Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all 15 year old boys

calling all 15 year old boys

Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Couldn't agree with you more. Stick by your guns and he should eventually realise that there is no alternative for him. 15yr olds may be 'more clued up than we give them credit for' as someone said, but nearly zero life experience! Try to watch as many aussie programmes on the telly as you can, Sky TV is brilliant for this. There are plenty of programmes on the travel channels about the beaches and lifestyle. The sight of a few girls in bikini's is sure to turn a 15yr olds head! Especially when you tell him that that's how they dress all the time!

Be a bit biased in what you tell him. Start 'Tut-tut'-ing at all the news articles about illegal immigrants, dole bludgers, drug crimes etc. and tell him that he has probably not got a very good chance of a decent future in the UK, and that you are doing this because you love him and you want him to have a chance in life.

Leaving his mates will be hard, but ask him how many times his mates will be able to go surfing, scuba diving etc. this year. Ask him if his mates will be able to go down to the beach after school. Ask him if he wants a job in Mc Donalds for the rest of his life.

Steve.
Steve!!

And what happens when this boy finds out there are just as many dole bludgers in OZ, that drug problems are pretty much the same, crime is no better either. That Youth unemployment is huge and McDonalds is probably where he will end up working!!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:04 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by dotty
Steve!!

And what happens when this boy finds out there are just as many dole bludgers in OZ and McDonalds is probably where he will end up working!!
Then I'll probably get served quicker!

All I'm trying to say is that 15yrs are still the responsibility of the parent and this one has to realise that the world does not revolve around him. Although they think it does, they have virtually no lifeexperience and his mum knows whats best. It is a big move, and to get him there she may have to be a bit tricky! You never fibbed to your kids to try and steer them the right way?

Steve
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: calling all 15 year old boys

Did he jump for joy when he started school? And if he didn't, would that have been a reason for his not going?

Does he have any interests that have greater opportunities for fulfilment in Oz? Like winning at cricket?

Your cause is just and he is in the minority when it comes to preventing it happen. I think it will encourage good parenting skills in him if he sees you pursue what is right and not merely indulge his ill informed, immature decision. Is there any spirit of adventure?

A friend of our family (a widow) is going through hell with her thirty plus year old son (non-immigration issue). From the outside looking in, she is reaping the harvest of being his doormat almost since birth.

A moral there I believe.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

This may seem really strange bit we live opposite Rosie and Morrie.
they are going De Facto visa we are skilled independant visa, both are really lovely people, but I think they are playing into Jack`s hands. (sorry Rosie and Morrie)
He said he wasnt having the medical, but on the day he had it. I also think he is playing `mind games` with them. he has said he is not going, and to save his pride he is not changing his mind. Deep down the chances are that he possibly may be looking forward to going, but there is no way he is going to admit to it.
We have 2 boys , aged 12 and 16, both are very pally with Jack, so hopefully soon we will all be there together.

Chin up Rosie and Morrie.
I know both of you well, as well as Jack. He is just being a moody teenager and I bet you any money he will go.....he will be moaning......but he will go
Love
sandra
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty
And what happens when this boy finds out there are just as many dole bludgers in OZ, that drug problems are pretty much the same, crime is no better either. That Youth unemployment is huge and McDonalds is probably where he will end up working!!
He won't be homesick any more will he?