Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns - work prospects?

Cairns - work prospects?

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cairns - work prospects?

Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any info on Cairns regarding the size of the town/city/CBD whatever?

We love the look of the suburbs, the tropical lifestyle (wife born S.Africa, stopped in Singapore last year, loved the climate etc.) we know it's hot,sticky,humid, touristy and they have stingers in the sea but our MAIN concern is wether we will be able to find work there.

I am a draughtsman, my wife will be a mental health nurse.

Anyone any idea ? I've checked the jobs websites and most jobs for CAD drafters seem to be in brissie as you would expect but surely there must be some civil engineering firms with offices in cairns?
Don't want to contact agencies yet as not going for 3 years (as some of you may have read already! )
Any links to sites about Cairns also very welcome.

thanks,

andy
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:50 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns - work prospects?

Originally Posted by cadman
Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any info on Cairns regarding the size of the town/city/CBD whatever?

We love the look of the suburbs, the tropical lifestyle (wife born S.Africa, stopped in Singapore last year, loved the climate etc.) we know it's hot,sticky,humid, touristy and they have stingers in the sea but our MAIN concern is wether we will be able to find work there.

I am a draughtsman, my wife will be a mental health nurse.

Anyone any idea ? I've checked the jobs websites and most jobs for CAD drafters seem to be in brissie as you would expect but surely there must be some civil engineering firms with offices in cairns?
Don't want to contact agencies yet as not going for 3 years (as some of you may have read already! )
Any links to sites about Cairns also very welcome.

thanks,

andy
Hi there...others might not ask the question.....but I will, the population of cairns is about 120K, you would not get good job prospects in a 'village/town' this size in the UK so why could you expect it in Cairns? The nursing side I can understand but Computer wise, surely they can download from a better equiped area?

links I know

http://www.htwcairns.site-ezy.com/overviewofcairns.html

and most of that is township hype!

Qualified people coming to Aus are having issues getting well paid jobs in major cities in the short term....sorry I sound mean, I am just saying it as I see.

If you are going for something other than career.....go for it, otherwise I would not suggest a move to cairns unless it is a base for a well paid overseas job in Asia.

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Cadman,

Dont know about Cairns for CAD work, but Perth is seriously short on Drafties in all engineering fields. They are paying good money for it too, especially those with 12D experience. All jobs are based in Perth metro.

What type of CAD do you work on?

Muzza
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Cadman,

Dont know about Cairns for CAD work, but Perth is seriously short on Drafties in all engineering fields. They are paying good money for it too, especially those with 12D experience. All jobs are based in Perth metro.

What type of CAD do you work on?

Muzza
Cheers Muzza,

I use AutoCAD 2002. I've seen this 12D mentioned in many of the job ad's over there - I've never heard of it! any idea what it is/who makes it etc?

Thing is we're not going to oz for another 3 years so not actually looking for work at the mo, more trying to sort out where we're going to live.
Thought about Perth for cheapness of houses and believe there's quite a few firms there for civ. eng., though about brisbane - plenty of construction going on but dearer houses, then decided that Cairns is ideal - cheaper housing than Brisbane, tropical green climate, just don't know if there's any work there.

andy.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandra
Hi there...others might not ask the question.....but I will, the population of cairns is about 120K, you would not get good job prospects in a 'village/town' this size in the UK so why could you expect it in Cairns? The nursing side I can understand but Computer wise, surely they can download from a better equiped area?

links I know

http://www.htwcairns.site-ezy.com/overviewofcairns.html

and most of that is township hype!

Qualified people coming to Aus are having issues getting well paid jobs in major cities in the short term....sorry I sound mean, I am just saying it as I see.

If you are going for something other than career.....go for it, otherwise I would not suggest a move to cairns unless it is a base for a well paid overseas job in Asia.

Cheers
thanks for the reply sandra,

I know what you mean about small town but 120k people - that's the same size as town I'm from originally (Warrington) and there's loads of work there.
I would think even Cairns has a few local Civil Engineering firms who do local work for local people , even if they are local offices of the larger firms who's main offices are in brisbane.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:39 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply sandra,

I know what you mean about small town but 120k people - that's the same size as town I'm from originally (Warrington) and there's loads of work there.
I would think even Cairns has a few local Civil Engineering firms who do local work for local people , even if they are local offices of the larger firms who's main offices are in brisbane.
I think you are being enthusiastic saying Warrington has near a 120K population

but to also be serious!! The town is near other metropolis centres so this does have a knock on effect, eg peops have businesses there rather than face the expense of a city price. Now seriously who is going to move to Cairns to keep office costs down?

Work with me here - I am not being a pain, I do know CAD stuff, and I know I am working in Sydney rather than Melbourne cause of my skills - I went where the work is. My husband is a top shot printer and we needed to go to Melbourne to sell his skills.....hence you adapt..bend or go bugger it and enjoy?!

So you best bet......go have a Ball, and hope to prove the doubters wrong?

