Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all auz students

calling all auz students

Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:33 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default calling all auz students

hello

just wanted to know if anyone knew exactly how much it costs to study in Auz and if you are entitled to student allowences like loans, grants etc....???

I looked on a uni web site and it stated that the fees were $43.500 per year? Surely this cant be right as nobody would be able to afford to study in Auz and I had heard that it was cheaper then studying in England??

I would be very interested if anyone has any info at all about studying in Auz, either on a student visa or PR visa, as am considering finishing my course over there if possible, and I was wondering how you all manage.

cheers in advance for any replies.

laura
xxx
Old Apr 12th 2004, 1:47 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calling all auz students

Originally posted by lauralollipop
hello

just wanted to know if anyone knew exactly how much it costs to study in Auz and if you are entitled to student allowences like loans, grants etc....???

I looked on a uni web site and it stated that the fees were $43.500 per year? Surely this cant be right as nobody would be able to afford to study in Auz and I had heard that it was cheaper then studying in England??

I would be very interested if anyone has any info at all about studying in Auz, either on a student visa or PR visa, as am considering finishing my course over there if possible, and I was wondering how you all manage.

laura
xxx
just bumping this up, sorry guys

laura
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:00 pm
Australian Flyer

Pedro Downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am too considering studying is OZ and indeed it is very expensive for an international student. The fees per year ( Course only and not living expenses) ranges from 11 thousand A$ to 19 Thousand depending which degree you select.

The overall price of the degree will be around 45/50 Thousand Australian Dollars and living expenses is not included

Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:19 pm

Originally posted by Pedro Downunder
Hello,

I am too considering studying is OZ and indeed it is very expensive for an international student. The fees per year ( Course only and not living expenses) ranges from 11 thousand A$ to 19 Thousand depending which degree you select.

The overall price of the degree will be around 45/50 Thousand Australian Dollars and living expenses is not included

Yes thats what is says on the web sites, but I do wonder how people actually manage to fund themselves if this is the case??

surely there must be a way to fund the degree or no-one would do it??

laura
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:23 pm
Australian Flyer

Hello,

According to my calculations i will need 3 years saving before i can do my Degree in Australia! If i decide to go ahead with it.

How others finance they studies, im not sure maybe a percentage of them get AusAid, but if im not mistaken AusAid is only available to people from poor and undeveloped countries.

Pedro
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:24 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

FloweroScotland has just moved to the Gold Coast to study she might be able to help.
Have a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=223277

Good Luck
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:28 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on username flowerofscotland think they are doing study in Oz and had quite a good tread going before about this.

All I know is that at international student rates its huge at Uni level(Tafe a little less but no degrees as far as I know)

PR rates are a lot lower.There is also defered payment options and large discount(I think up to 25%)for payment up front.Unsure what you have to meet to be able to take advantage of edfered payment option i.e if you have to have payed tax for a certain length of time etc.

Some uni's are financing themselves based on their international students rates alone.If you do get PR and study check out how many credits you can get thus lowering your time at UNI.Distance education is also quite good with residential schools etc
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:33 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BKate
Hi,

FloweroScotland has just moved to the Gold Coast to study she might be able to help.
Have a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=223277

Good Luck
this is the one I was looking for before

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=201636
Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:55 pm

Originally posted by seang
this is the one I was looking for before

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=201636

thanks all,

I'll check out that link and see what i can find out.

laura
xx
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

bob1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi laura

i know this is an old post but i've only just seen it. i was in Oz for just over a year and when i was there i was looking into doing my nursing there. i'm affraid that unless your absolutely loaded there is no way that you will be able to do it. as an international student you are not entitled to any financial help what so ever from the Oz gov. you also can not get any loans at all as only oz citizens are entlitled to these. the only way that you may be able to do it is by getting loans from an ozzie bank. only thing
is that it's very unlikely that they will give you a loan as you will have no oz credit rating and will not be on a perminant visa and therefore can not granantee the loan. oz citizens can manage to go to uni because the fees that they have to pay are not nearly as high as they are for an international student and they can get these loans. i worked out that for me to do my course there i would need 30 000 pounds!!!!!! (yes that was pounds not dollars) sorry to bring bad news but i realy looked into it and there was really very little way of getting around it. also scholarships were reserved mainly for people from thrid world countries. best thng to do is get qualified over here and then go over

bob
xxx
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

laura have seen from your previous threads that you are a student nurse

do your training over here girl and if you to get sponsored you only have to have 6 months experience to go

i know people knock it but its the best training in the world thats why british nurses are snapped up wherever they go

arlene
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:35 pm
Australian Flyer

30 000 pounds
Very True,

My calculations were roughly that figure
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Carn the Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation studying

Locals can defer all tutition fees under HECS system. The govt taxes you a little extra to recoup their money when you earn a decent income ($30K??). In general its charged about $3-5000 for every year of study.

However international students and full fee paying students will have to pay a premium ie maybe $20K.

If uni is not your thing there's TAFE for diploma courses (hospitality etc).
Old Apr 14th 2004, 8:36 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

hello

laura

Hi Laura

My daughter is in Freo at uni started in feb and loves it. She has gone out before us so at the moment is an international student.
If you look on the site back to about jan time you will fine a student thread with flower of scotland and kentcoast relating to the fee structure that we both experienced and it was different. I would attach it for you but I don't know how to sorry. We found all universities that daughter applied to to be very helpful we visited Notre Dame prior to her accepting the offer (this was our choice as daughter 18 and would not know anyone when she arrived in oz, although we have make friends with others from the expat site who had said they are happy for her to have their address if she needed help). We had to prove funding for the entire course (4yrs) this was different to the info we had originally been given. Dependent on course applied for you may or may not need medicals to attend the course, she did but she needed one for the PR visa anyway (one medical does both if you are applying in the same year). Sidney is more expensive to study and live but from our research everywhere else seemed to be much the same, the course fees (teaching) seem to be between $11,000-13,000 per year, once on PR visa they drop so we have told to about half but we will wait and see.
hope this helps
xxx
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:30 pm

Originally posted by arlene
laura have seen from your previous threads that you are a student nurse

do your training over here girl and if you to get sponsored you only have to have 6 months experience to go

i know people knock it but its the best training in the world thats why british nurses are snapped up wherever they go

arlene

HELLO

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

I have decided to wait till I am qualified here, unless i win the lotto....it will probley take that long to get my PR visa anyways!! lol!!

laura
xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.