Originally Posted by smude
Please can you help. Can you tell me if I am able to buy an UNSMOKED joint of ham here in OZ? When I ask at the butchers the reply that I receive is that I should buy a leg of pork
That's what unsmoked ham is! Ham is the smoked, cured leg of a pig.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Smoking is a way of curing ham. You can salt cure pork to produce ham I'd do wet cure rather than dry cure. You've left it late for Christmas if thats what you wanted.
Have a look at River Cottage website http://www.rivercottage.net he tells you how to cure your own pork with or without the kipper taste

Last edited by Thydney; Dec 23rd 2008 at 9:41 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Thanks Dorothy - you sound like the butcher
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thydney
Smoking is a way of curing ham. You can salt cure pork to produce ham I'd do wet cure rather than dry cure. You've left it late for Christmas if thats what you wanted.
Have a look at River Cottage website http://www.rivercottage.net he tells you how to cure your own pork with or without the kipper taste
No don't want for Christmas - just curious that whilst in the uk you could buy bacon or ham, smoked or unsmoked - here it seems that everything is smoked. Just wandered if you can buy anything unsmoked - if so what do I ask for. ....cured? Fancy a nice piece of unsmoked gammon.

Maybe my taste buds will have to adjust.....
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:53 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

No don't want for Christmas - just curious that whilst in the uk you could buy bacon or ham, smoked or unsmoked - here it seems that everything is smoked. Just wandered if you can buy anything unsmoked - if so what do I ask for. ....cured? Fancy a nice piece of unsmoked gammon.

Maybe my taste buds will have to adjust.....
Honestly if you're going to do it you'll want a leg or I'd get a loin. You tend to get smoked stuff in hotter climates because it's drier than normal stuff so is less likely to spoil.

All ham/bacon is cured pork. Smoked is dried in a smoke house as opposed to dried with salt (like proscuitto ham) or in brine which is what we get mainly in the uk.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Theres some good threads on here about how/where you can get it - its especially a problem in Qld where its hard to get hold of any unsmoked ham/bacon. Do a search on unsmoked bacon and you should find some info.
Best solution Cresta57 and I have come up with is to look for joints of Pickled Pork - not every butcher does them, but its the closest you'll get up here at least.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy - you sound like the butcher
Not a butcher, but I do like my food
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Pat. . . .PAT!

PAT!!!

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 24th 2008 at 2:51 am.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy a leg of pickled pork, it's exactly the same taste as a joint of ham from the U.K. Here in Aus every ham seems to be smoked, so is the bacon for that matter. The annoying thing is that most of it's not traditional wood smoke it's just a flavouring additive that butchers add to the saline solution [brine] that the ham is cured with. I have come to accept the bacon as smoked but ham yuck My butcher now does me a nice leg of pickled pork, he also slices a kilo or so thinly so it can be fried as unsmoked bacon
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Just buy a gammon joint and do it in the slow cooker
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I normally do a gammon for Xmas eve, but can't find it here- everything is pre cooked. Thanks for the tip on pickled pork- is it really like the old bacon joints that you boil????
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:58 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Thanks for the tip on pickled pork- is it really like the old bacon joints that you boil????
Yes
Old Dec 25th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies everyone should have carried out a search.....how stupied do I feel now that I have. Usually do but didn't think that anyone would be as desperate as me for good old unsmoked ham/bacon....... how wrong was I.

But thanks again to those that did reply.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:13 pm
Still alive

Apologies everyone should have carried out a search.....how stupied do I feel now that I have. Usually do but didn't think that anyone would be as desperate as me for good old unsmoked ham/bacon....... how wrong was I.

But thanks again to those that did reply.
Did you find your unsmoked ham, though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.