Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Called a Second Class citizen this week

Called a Second Class citizen this week

Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Called a Second Class citizen this week

I have been working at a new job about a month and I have been getting a lot of jokey comments and put downs from one guy about being english. I have just shrugged it off and laughed along as you do. Until it came to a head yesterday.
I got a hostile angry lecture from him about how he hates the english, I got called all sorts, but the one that stuck in my gut the most was being called a second class citizen.
I worked hard and spent a lot of money to get citizenship and it bothers me to think that aussies would think of it as some kind of charity, lower class citizen.

Has anyone else had this attitude from an aussie?,
I have to sit next to this guy in the office everyday and I am a bit unsure how to deal with this next week, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Called a Second Class citizen this week

Originally Posted by dave99
I have been working at a new job about a month and I have been getting a lot of jokey comments and put downs from one guy about being english. I have just shrugged it off and laughed along as you do. Until it came to a head yesterday.
I got a hostile angry lecture from him about how he hates the english, I got called all sorts, but the one that stuck in my gut the most was being called a second class citizen.
I worked hard and spent a lot of money to get citizenship and it bothers me to think that aussies would think of it as some kind of charity, lower class citizen.

I have to sit next to this guy in the office everyday and I am a bit unsure how to deal with this next week, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tell him to stop with the racist comments or you will report him to your supervisor/manager.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:09 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tell him to stop with the racist comments or you will report him to your supervisor/manager.
Or piss in his coffee cup. If he asks why you are smiling when you see him taking a sip, just say - "nuthin' "
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. All Aussie's do not feel like that and he is completely out if line. He's either trying to get a rise out of you in what he thinks is a clever way, it's not, or feels threatened by you. Or maybe both. He's being racist and you do not need to put up with it. If he tries it on again say, loudly in other people's presence with a smile in your face, "that's another racist comment I'll just pop into the notebook I'm compiling to hand to hr/manager and would he care to make anymore just now, or later on?" If that doesn't shame him then really do make a note and raise it. You are not a second class citizen and don't let anyone tell you you are. Same sort if thing happened to me in Scotland (I'm Aussie, lived in UK for 11 years) and this worked a treat.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Or you could just, again loudly and within hearing of others, ask him why he's being such a fool and tell him all he's proving is that he must have a second class education. Or something. (Just conscious that Aussies are pretty famous for not liking people who 'whinge' and, even if your other colleagues think he's an idiot, taking it down official channels might make them side with him).

Stand up to him like the bully he is. (And tell him that's what you're doing - in front of others that's gotta make him feel small.)

Oh yeah, and he's not being racist - he's being a xenophobe - so you could chuck that word at him and blind him with semantics
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Deal with it pronto Dave. Don't let it carry on.

http://au.reachout.com/Factsheets/A/...place-bullying
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:17 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

This is harassment and bullying in the workplace and also of course because you are being singled out it is racial discrimination. It would be easier for all parties to see if he were ranting in this way at a Vietnamese person but happily in law there is no distinction. I would have a word with him and tell him to can it or it's going to the boss. If it continued I would go to the boss and inform him that if it continues I will be forced to take it elsewhere. From your previous posts I believe you are in WA?? So -

"In Western Australia, racial discrimination is unlawful in the areas of education, employment, access to places and vehicles, provision of goods and services, accommodation and land, and clubs. The Western Australian Act also has specific provisions making racial harassment unlawful in the areas of employment, education and accommodation.

Under the Western Australian Act, "race" includes colour, descent, ethnic or national origin and nationality. The Western Australian Act also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person on the ground that the person has a relative or associate who is of a particular race."

Don't let it go on or you will get ground down and depressed. This person is not only being a dickhead he is also breaking the law and bringing the company you work for a lot of potential legal problems.

Last edited by Zen10; Sep 8th 2012 at 10:19 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
Oh yeah, and he's not being racist - he's being a xenophobe - so you could chuck that word at him and blind him with semantics

Add to that a pointed question, such as "your last name is 'Smith' (or whatever assuming it is an English/whatever-sounding name) isn't? That doesn't sound too indigenous Australian does it? When did your parents/grandparents get off the boat? And where they born Australian?"

Beat him at his own game. Unless he is Aborigine, I doubt he will be able to prove that his entire lineage is Australian.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:39 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i am an economy class citizen.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to HR immediately or to a manager.Nip it in the bud.He will just continue and keep picking on you.No doubt this isn't the first time and wont be the last unless someone stands up to him.Good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

emmaosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Acquiring Aussie citizenship does not make you a second class citizen. It's tough in a new job but your other colleagues probably know what he is like, obviously he is not the brightest on the planet.
My advice is either play it cool, show no reaction and hopefully he will get bored of it or you go on the offensive. If you go offensive i would recommend trying it with humour. Next time he says he hates English people just try a line like 'what happened, did a pommie sleep with your girlfriend?'
If it persists then unfortunately you may have to go officially to your boss, if he is as stupid as he seems they probably will know already, good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tell him to stop AND report his racist comments to your manager.

These type of people WILL screw you over in some way, at some time. Even if they don't move him, by reporting his comments you give yourself some protection if he does fabricate something.

Ahh, office politics - why don't they teach this in schools?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Write down everything he says, including date, time and where, then go to his superior. He won't be laughing then..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

or just punch him in the face with a brick..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

When i first started my job i was in a similiar position, I was getting lots of hurtful comments from the asian doctors and nurses (which is about 50per cent of our workforce). I eventually lost my rag and telephoned our clinical educator to come down, and told her of the event that had unfolded (it was lots of comments about my accent, but the repetition began to get to me). Her and I then approached the doctor and nurse involved. I told him i was very offended at these repeated remarks and the next time i would be reporting it to H.R, .......... worked a treat, especially as he replied, oh your just like the indian nurses??, word soon got around the dept that i wouldnt take the shit! and funny enough everyone seemed to get better at understanding my accent!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 9th 2012 at 1:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.