Best of luck
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now seriously who is going to move to Cairns to keep office costs down?

So you best bet......go have a Ball, and hope to prove the doubters wrong?

Best of luck
As long as my wife gets a job in nursing I'll be quite happy to kick back, chill out and relax! I've already told her I've been supporting her for years, now it's her turn!

Rather than to save city costs, firms are likely to have an office there for local projects, even if it's a satellite (sp?) office.

Fingers crossed, if not it'll have to be brissie...or perth where I know theres loads of work. (at the moment anyway! - by the time I get there it'll have all gone probably knowing my luck!)

cheers,

Andy.

BTW - pop. Warrington = 192,000 at the last census, apparently.
Probably 120k when I left about 13 years ago.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

BTW - pop. Warrington = 192,000 at the last census, apparently.
Probably 120k when I left about 13 years ago.
Opps sorry Andy...my check on Warrington, came up with 94K....but then I must have been checking the CBD? rather then the city

Please understand I am trying to be humourous I come from the CITY of Belfast and my understanding is we made it past 200K!

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

No probs sandra, I don't hold any particular affection for warrington TBH, even though I now live in Birkenhead !!

Appreciate your comments/advice, just hoping against hope that there might be some possibility of a job in cairns for me. I have seen them advertised in cairns before I'm sure. Might not be many but I only need 1!
Kind of resigned ourselves to city living / working even though we've never had to do it here but I appreciate that Oz is more city oriented for professionals (not that I'm in any way professional ! ).

If we have to we'll live in suburbia just would like to live in a smallish town somewhere north of bris.

Andy.

PS - did the 130k for cairns come from the same source?
Opps sorry Andy...my check on Warrington, came up with 94K....but then I must have been checking the CBD? rather then the city

Please understand I am trying to be humourous I come from the CITY of Belfast and my understanding is we made it past 200K!

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:42 pm
Gone Senile Member

No probs sandra, I don't hold any particular affection for warrington TBH, even though I now live in Birkenhead !!

Appreciate your comments/advice, just hoping against hope that there might be some possibility of a job in cairns for me. I have seen them advertised in cairns before I'm sure. Might not be many but I only need 1!
Kind of resigned ourselves to city living / working even though we've never had to do it here but I appreciate that Oz is more city oriented for professionals (not that I'm in any way professional ! ).

If we have to we'll live in suburbia just would like to live in a smallish town somewhere north of bris.

Andy.

PS - did the 130k for cairns come from the same source?
Right you got me interested....I have been running processes for my testing database, and have had time to surf while chatting on here! yeh for automation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairns

also this site says pop of Belfast is 277K....gone up since my day 18 yrs ago!

and for Warrrington....yep you have got a figure on this site about 193K......

I know this is boring others and you possibly need to start another thread about CAD work in Cairns now I have bored you all rigid. I must now go to bed cause it is 3.30 here in NZ.

Population of Auckland 1,199K approx - population NZ just over 4M.....which means 25% of the pop live in Auckland......which is where the jobs are but I am still not moving here to live!!!

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Sandra, you and me up late again mate!!! Agree with the idea that Cairns may be a little off the beaten track as far as Cadman is concerned. Although its a good size for Qld it stands on its own, no support from surrounding towns as they are all a long distance away - something that is hard to grasp till you experience the gaps between places here.

Cadman - try a pm to Scrawni and to Steandleigh - both used to post a lot, but now not so often so may not see the thread, but both are up in Cairns and can give you life there, warts and all!

Too humid for me, even Brisbane is slowly killing me, but it suits some people

PS Sandra, what are you doing back in NZ???!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
PS Sandra, what are you doing back in NZ???!
Pollyanna You noticed !!!! I am only doing 5 days......leave this Saturday, I came because it was the agreement they buy me loads of Guinness this Friday! And I will give credit in the Southern Hemisphere the Guinness in NZ is much better than Aus.

hence I am now at 3.50 am .......gosh I am impressed with Auckland as usual! I keep promising myself I will go to bed but British Expats wins when giving my life entertainment in NZ

Please no one take offence this is purely me being a wassock!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the trip is worth it for the Guinness! Only 1am here and I can hear the grumbling "aren't you ever coming to bed, woman!" so I guess I shall have to leave you to it!
Enjoy ( :scared: ) the rest of the trip!! I remember your views from last time
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Found out on Seek.com.au that Smith Knight Merz (respected aussie consultants, I think they did the olympic stadium deign) have an office in Cairns, anyone know of any others or how I can find out if there are any others?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:27 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Hi Cadman

I am a drafty too but I too think you will be short of work up there. I haven't been so could be wrong but I have spent time in Darwin which I belive is simular to Carins and Darwin didn't look too great for Drafting.

I spoke to my sisters fella last week as he is a QS and he was saying due to the recent boom in Perth some draftys are get $60-70 an hour! When I worked in Sydney in 2000 I was getting $28 an hour and found that to be quite comfortable so $70 seems good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.