Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calculating date for citizenship

Calculating date for citizenship

Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:04 am
Just Joined

TravellingSi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calculating date for citizenship

I expect this has been covered somewhere in another post but anyway...

I am trying to calculate the date when we would be eligible for Oz Citizenship.

We first entered Oz in June 04 on a 457 visa and stayed until Nov 2005 after which we were in the UK.

Until, July 07 when we came back to OZ on a different 457 visa.

We were granted PR in March 2009.

I know that the 20 months on our 457 visa between July 07 & Mar 09 can be counted towards the 4 year residence requirement and also that we need a year on our permanent visas, but what I don't know is if I can count 12 months of the time that we were in the UK (without an OZ visa) as the 12 months we are allowed to be outside Oz under the 4 year rule?

If we can then we will be eligible in Aug 2010, if we can't include this time then it will be a year later - Aug 2011.

The calculator on the IMMI website doesn't really help much as the result depends on which date I enter for our lawful residence date, the first 457 or the second one.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calculating date for citizenship

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...ligibility.htm

-------

People who became permanent residents on or after 1 July 2007 must have been lawfully resident in Australia for four years immediately before applying including:

* 12 months as a permanent resident
and
* absences from Australia of no more than 12 months, including no more than ninety (90) days in the 12 months before applying.

--------

Looks to me like you could apply in August 2010. Have you done the Citizenship Test?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TravellingSi
The calculator on the IMMI website doesn't really help much as the result depends on which date I enter for our lawful residence date, the first 457 or the second one.
I dont think it matters.

If you enter the lawful residence date as the date you entered Australia on your first 457, but also correctly enter all the dates you were absent from Australia the calculator should still give you the correct result.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I dont think it matters.

If you enter the lawful residence date as the date you entered Australia on your first 457, but also correctly enter all the dates you were absent from Australia the calculator should still give you the correct result.
sounds like the right option to me!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TravellingSi
I expect this has been covered somewhere in another post but anyway...

I am trying to calculate the date when we would be eligible for Oz Citizenship.

We first entered Oz in June 04 on a 457 visa and stayed until Nov 2005 after which we were in the UK.

Until, July 07 when we came back to OZ on a different 457 visa.

We were granted PR in March 2009.

I know that the 20 months on our 457 visa between July 07 & Mar 09 can be counted towards the 4 year residence requirement and also that we need a year on our permanent visas, but what I don't know is if I can count 12 months of the time that we were in the UK (without an OZ visa) as the 12 months we are allowed to be outside Oz under the 4 year rule?

If we can then we will be eligible in Aug 2010, if we can't include this time then it will be a year later - Aug 2011.

try making a trip to the immigration department in sydney, whichever is closest to you. No harm trying.

I went to the immigration office in perth and asked, they calculated the time and how long you do have till you qualify.